Takamine C132S

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Takamine C132S

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Still looking for a low end guitar just for carrying around to my students' homes. I see a Takamine C132S online for $300 with case. Trying to find out what year, but it probably doesn't matter much. Any thoughts on this guitar in general. It seems they've been making this model for a lot of years.
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

GuitarVlog

Re: Takamine C132S

Post by GuitarVlog » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:56 pm

$300? Definitely worth checking out. They usually go for $450-$500 used. Made in Japan. Solid top and back.

I must have played five of these: 3 new and 2 old. New ones don't always distinguish themselves against the top-end models in the Yamaha CG line, but they seem to age rather well. Current models have truss rods. Older ones didn't have them. Action from the factory is on the high-side. Tone and projection of the better ones were equivalent to my Kenny Hill Estudio 45S. Build and materials are better. You'll probably like the neck profile.

In a conversation that we had. luthier John Mello implied that the C132S was the oft-recommended budget instrument and budget-benchmark for those who were going into a conservatory program. I don't know if his perspective is a little dated since, as you said, this model has been around for years. John had never seen a Yamaha CG171SF and he was rather amused when I showed it to him and told him how much it cost.

EDIT: Post-Script: As you've probably begun to surmise PC, I've done a lot of shopping and comparing in the under-$1K category. Of course, it also helps when one has friends who buy a lot of guitars.

EDIT: EDIT: One thing you'll find about these is that (like Yamaha) they do not have a Spanish-heel construction. It doesn't seem to have any diminishing effect on tone based on my experience.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks GV -

The seller doesn't know the year, but said there is a serial number on the label, if that could help fix the year. If it has a truss rod I wouldn't touch it - I cannot conceive of a truss rod inside a classical guitar - the very thought gives me shudders. But if this is an older model, then maybe as you say it wont' have one. Actually, now as I'm writing this I just realized that maybe I can simply ask him if it has a truss rod - he should certainly know that. Thanks again. I'll probably end up just getting the Cordoba.
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:24 pm

If I remember correctly, the first two digits of the serial numbers on the C132S denote the year. I don't know what year they started adding truss rods.

Haven't understood what the detrimental effect of a lightweight truss rod might be beyond its added weight (which is irrelevant to me since I use a guitar support) but I know that we all have our preferences.

Of course, a flamenco guitar with a truss rod and played in the old neck-up position might be cause for concern. In such a case, the lighter - the better.

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi
The Takamine and Hirade guitars are fairly popular over here. Within our local group there is a 132s which I think sounds nicer than my own Hirade. I wouldn't rule out a truss rod, you'll never be aware of it and it might prevent any instability in the neck. I think they sound nicer with carbon strings. Even if the action is a bit high, it could be adjusted without huge expense. I must say the ones I have seen did not need much adjustment.

Regards Tm
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:31 pm

I had the seller check for a truss rod, and apparently it does not have one. The serial number begins with 9703, so we're speculating that that means March 1997. Did you feel the older ones were as good as the newer ones? In any case, each instrument is individual, so I think I'll go take a look.

I teach flamenco as well, and I'm wondering if anyone has an estimate on having two golpeadores installed. It would have to be by a luthier, if I can find one around here, because i would not bring it to some technician in Guitar Center or something - he would probably put steel strings on it while he was at it. I could do Kling-On, but I'd rather have permanent.

GV - You're a wealth of information - thanks.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:59 pm

I've got the version with a pickup (CP132S) which I bought second hand a good few years ago. In my view it's a good instrument for the price range - it's got a good tone, nice balance between treble and bass and plenty of sustain. It's also set up nicely and feels easy to play. Mine is leaned up against my computer table and I use it for playing over all my arrangements as well as some of my practice sessions. If it's in good condition I think $300 is going to be a bargain for this guitar :!:
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks to all - I am going to try to see it on Sunday.

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:10 pm

Personally, I think the older ones are better because the woods have matured. That's just my opinion and it's based on five samples. Finish-wise and build-wise, new and old ones look identical except for the truss rods.

Golpeadors? Larry Darnell at Kenny Hill's workshop in Ben Lomond quoted me $75 for the job and I'd have to pick it up after two days. You'll probably get a similar quote in the NYC area. I can probably do it myself but time is money too.

I say check it out. $300 is notably below-market if it's in mint condition and there are no defects. It's a STEAL if that model plays as well as the best one I've played.

EDIT: BTW, in the C132S, there's the soundhole label and there's the serial number. I know that these are in the current models. The serial number is located on the neck block (technically the heel). Look upwards inside the soundhole and it should be there in black numbers on a white background.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:28 pm

By googling Takamine serial number I got to a site called Blue Book Publications which explained that 8 digit Takamine serial nos. date the instrument thus: YYMMDDXX. That seems to be confirmed by discussions on the Takamine forum site, but I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that my CP132S has the serial is 94080001 - what day was it made on? Perhaps it was just the first one made in August 1994. It has a truss rod, but this doesn't seem to affect the balance of the instrument and I've never needed to adjust it.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Kostyk

Post by Kostyk » Fri May 25, 2012 3:38 am

Did you ever buy that Takamine? I've owned one (C132S) since 1981 and consider it an excellent instrument, worthy of perfoming with and using in the recording studio. It has aged well, looks great and sounds fantastic every time I restring it. I'm a bassplayer and guitarist (electric) and credit the Tak as the reason I developed good right hand technique for bassplaying. I paid about $400 AU (about 2 weeks wages at the time) for it when I bought it in Melbourne, Australia and would never sell it. I still buy from the guy that sold it to me and have a lifelong friendship with the man, although he should have retired years ago. Music keeps you young, apparently.

Yuri 8)

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Fri May 25, 2012 6:49 am

Hi Yuri.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Derry

Post by Derry » Sat May 26, 2012 1:26 am

I have a 132C and it is a fine instrument to play,, if you look inside with an inspection mirror they have the year of build stamped,,

if you can buy one in fairly decent condition the $300 would be a good price,, I played mine for several years with HT strings and it loved them,, as we age the fingers like the MT strings and it does well with them,,

mine has a truss rod and it has never been touched,, neck just stays true,,

Derry

brian

Post by brian » Sat May 26, 2012 2:14 am

the c132s was my first guitar. cd/in
on permanent loan to a buddy of mine.
never had a problem with it and was
fun to play. I think it was an '82. next time
I see it I'll have a look see.
if at first you don't succeed try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

Dave1947

Post by Dave1947 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:39 am

I've had a ce128...the one with an electric pick up which I never use..for over 20 years. I have a lot of respect for Takamine's. Mine's had a lot of use and it's the guitar I still use when I go to the beach or any other extreme kind of playing condition. The things are nicely built (very much like Yamaha's)with solid wood...spruce/EIR sound nice although not a lot of volume...maybe that's why it has an El. pickup! lol...but really nice little guitar!

Return to “Luthiers”