Takamine C132S

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Leo

Re: Takamine C132S

Post by Leo » Sat May 26, 2012 4:05 am

I had a c132s years ago and it must have been stolen. I had stopped playing for a period of time and when I tried to find it in the closet that I stored it in, it was missing. I still miss that guitar, but I got a good deal on e - b a y on a Alhambra (Iberia) spruce top guitar. They normally go for over 700 in the USA, but I got it for 300 new, because it had a cosmetic defect on the headstock. It does not detract much from its appearance and the guitar sounds great.

Leo

Post by Leo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 am

"I had a c132s years ago and it must have been stolen." Several weeks ago my wife was cleaning out a closet that I did not think of looking inside years ago when I "lost" my guitar. Out comes my C132s in its case and in great condition, except for the strings that needed to be replaced. I think it is the best sounding of my current classical guitars (one of three). I have a luthier model on commission that I should get in about a year, but till then I have my new/old Takamine, bult in February 1985. Very Happy!

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:13 pm

I used to own a Takamine C132S a long time ago, but I traded it in for an electric guitar when I was younger. I now realize that wasn't a very good choice and I wish I still had it! Of course I wasn't into classical guitar back then.

eno

Post by eno » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:27 pm

spanishguitarmusic wrote:I used to own a Takamine C132S a long time ago, but I traded it in for an electric guitar when I was younger. I now realize that wasn't a very good choice and I wish I still had it! Of course I wasn't into classical guitar back then.
You can always buy it for ~$400-500
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.20 1975, No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade A9 1969, custom 1967, A1 1962
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969
Takamine C136S 1976

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:52 pm

eno wrote:
spanishguitarmusic wrote:I used to own a Takamine C132S a long time ago, but I traded it in for an electric guitar when I was younger. I now realize that wasn't a very good choice and I wish I still had it! Of course I wasn't into classical guitar back then.
You can always buy it for ~$400-500
Yes, that would actually be a good idea! Thank you for your comment! :bye:

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:45 am

I have one and, although it has been treated a little rough over time, it is structurally good. I bought it for my beater for $200 on Craigslist due to its condition. It is a lovely sounding and playing instrument. It is a step down from my GVR and Estevez but not a huge one. I am very happy with it. It sounds better than some guitars i'very played for 4 x the price.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:58 pm

You want the earliest year possible made in Japan. Then Korean makes. The closer to the end of Japanese production is closer to the early spec models.

Since you are relatively close to the early Guild production factories, look at some Guild models. I mean you want a robust travel instrument, something you can bang around but also enjoy.

If the Takamine is a Japanese built then go for it, if it's Korean, maybe consider it. Guild had some rosewood, and the more rare and less aesthetically interseting Pear wood...which I think is pretty cool. The MK 1 model all mahogany, is pretty vanilla but it sure is fun to play...no binding, just mahogany.

They also have some Spruce and Rosewood models. Either of them are fun American made vintage guitars...

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 am

In the past months I was put in a situation where I had to regretfully part ways with my beloved Jim Frieson guitar that I worked so hard to find. I ended up having to settle for a budget instrument and ended up finding a 1970's Takamine C132S that I bought directly from Tavi Jinariu. If you search "1977 Takamine C132 - Canco del Lladre" or "1977 Takamine C132 - El Testament D'Amelia" on YouTube you can see the exact guitar that I now have.

It is not in the league of the Frieson, but I'd honestly choose it over several high end instruments that I've had a chance to play. I suspect these old models probably out perform the ones being made today. What stands out about my guitar is that it has a slower, "blooming" response and beautiful traditional tone that makes the guitar very musical. Some pleasant surprises was that the intonation is spot on even with no saddle compensation, highly playable despite being 660 scale (and I have small hands), and balance is excellent with trebles that don't lose steam even past the 12th fret. Not sure how much the 40 years of aging plays a role in its tone.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Leo

Post by Leo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:08 pm

My Takamine C132s was built in 1985, made in Japan, and is 650 scale. It has a wonderful balanced tone across all the strings, and is very rich and powerfull. Happy I found it again.

Return to “Luthiers”