Audio sample files

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Audio sample files

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:27 pm

The forum rules on audio sample files have recently been amended and they are now allowed under certain conditions. A new item, Section IVa, has been added to the rules. It reads as follows:
Members may post short audio files to demonstrate the sound of, or compare the sound between, different guitars, microphones, recording equipment, etc.
These files must be in WAV format at a sample rate of 44,100Hz, no bigger than 2.5 MB in size, and no more than 15 seconds in length. They are authorized in the "Recording Classical Guitar" forum and in the top level of the "Luthiers, Classical Guitar Makers" forum.

Where an audio sample is part of a piece of music, the message must contain the following details: the name of the composer, the title and, if the piece is copyrighted, the name of the publisher.

If the sample is taken from a CD, it is also compulsory to include the names of the performer(s) and the publisher of the CD.

Messages not fulfilling this legal requirement will be removed.
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Anthony Campanella

Re: Audio sample files

Post by Anthony Campanella » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Thats wonderful - but I'd like to confirm that we can post up to 15 seconds of copyrighted music?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Yes, as long as you comply with the conditions.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

RolandC01

Post by RolandC01 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi Geoff,
I have a query about this. I am not a good player at all. With my previous guitar build, I asked my teacher do make a recording using my guitar. However, when I posted this, it was removed because I did not play it? Would my recording fall into the above category in future?
Many thanks,R

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi Roland,

I expect that last time you would have posted it in one of the mp3 forums which are specifically for recordings of members' own playing. You can now post an audio sample in the Luthiers forum, and it doesn't matter who is playing, as long as you follow the rules for WAV files.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

sting6ph

Post by sting6ph » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:49 am

The reply is a bit late....guess I was too focused on other forums. Thanks for the update. Now I can search for more and learn more :)

droll

Post by droll » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Hello,

I feel kind of silly to have to ask, but I'm still finding my way around the forums - is there a way to search and bring up a list of guitar sample audio files? I've tried doing various searches and came up dry. I also looked in the forums mentioned above and couldn't locate anything.

doug

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:09 pm

Sorry, Doug, I can't think of any way of doing that.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

djajasoekarta

Post by djajasoekarta » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:36 am

Once, I heard a comment from German Acoustic Engineer (I forgot his name, his video is on youtube) said that

'Recording a Guitar doesn't help anything. An Engineer from Sennheiser once came for me & brought an experimental microphone with very, very thin membrane that you could destroy it just by your clap. What we got is, it only have 1/10 sensitivity compared to Human Ear'

Is his statement 100% correct ? Actually, I don't believe that such a hard working :) (in any field) doesn't give anything although technically 'that' instrument is lack of ability than ours
'The woolen cloth of his suit made me question the value of Chinese silks. His fountain pen made me ashamed of my writing brushes and Chinese writing paper' - Puyi

'I don't write music to be difficult, only to be more like itself' - Harrison Birtwistle

duende_viet

Post by duende_viet » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Thank you

naveenrogers

Post by naveenrogers » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:49 pm

how does one upload audio files here? THanks.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi Naveen, it's the same way as you add pictures. You can find instructions here.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue May 01, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi,

I also wonder where I can upload the recordings of the instruments I build, and I did not understand what's the point about all these limitations. Is MP3 not good for this purpose? I understand how to upload, but why only 15 seconds? The player is my friend and the piece of music is from Bach and Castel Nuovo Tedesco there is no copyright on neither as far as I know.

let me know

Christian

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue May 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi Christian,

The main purpose of audio recordings on this forum is the performance of the music itself, rather than to illustrate the quality of an instrument, and MP3 is usually sufficient for that. The idea of audio sample files was introduced as a concession to allow exact comparisons between instruments. MP3 is a "lossy" format, as it is compressed and does not give a completely true representation of the sound, so the WAV format is specified for such comparisons. The limitation on the length of the recording keeps the filesize down (important in uncompressed formats) and avoids copyright problems. While Bach is out of copyright, Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco died in 1963 and so his works will be protected until 2034 (70 full years after the end of the year in which he died).

If your friend joins the forum, he or she can post an MP3 of the Bach recording in Our recordings of J. S. Bach in accordance with the rules here (note that members can only post their own recordings in those sections). Otherwise if your friend attaches it to a video or slideshow and posts it on Youtube, you could draw attention to it in Our favourite websites. Other than that, you can find the rules on which attachments are allowed here.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue May 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks Geoff, I'll check it out.

christian

Return to “Luthiers”