yukinobu chai guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
joegun

yukinobu chai guitar

Post by joegun » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:46 pm

I just picked up an old 1977 Yukinobu Chai no. 8 from Tokyo, Japan. This classical is well beaten up, but no cracks. Looks like brazilian rosewood back and sides and a spruce top all solid woods. I googled the luthier's name but didn't get very much info. Does anyone no more about his instruments, value , numbering system, or anything else about his instruments... thanks .

Whooper

Re: yukinobu chai guitar

Post by Whooper » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:19 am

Hello joegun san,

None has responded to you so I should do. Chai guitars are very famous and popular as a choice in the mid to high range in Japan, however, not so export oriented as far as I know of. Nearly 40 years ago, I bought one by Yukinobu Chai. Spruce top, Brasilian Rosewood body and back. 640 mm. It was a very beautiful guitar. I played it for two years, sold, and bought a Kohno. Probably your "no 8" means a then tag price of Yen 80,000. Below are for your reference

They have no Enlgish pages.

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... 2Fchai.htm

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... Fchai.html

Yukihide is his younger brother.

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... %3Fno%3D45

Love and play your Chai :D
Whooper

joegun

Post by joegun » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:48 am

I want to thank you for your help. I was wondering if anyone had even heard of Mr. Chai. This guitar was expertly made by a master craftsman, I will enjoy playing it for years to come. Thank you again for responding back you have been a big help.....Joe

jorpheus

Post by jorpheus » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:20 am

Hello,

Last month, I took the risk of buying a Yukinobu Chai guitar (Tokyo, 1981, No. 20) on the internet. It was not very expensive and I was curious to find out.

It has cedar top, Indian rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard, Gotoh tuners (like Kohno) and standard dimensions (650 mm, 52 mm), slighly domed top and back. It has 7 very thin braces, and an asymmetric bracing pattern.

It has been played and the top has some scratches, but the neck is straight and the fingerboard and frets are allright. I am surprised about the well-balanced sound and the very good intonation, it is extremely correct up to the highest notes.

So, it is obviously hand-made, excellent work, and can compete with other master guitars. Most of all, I like the sound.

It is really different from the Kohno and Nobe guitars that I have.

Inside is a small label "Niibori Guitars", I do not understand what this means, although there is a dedicated WWW site in Japan.

Best wishes to all,

jorpheus

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:43 am

Yes, Yukinobu chai guitars are unknown outside Japan,
I bought his guitar No. 8 made in 1970s. however, its scale length 545mm with nut size 51mm. I think it is a small alto guitar for Niborri Guitar orchestra

Daniel Waters

Post by Daniel Waters » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:55 am

I realize this is an old thread, but interesting nonetheless. Recently I bought (on e - b a y of course) a Yukinobu Chai guitar made in 1982, requiring some minor repairs. It is a Niibori alto No. NA-10.

The worksmanship on this guitar is superb, and it has probably improved with time. The guitar has a wonderful, bright voice, and 30+ years of aging have made it almost weightless. Since I'm unlikely to join any guitar ensembles, I'm trying to figure out what types of music work best, played as a solo instrument. So far, Bach's lute suites have been the closest fit.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 am

Daniel Waters wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:55 am
I realize this is an old thread, but interesting nonetheless. Recently I bought (on e - b a y of course) a Yukinobu Chai guitar made in 1982, requiring some minor repairs. It is a Niibori alto No. NA-10.

The worksmanship on this guitar is superb, and it has probably improved with time. The guitar has a wonderful, bright voice, and 30+ years of aging have made it almost weightless. Since I'm unlikely to join any guitar ensembles, I'm trying to figure out what types of music work best, played as a solo instrument. So far, Bach's lute suites have been the closest fit.
Great! Please share your thoughts and pictures over at the Japanese thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=111723

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1997 - Dragan Musulin
2004 - Alain Raifort Grand Concert
2006 - Casimiro Lozano XXV Aniversario

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Return to “Luthiers”