Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Grooveman JS
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:19 am

Hello to 1 & ALL here .........my a/c just got reinstated after a long hiatus....always a fan of Kohno & Sakurai guitars......

City and country: Georgia Atlanta USA, Singapore (2 countries)
Model: Sakurai MA-RF
Date of production: 2009
Date of aquisition: 2010
Price of aquisition: USD$7500 (approximate)
Top: Spruce
Back: South American Rosewood
Side: Ditto
Neck: Mahagony, Cedar
Fingerboard: Ebony
Strings: EJ46
Remarks: Good Projection, Balanced, Clarity of Voicings, Resonant with lots of natural harmonics over the registers & Good sustain.....
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Grooveman JS
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:36 am

Hello Whooper San / Other member fans of kohno & Sakurai guitar fan club

I'm thinking of acquiring another guitar.....I'd be very interested if you all can point me to some shops; online sites or even members here who are looking to offer their instrument for sale. I'm specifically only looking at Master Masaru Kohno guitars Model 50 & above that are mint or very good condition (preferably not too old 1980s onwards); 650 scale/51-52nut. It'll be really interesting if i can find 1 that's Cedar top.
:merci:
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby rinneby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Grooveman JS wrote:Hello Whooper San / Other member fans of kohno & Sakurai guitar fan club

I'm thinking of acquiring another guitar.....I'd be very interested if you all can point me to some shops; online sites or even members here who are looking to offer their instrument for sale. I'm specifically only looking at Master Masaru Kohno guitars Model 50 & above that are mint or very good condition (preferably not too old 1980s onwards); 650 scale/51-52nut. It'll be really interesting if i can find 1 that's Cedar top.
:merci:


There is a Japanese site called j-guitar that you might find interesting. Good luck.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1972 - Yamaha GC-3D
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
1978 - Masaru Matano Clase 600

You are the instrument, not the guitar

Grooveman JS
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Thanks rinneby; will check the site out soon :merci:
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Grooveman JS
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:31 am

Hi rinneby, i spent some time at the j-guitar site & my.....I'd say that Japan is definitely Asia's guitar mecca. The range & selection available is just simply mind blowing. While I didn't find what I'm specifically looking for; they only had a Kohno Model 30 listed there that's if I'm not wrong 660 scale & 53mm nut. But the whole experience was worth it as I'm Iooking to for other types of guitars as well. Just to report my findings here.....
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Grooveman JS
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:34 am

:bravo: For those who might be interested; just want to alert you all.....there's a seller from the US that's putting out some really nice Kohno & Sakurai guitars on e - b a y; just search kohno classical guitar & you'll see his range of guitars there.......
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Grooveman JS
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:52 am

While checking through the j-guitar site; i was surprise to discover that Maestro Masaki Sakurai has cut-away versions of his Concert model with a 48mm nut. Check this link out

http://sp.j-guitar.com/uploads/1905/r/p ... cbc-42.jpg
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby rinneby » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:10 am

Seems like a very good deal now over at craigslist: 1976 Masaru Kohno #15 classical guitar, Healdsburg / Windsor. (I have nothing to do with the sale)

Good luck!

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1972 - Yamaha GC-3D
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
1978 - Masaru Matano Clase 600

You are the instrument, not the guitar

Grooveman JS
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up ......I noticed that there are quite a lot of these old kohno guitars around......
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Grooveman JS
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:06 am

I noticed a change in Maestro Masaki Sakurai's recommendation for strings to be used on Kohno/Saurai guitars ....... I think the Augustine strings remain the same but the D'Addario strings are no longer there. Its now Savarez Creation Cantiga Cristal (normal or high tension) or the Savarez Cantiga Cristal

After trying the Savarez normal tension on my MA-RF, i agree that they're warmer sounding, & more flexible (both Bass & Treble string sets); as a result more tonal color variations & articulations are possible. But i find it too flexible & tension match are not ideal for my feel ......I keep missing fretted notes (kind of vague & light feel to the playing action) & i find that tonal balance between Bass/Treble is not really well matched . I took it off & went back to the D'Addario.....this time with a twist to the previous recommendation

The old recommendation is to pair EXP45 basses with T2 Titanium trebles but i really don't like the EXP basses; they feel taut under the thumb but the tone is just bright/definitive & that's about all you can say. With the old recommendation; the trebles always come out stronger.

This time round i just bought the Dynacore full set (its Dynacore Basses paired with Titanium trebles) & its a perfect match on all 3 counts (gauging, tension & tonal balance between Bass/Treble strings). The Dynacore basses are more flexible, wonderful sounding....deep, rich, warm/ responsive. :bravo:
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby rinneby » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:29 am

Grooveman JS wrote:I noticed a change in Maestro Masaki Sakurai's recommendation for strings to be used on Kohno/Saurai guitars ....... I think the Augustine strings remain the same but the D'Addario strings are no longer there. Its now Savarez Creation Cantiga Cristal (normal or high tension) or the Savarez Cantiga Cristal

After trying the Savarez normal tension on my MA-RF, i agree that they're warmer sounding, & more flexible (both Bass & Treble string sets); as a result more tonal color variations & articulations are possible. But i find it too flexible & tension match are not ideal for my feel ......I keep missing fretted notes (kind of vague & light feel to the playing action) & i find that tonal balance between Bass/Treble is not really well matched . I took it off & went back to the D'Addario.....this time with a twist to the previous recommendation

The old recommendation is to pair EXP45 basses with T2 Titanium trebles but i really don't like the EXP basses; they feel taut under the thumb but the tone is just bright/definitive & that's about all you can say. With the old recommendation; the trebles always come out stronger.

This time round i just bought the Dynacore full set (its Dynacore Basses paired with Titanium trebles) & its a perfect match on all 3 counts (gauging, tension & tonal balance between Bass/Treble strings). The Dynacore basses are more flexible, wonderful sounding....deep, rich, warm/ responsive. :bravo:


That's nice ot hear. Since I play older Kohnos I like lower tension strings (Ej43) as they make the woods move and sing more. Lately I've been a huge fan of lower tension for newer guitars as well... Could be worth a try ? :)

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1972 - Yamaha GC-3D
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
1978 - Masaru Matano Clase 600

You are the instrument, not the guitar

Grooveman JS
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:25 am

Ya Buddy ....its Dynacore Pow Wow! :!: :bravo: I'm sticking with D'Addario Dynacore for my Kohno/Sakurai guitar......I might just write Maestro Sakurai about this as well as a suggestion to keep the D'addario recommendation. :idea: :D
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

APK
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby APK » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi,

May I ask for recommendations for a guitar case for the Sakurai-Kohno Professional J? I've looked at the Hiscox line of cases – the Pro II and Artist – but the dimensions are always slightly off. I'd be interested to know what other S-K owners have chosen and what they would recommend.

Thanks,
A

Icarus11
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:13 am
Location: Bordeaux, France

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Icarus11 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:55 pm

The Dogal Diamante soft tension are perfect for my Kohno 1965, and believe me, i try a lot of sets !

Grooveman JS
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:14 am

APK wrote:Hi,

May I ask for recommendations for a guitar case for the Sakurai-Kohno Professional J? I've looked at the Hiscox line of cases – the Pro II and Artist – but the dimensions are always slightly off. I'd be interested to know what other S-K owners have chosen and what they would recommend.

Thanks,
A


Hi APK, I'd advise you to contact Maestro Sakurai of the Kohno shop to buy a case directly from him. When i bought my Maestro RF, it came with a different case other than the one specified on the website. I want to be careful as its RF & needs an arch top type case to accommodate the raised fingerboard on the instrument. I contacted Mr Sakurai & he ordered a case to be made, cost me USD$500 but its all worth it ....its a perfect fit :bravo:
My case is special ordered & is a 1 off thing so its more expensive but I'm sure the case for the Pro J cost much less as he'd probably have them in stock for the other models as well. They share common dimensions.
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT


Return to “Luthiers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], da23will, Dadapano, J. Bertholdo, Leo, MartenFalk, rinneby, Ryeman, senunkan and 26 guests