Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Grooveman JS

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by Grooveman JS » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:20 am

Icarus11 wrote:The Dogal Diamante soft tension are perfect for my Kohno 1965, and believe me, i try a lot of sets !
I should have a look at the tension & gauging ....
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Leo Apray

Post by Leo Apray » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:19 am

APK wrote:Hi,

May I ask for recommendations for a guitar case for the Sakurai-Kohno Professional J? I've looked at the Hiscox line of cases – the Pro II and Artist – but the dimensions are always slightly off. I'd be interested to know what other S-K owners have chosen and what they would recommend.

Thanks,
A
Hi APK,

I used to have a Kohno 30, and Hiscox Pro II GCL M fits tighly for it.

Hiscox case has small soft paddings inside to keep the guitar tighly. These give you some tolerances, so that a slighly bigger guitar body can still fit into it.

Leo

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:56 am

Leo Apray wrote:
APK wrote:Hi,

May I ask for recommendations for a guitar case for the Sakurai-Kohno Professional J? I've looked at the Hiscox line of cases – the Pro II and Artist – but the dimensions are always slightly off. I'd be interested to know what other S-K owners have chosen and what they would recommend.

Thanks,
A
Hi APK,

I used to have a Kohno 30, and Hiscox Pro II GCL M fits tighly for it.

Hiscox case has small soft paddings inside to keep the guitar tighly. These give you some tolerances, so that a slighly bigger guitar body can still fit into it.

Leo
Same here. Hiscox II is a nice fit for my No.30. Can't speak for Sakurai-Kohno Professional J though, should be the same.

/Jon
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1990 - Antonio Raya Pardo 1A
2004 - Alain Raifort Grand Concert
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt Torres

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

APK

Post by APK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Thank you for your feedback Grooveman, rinneby, and Leo. I thought of writing to Maestro Sakurai – but only after I'd posted my inquiry. But if any of the three of you – or others on the forum – had the choice, would you prefer the Sakurai case or the Hiscox?

A

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:27 am

APK wrote:Thank you for your feedback Grooveman, rinneby, and Leo. I thought of writing to Maestro Sakurai – but only after I'd posted my inquiry. But if any of the three of you – or others on the forum – had the choice, would you prefer the Sakurai case or the Hiscox?

A
How much is the price for each case? Are you gonna use the case for travel? Or storage only? In any "case" both of them will do.

/Jon

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:39 pm

APK wrote:Thank you for your feedback Grooveman, rinneby, and Leo. I thought of writing to Maestro Sakurai – but only after I'd posted my inquiry. But if any of the three of you – or others on the forum – had the choice, would you prefer the Sakurai case or the Hiscox?

A
Hello APK......like rinneby said either will be fine in any case but dimensions wise..... i think the cases out of the Kohno shop might be more fitting. I had to for my "case"; as the dimensions for my instrument are very specific.
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF

Iain

Post by Iain » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Sakurai Maestro RF?
I would be interested in the radiused fretboard, and the shape of the neck
I recently watched the documentary of Sakurai and was certainly impressed with the craftsmanship and care that goes into his instruments.
Thanks.

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 am

Iain wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the Sakurai Maestro RF?
I recently watched the documentary of Sakurai and was certainly impressed with the craftsmanship and care that goes into his instruments.
Thanks.
Hello I'll describe mine ..... i played 3 or 4 before deciding on this particular 1. I'm sure you're aware; models of the same make sound different & have different characteristics as well (much like a DNA for each instrument :lol: )

Its a pretty loud guitar to begin with; tone wise - mine has a complex series of overtones; has that "warm glowing sound" across the registers. Resonant & have natural harmonics across the registers. Other more standard characteristics amongst Kohno/Sakurai guitars are the clean, balanced sound. Sound characteristics has hints of Fleta, Contreras in it. Nice clarity with warmth & power overall. Nice slim neck profile makes for ease of playability & because of the RF, upper registers beyond 12th fret are better accessible. I use D'Addario Dynacore Normal Tension on this guitar, i think its most ideal.

Get your hands on a few....go visit with Maestro Sakurai or try the range there in his shop or the other shops in Japan. Its a guitar mecca there.
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF

Iain

Post by Iain » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:32 am

Grooveman JS wrote:
Thanks.
Hello I'll describe mine ..... i played 3 or 4 before deciding on this particular 1. I'm sure you're aware; models of the same make sound different & have different characteristics as well (much like a DNA for each instrument :lol: )

Its a pretty loud guitar to begin with; tone wise - mine has a complex series of overtones; has that "warm glowing sound" across the registers. Resonant & have natural harmonics across the registers. Other more standard characteristics amongst Kohno/Sakurai guitars are the clean, balanced sound. Sound characteristics has hints of Fleta, Contreras in it. Nice clarity with warmth & power overall. Nice slim neck profile makes for ease of playability & because of the RF, upper registers beyond 12th fret are better accessible. I use D'Addario Dynacore Normal Tension on this guitar, i think its most ideal.

Get your hands on a few....go visit with Maestro Sakurai or try the range there in his shop or the other shops in Japan. It's a guitar mecca there.
Hi, thanks for the info on the Sakurai guitar.
As regards trying them out, I live in Scotland and don't think there are any dealers here, (just my luck) I was thinking of buying one after I sell my own guitar and would appreciate it if you could give me some advice on the best place to acquire one.
The problem of buying from abroad is the duty tax which as you know adds to the cost.
All the best Iain.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:02 am

Iain wrote:
Grooveman JS wrote:
Thanks.

Get your hands on a few....go visit with Maestro Sakurai or try the range there in his shop or the other shops in Japan. It's a guitar mecca there.
As regards trying them out, I live in Scotland and don't think there are any dealers here, (just my luck) I was thinking of buying one after I sell my own guitar and would appreciate it if you could give me some advice on the best place to acquire one.
The problem of buying from abroad is the duty tax which as you know adds to the cost.
All the best Iain.
I think the best is to order directly from Sakurai, then you will get all the right papers and certificates too. Much needed if you for any reason decide to sell the guitar in the future. Another option is to check out j-guitar. Good luck.

/Jon

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:54 am

rinneby wrote:
Iain wrote:
Grooveman JS wrote:

All the best Iain.
I think the best is to order directly from Sakurai, then you will get all the right papers and certificates too. Much needed if you for any reason decide to sell the guitar in the future. Another option is to check out j-guitar. Good luck.

/Jon
I agree .....its best to get the instrument directly from Maestro Sakurai; cut out the middle man cost & you'll get a good & fair price for the instrument. If you're up to it, i say go visit his shop in Tokyo; talk to him & let him take you through his instruments....i can't confirm but i think he has some in stock. At the same time; go try out a boatload of other great guitars.....Tokyo or for that matter; Japan is the guitar(all kinds of guitars) mecca for Asia. Last but not least; tour Japan of course....best of luck to your purchase. :bravo:
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:01 am

I saw something interesting; never seen anything like that ......

A Masaru Kohno Flamenco guitar
1962, EXF, cypress back and sides, set up with geared Pegheads brand tuners for improved performance, 650mm scale, 50mm nut width
This is the link to the pics: http://guitars.com/inventory/av1975-196 ... o-flamenco

Just want to say that this is not an ad & i don't work for Gruhn Guitars.....just merely putting up a guitar of interest; i didn't know Master Kohno makes Flamencos too.... 8) 8)
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:47 am

Grooveman JS wrote:I saw something interesting; never seen anything like that ......

A Masaru Kohno Flamenco guitar
1962, EXF, cypress back and sides, set up with geared Pegheads brand tuners for improved performance, 650mm scale, 50mm nut width
This is the link to the pics: http://guitars.com/inventory/av1975-196 ... o-flamenco

Just want to say that this is not an ad & i don't work for Gruhn Guitars.....just merely putting up a guitar of interest; i didn't know Master Kohno makes Flamencos too.... 8) 8)
I've seen this one before, I wonder what it sounds like :) Must have been a special order.

/Jon

Iain

Post by Iain » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks for the information on buying the Sakurai Maestro guys.

All I have to do now is talk the wife into a trip to japan.

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:10 am

Iain wrote:Thanks for the information on buying the Sakurai Maestro guys.

All I have to do now is talk the wife into a trip to japan.
All righty..... :bravo: wish you luck; you're gonna need it :lol: :lol:

I'm researching into different luthiers, guitars for my next purchase & Tokyo or Kyoto, Japan will definitely be one of my stops. Best of luck with your purchase.
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF

Return to “Luthiers”