Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by rinneby » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:22 am

Dear friends. I'm about to buy a Masaki Sakurai Concert-J form 1999. This is not Brazilian Rosewood right? I need to be sure, even though it ships within EU.

All the best. Thanks.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1980 - Hirade Master Arte 8
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:09 am

rinneby wrote:Dear friends. I'm about to buy a Masaki Sakurai Concert-J form 1999. This is not Brazilian Rosewood right? I need to be sure, even though it ships within EU.

All the best. Thanks.

/Jon
It probably is. Can you provide any more details, description, photos etc?

Peter

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:20 am

petermc61 wrote:
rinneby wrote:Dear friends. I'm about to buy a Masaki Sakurai Concert-J form 1999. This is not Brazilian Rosewood right? I need to be sure, even though it ships within EU.

All the best. Thanks.

/Jon

Peter
To my understanding Sakurai stoped using Brazilian in the 90s and the woods used was "South American Rosewood" - Cocobolo/Mexican whatever.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:35 am

rinneby wrote:
petermc61 wrote:

All the best. Thanks.

/Jon

Peter
To my understanding Sakurai stoped using Brazilian in the 90s and the woods used was "South American Rosewood" - Cocobolo/Mexican whatever.

/Jon
Jon

The real question is whether Sakurai stopped using Brazilian rosewood or just stopped referring to it by that name, using instead the more generic term 'South American rosewood'. I have never heard of Sakurai using cocobolo. He told me he has used Madagascan rosewood in more recent years.

The picture looks suspiciously like Brazilian to me. Hopefully some luthiers or wood experts might chip in with a comment.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:41 am

petermc61 wrote:The picture looks suspiciously like Brazilian to me. Hopefully some luthiers or wood experts might chip in with a comment.
I have e-mailed Sakurai, heard hes not the fastest to respond though ;) Hoping for it to be "Mexican" or maybe even "Madagascar" rosewood then.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:20 pm

rinneby wrote:
petermc61 wrote:

All the best. Thanks.

/Jon

Peter

/Jon[/quote

Congrats Jon......Good Luck with the deal.....
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Grooveman JS wrote:Congrats Jon......Good Luck with the deal.....
Thanks, it depends... I don't want it to be Brazilian... :(

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Jon

I understand how you feel; you could try contacting Maestro Sakurai on the phone for a faster response since its that urgent; I called him using this number TEL:+81-3-3973-0927 when i ordered my instrument case. I'm sure you'll be able to get him there; that's if he's not travelling & is in the shop in Tokyo. Don't know what time zone you're on but Its 10.33pm Tokyo time now, try calling at about 11 hours from now.....good luck!
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Question: My newly acquired Sakurai Concert-J measures 12,5-13mm string height off the top, at least 3 mm saddle poking out. This seems to be a little on the high side, or is this an intended Sakurai construction? Action is a little lower than 4mm at 12th fret. The guitar sounds and plays great :)

UPDATE: I checked my Kohno No.30 and it's the same so I guess they are constructed this way. The No.5 from 1965 however, with a more traditional build, is 10mm.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:08 am

Hi Jon glad all went well with the deal & you're enjoying your guitar :bravo:

The older Kohnos are definitely different; as you say .....more traditional....

On a slightly different note, I've used the Masaki Sakurai Maestro RF as my main CG for practice & performances; its an excellent guitar in every sense. I'm thinking of adding another guitar in the Kohno stable to my lot....this time I'd like an instrument from Master Kohno's line. I've been trying out a few guitars (Maestro/Pro J & an older Concert R); Some of these guitars are made by Maestro Sakurai under the Sakurai Kohno label & some are by Masaru Kohno himself....i can't confirm the string height of both series of guitars as per what you described but as a general comparison.... although both the M.Sakurai & the M.Kohno guitars have great ease of playability, I do feel the Kohno line plays slightly easier than the Sakurai guitars.
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:11 am

By the way Jon, can't stop admiring what looks like a very OLD stock of NEW Jacaranda (punt intended :lol: :lol: )......beautiful set of woods :bravo:
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:21 am

Grooveman JS wrote:...although both the M.Sakurai & the M.Kohno guitars have great ease of playability, I do feel the Kohno line plays slightly easier than the Sakurai guitars.
That might actually be true, but it's a matter of personal taste of course. My 1965 for example is the most easy playing (and best sounding) guitar I have ever tried. The Sakurai feels "harder" in comparison so to speak, still very nice though. The No.30 is easy to play, easy to press down each string, but the 660 scale is more demanding in the long run. I think its a matter of frets too, my Sakurai has pretty thin frets.
Grooveman JS wrote:By the way Jon, can't stop admiring what looks like a very OLD stock of NEW Jacaranda (punt intended :lol: :lol: )......beautiful set of woods :bravo:
Indeed. This "new" Jacaranda filled my room with a sweet rose/cigarr like smell when I first opened up the case. I wonder what this means... ;)

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:41 am

rinneby wrote:
Grooveman JS wrote:...although both the M.Sakurai & the M.Kohno guitars have great ease of playability, I do feel the Kohno line plays slightly easier than the Sakurai guitars.
That might actually be true, but it's a matter of personal taste of course. My 1965 for example is the most easy playing (and best sounding) guitar I have ever tried. The Sakurai feels "harder" in comparison so to speak, still very nice though. The No.30 is easy to play, easy to press down each string, but the 660 scale is more demanding in the long run. I think its a matter of frets too, my Sakurai has pretty thin frets.

/Jon
Ahhhh........so you do feel the same about my comparison; it confirms my observation....my "feeling"; :wink: :wink: ......please educate me here; when you say "thin" frets...is it true that thicker fret wires gives the guitar an easier feel or ease of playability :?: :?:
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:47 am

Hey guys,
just unexpectedly acquired a 1976 M.Sakurai No.5 in very affordable price recently due to plenty of user marks all over and some minor finishing cracks at front. Playability is still very good. It look like Cedar but according to Maestro M.Sakurai it is actually spruce top made by them. Additionally, the back is solid.

Currently put on Augustine red but would like to have something more warm.

Do you guys think it is safe to put on strings like what Sakurai Kohno website suggested Augustine blue basses/regal treble? I think the recommendation should be for modern build guitar. On over 40yrs 660 guitar may be over kill. What to you guys think? :merci:
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:49 am

keithwwk wrote:Hey guys,
just unexpectedly acquired a 1976 M.Sakurai No.5 in very affordable price recently due to plenty of user marks all over and some minor finishing cracks at front. Playability is still very good. It look like Cedar but according to Maestro M.Sakurai it is actually spruce top made by them. Additionally, the back is solid.

Currently put on Augustine red but would like to have something more warm.

Do you guys think it is safe to put on strings like what Sakurai Kohno website suggested Augustine blue basses/regal treble? I think the recommendation should be for modern build guitar. On over 40yrs 660 guitar may be over kill. What to you guys think? :merci:
Congratulations, sounds like a good buy! I like low tension strings on my "newer" Sakurai and my older Kohno. D'Addario EJ43 or equal might fit the bill? Otherwise Savarez Cantiga Normal Tension 510MR could be worth a try?

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5

Return to “Luthiers”