Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
User avatar
keithwwk
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:12 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby keithwwk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Hey Jon, thks.. I missed the 510CR and MR listed there. I will try them and also the EJ43 after this Augustine red get rusty.

I am still exploring this guitar...

Seem mine is the lowest end Sakurai in this thread here.. :lol:

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby rinneby » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:55 pm

keithwwk wrote:Hey Jon, thks.. I missed the 510CR and MR listed there. I will try them and also the EJ43 after this Augustine red get rusty.

I am still exploring this guitar...

Seem mine is the lowest end Sakurai in this thread here.. :lol:

Don't get hung up by the numbers, they really doesn't tell much regarding the sound or playability of the guitar. It's mostly cosmetic. My Kono No.5 from 1965 for example, is one of the best sounding guitar I've heard to date.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Aria AG-50
1984 - José Giménez No.204

You are the instrument, not the guitar

bullpuppy
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby bullpuppy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:24 am

Kohno made a lot of soundboard's that ended up as being installed on other branded guitars. These usually have kohno stamp on the label. Are there cases where he didn't stamp his soundboards?

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby rinneby » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:09 am

bullpuppy wrote:Kohno made a lot of soundboard's that ended up as being installed on other branded guitars. These usually have kohno stamp on the label. Are there cases where he didn't stamp his soundboards?

Yes, there is. Tama, Juan Orozco, Aranjuez, Takamine, Aria and Yamato to name a few. Any specific guitar you are thinking of?

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Aria AG-50
1984 - José Giménez No.204

You are the instrument, not the guitar

User avatar
keithwwk
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:12 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby keithwwk » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:07 am

The color of mine is too cedar than spruce. I couldn't resist tried flashlight test on my No.5 and no light passes through the top, so cedar it is. I double confirm my test is work by flashlighted my cg151s spruce and it light up like a lantern. Anyway I bought the 5 as cedar in mind. :D

Grooveman JS
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:16 am

rinneby wrote:
keithwwk wrote:Hey Jon, thks.. I missed the 510CR and MR listed there. I will try them and also the EJ43 after this Augustine red get rusty.

I am still exploring this guitar...

Seem mine is the lowest end Sakurai in this thread here.. :lol:

Don't get hung up by the numbers, they really doesn't tell much regarding the sound or playability of the guitar. It's mostly cosmetic. My Kono No.5 from 1965 for example, is one of the best sounding guitar I've heard to date.

/Jon


+1 This dealer on www.vintagekohnoguitars.com was quoted as saying .....when Julian Bream was introduced to Kohno guitars; he played a few of the models & picked out a lesser model. He continued to use that guitar in concert performances for that time.
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

bullpuppy
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby bullpuppy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:25 pm

I have a 1976 aranjuez no 6 which sounds better than my kohno number 10. The no. 6 has a kohno stamped soundboard with a ryoji body. I just bought a 1978 aranjuez no. 5 without a kohno stamp and waiting for it to arrive. It may have a kohno stamp, but could have faded. The body was made by takamine. I also have a Yamato no.8 with kohno stamp it it sounds wonderful, very plane without frilles. None of the yamatos have kohno rosettes but i have one 1966 no.30 that im restoring with some bad cracks in the soundboard. Hopefully it will live up to kohonos since it was 30000 yen in 1966. I did see some takemine no.5 with kohno rossetes but none of them are stamped. I love to here about other kohno tops out there.

User avatar
keithwwk
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:12 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby keithwwk » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:01 am

Hi bullpuppy,
The stamp you mentioned is red colour round shape?

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby rinneby » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:39 pm

bullpuppy wrote:I love to here about other kohno tops out there.

Dandan has a nice Aria AG-80 from the 70s that is Sakurai-topped. I can ask him to show some pictures.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Aria AG-50
1984 - José Giménez No.204

You are the instrument, not the guitar

dandan
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: newcastle-under-lyme, staffs, England

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby dandan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:54 pm

To my knowledge, this guitar was designed by Masaki Sakurai at the request of Aria, but actually constructed by one of Aria's own luthiers, possibly Masaru Takeiri. As far as I'm aware the Orozco guitars were entirely constructed by Tama in the same way. I used to have a Tama TC10 and this is a better guitar. The Tama was rather heavily built.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby rinneby » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:50 pm

dandan wrote:To my knowledge, this guitar was designed by Masaki Sakurai at the request of Aria, but actually constructed by one of Aria's own luthiers, possibly Masaru Takeiri.

That "Sakurai" is a very desirable guitar, I can understand you bought it back :). Just like my AG-50 I've never seen another one.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Aria AG-50
1984 - José Giménez No.204

You are the instrument, not the guitar

dandan
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: newcastle-under-lyme, staffs, England

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby dandan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:27 pm

rinneby wrote:
dandan wrote:To my knowledge, this guitar was designed by Masaki Sakurai at the request of Aria, but actually constructed by one of Aria's own luthiers, possibly Masaru Takeiri.

That "Sakurai" is a very desirable guitar, I can understand you bought it back :). Just like my AG-50 I've never seen another one.

/Jon
Its even better than I remember! I see you decided to keep your Sakurai, at least for a while. Sometimes takes a while to get to grips with a new guitar. Best not to rush into selling and then regret it like I did. At least I got it back!
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby rinneby » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:32 pm

dandan wrote:I see you decided to keep your Sakurai, at least for a while

Yes, the guitar grows on me. :guitare:

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Aria AG-50
1984 - José Giménez No.204

You are the instrument, not the guitar

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby rinneby » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:34 pm

double post...
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Aria AG-50
1984 - José Giménez No.204

You are the instrument, not the guitar

Grooveman JS
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Postby Grooveman JS » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:44 am

Good for you Jon, enjoy your instrument
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT


Return to “Luthiers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Billj, CommonCrawl [Bot], KenO, Peter_T, Robert England, SteveL123 and 25 guests