Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Semitone

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by Semitone » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:00 pm

I guess I'm going to have to become a member of the fan club. Just got my new spruce/maple P.C. (2017)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Semitone on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:05 pm

Semitone wrote:I guess I'm going have to become a member of the fan club. Just got my new spruce/maple P.C.
Very nice! Most welcome to the club, you will enjoy your stay for sure :guitare:
/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
1976 - Kazuo Yairi YC-250
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

You are the instrument, not the guitar

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:37 am

Semitone wrote:I guess I'm going have to become a member of the fan club. Just got my new spruce/maple P.C.

Hello & Welcome to the club.......that's a very unique & good looking :bravo: piece
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:40 pm

If I may ask, what exactly is it about Kohno guitars that inspires such a devoted following? I'm genuinely curious.

I've never had a chance to play one, and while I've tried to read as much of this long thread as possible, I haven't yet found anything that answers my question. Would anyone care to elaborate or to point me to a particular post or thread that might fill me in on what I've been missing out on?

THANKS.
-Bob

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:27 am

Hi Hesson11 you should go & try play some of these instruments; they're widely available......hear, feel the instrumentl for yourself; that's probably the best way to judge & satisfy your curiosity

Another website with material with a historical context that's worth reading is at http://www.vintagekohno.com happy reading
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 am

Kohno won first price in 1967 in Paris in a luthier competition of sorts, beating out Friederich. I think Kohno's guitars are probably the lowest price high quality guitars from the 70's and 80's you can find. These instruments competed directly with Ramirez in the market, and were recognized as concert guitars with big voice and a pianistic character. The 1960's models are different, very special in their own way, since they follow a more traditional building pattern. All of Kohno's instruments seem built very well from good materials with few setup problems. He followed the Ramirez path in the 70's by starting to build long-scale guitars (but with different bracing patterns). The 1960s instruments will get you close to a vintage spruce top instrument like a Hauser or Fleta for a fraction of the price.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:58 pm

astro64 wrote:Kohno won first price in 1967 in Paris in a luthier competition of sorts, beating out Friederich. I think Kohno's guitars are probably the lowest price high quality guitars from the 70's and 80's you can find. These instruments competed directly with Ramirez in the market, and were recognized as concert guitars with big voice and a pianistic character. The 1960's models are different, very special in their own way, since they follow a more traditional building pattern. All of Kohno's instruments seem built very well from good materials with few setup problems. He followed the Ramirez path in the 70's by starting to build long-scale guitars (but with different bracing patterns). The 1960s instruments will get you close to a vintage spruce top instrument like a Hauser or Fleta for a fraction of the price.
Being the owner of a 60's Kohno (Kono) myself, i must say your last statement is spot on!

caneti3

Post by caneti3 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:28 am

Hi!
Anyone has played a Kohno Flamenco guitar?
Any suggestion?
I've seen one for sale in this site.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Someday I would like to become a member of the fan club!;)

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:48 pm

My latest purchase:

City and country: Malmö, Sweden
Model: Masaki Sakurai No.10
Date of production: 1979 (the year I was born)
Date of aquisition: 2017
Top: Solid cedar or spruce, not sure
Back/Sides: Solid Indian Rosewood
Scale: 650 mm
Remarks: It's not 660 mm scale and it has the Kohno headstock.

The guitar is in Thailand right now, on it's way to Sweden in a few days. Fingers crossed.

1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:01 pm

That looks pretty nice, jon. Good condition for thirty eight years. Tough one on the top wood.

I'd be leaning towards spruce. I have a No. 7 from 1970 in cedar and rosewood. Not sure whether

it's the number "grade" (price) or whether it was Masaru Kohnos development as a luthier, but mine doesn't

have that double line neck reinforcement like yours and some other slightly younger ones that I've seen.

Though, having said that, I have seen a No. 15 from 1971 with that (presumably ebony) reinforcement.

If your-to-be guitar has lived in Thailand I sincerely hope it will acclimatize without problems in Sweden.

I'm sure you'll let us know when it arrives.
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:05 am

martinardo wrote:That looks pretty nice, jon. Good condition for thirty eight years. Tough one on the top wood.

I'd be leaning towards spruce. I have a No. 7 from 1970 in cedar and rosewood. Not sure whether

it's the number "grade" (price) or whether it was Masaru Kohnos development as a luthier, but mine doesn't

have that double line neck reinforcement like yours and some other slightly younger ones that I've seen.

Though, having said that, I have seen a No. 15 from 1971 with that (presumably ebony) reinforcement.

If your-to-be guitar has lived in Thailand I sincerely hope it will acclimatize without problems in Sweden.

I'm sure you'll let us know when it arrives.
Yes, my guess is spruce too, but the seller stated cedar, doesn't matter to me really. Regarding the double ebony reinforcement on the neck, I think Kohno started to use them in 1971-1972, at least from what I've seen. Also present in the Kohno-inspired Ryoji Matsuoka guitars from 1972-1974.

Is the climate very different in Thailand vs Japan? Is Thailand even more humid? I live in southern Sweden, near the ocean, so its not too dry here anyway.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:26 am

Maybe this will help, don't know if it is 100% accurate.

viewtopic.php?t=63287

Have an old Kohno #12. Always thought it was cedar but tests as spruce.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:28 am

oc chuck wrote:Maybe this will help, don't know if it is 100% accurate.

viewtopic.php?t=63287

Have an old Kohno #12. Always thought it was cedar but tests as spruce.
Thank you, that is a very neat trick! I will do the test once the guitar arrives. No.12 is a very unusual number for a Kohno, do you have any picture of the guitar? Would love to see it.

All the best from Sweden

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Here's my '69 Kohno.

Consensus ( 4 out of 6 luthiers and Konophiles ) believe this
to be spruce and brazilian.

Lightly latticed braced.
Maybe 3 horizontal and vertical low thin braces.
Probably one of his early attempts at lattice bracing.

http://s954.photobucket.com/user/occhaz ... t=3&page=1

All around lovely sound.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:02 am

I verified mine thru light bulb test as Cedar too. Spruce will turn your guitar to a lantern..
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Yamaha G225

Return to “Luthiers”