Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ddray

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by ddray » Sun May 28, 2017 7:18 pm

rinneby wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 2:49 pm
Here are some pictures as promised. Last picture shows the original case + key.

/Jon
That's a lovely guitar. I'm a cedar fan myself, but spruce certainly does take on a beautiful hue as it ages, doesn't it?

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Sun May 28, 2017 10:36 pm

Congratulations, Jon. It looks in remarkably fine condition for its age: a Classic Closet Queen.

One might reasonably infer that the top is Ezo spruce ?
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon May 29, 2017 6:51 am

ddray wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 7:18 pm
rinneby wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 2:49 pm
Here are some pictures as promised. Last picture shows the original case + key.

/Jon
That's a lovely guitar. I'm a cedar fan myself, but spruce certainly does take on a beautiful hue as it ages, doesn't it?
Thank you! And yes :)

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

You are the instrument, not the guitar

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon May 29, 2017 6:57 am

martinardo wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:36 pm
Congratulations, Jon. It looks in remarkably fine condition for its age: a Classic Closet Queen.

One might reasonably infer that the top is Ezo spruce ?
Yes, actually I've never seen a 35 year old in such wonderful condition ;) Regarding the spruce, actually I don't know, it's quite possible. But it could very well ve european spruce too. Yamaha was famous for using EZO in the 70s/80s, Kohno/Sakurai I've not head of.

All the best!

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono

midstream

Post by midstream » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:48 pm

I apologize if I should not be addressing this group, but I am very close to purchasing a Khono 15 and need some advice. My instructor, has a 1976 Khono 15 in very good to excellent shape. It is a 660mm. He wants 2500 for it. Of course it sounds beautiful when he plays it. When I play it I am struck by the depth of the base and clarity of notes. I am concerned I may be making a mistake though getting a 660. My hands "spread" is 9.25 inches. I have not played it for and extended amount of time so I don't know if it may be too long a scale. If it is no problem, I don't mind spending the money, it seems a normal price, but if it doesn't work for me, I am concerned about resale with a 660 scale. Am I over thinking or should I just buy a wonderful guitar? Thanks, and happy father's day!

midstream

Post by midstream » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:49 pm

I apologize if I should not be addressing this group, but I am very close to purchasing a Khono 15 and need some advice. My instructor, has a 1976 Khono 15 in very good to excellent shape. It is a 660mm. He wants 2500 for it. Of course it sounds beautiful when he plays it. When I play it I am struck by the depth of the base and clarity of notes. I am concerned I may be making a mistake though getting a 660. My hands "spread" is 9.25 inches. I have not played it for and extended amount of time so I don't know if it may be too long a scale. If it is no problem, I don't mind spending the money, it seems a normal price, but if it doesn't work for me, I am concerned about resale with a 660 scale. Am I over thinking or should I just buy a wonderful guitar? Thanks, and happy father's day!

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:05 pm

midstream wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:48 pm
2500 dollars seems like a good deal. If he is your instructor, the wise thing to do would be to borrow it for a week or so, to see if the 660 scale works out. The action is good?

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Just what I was going to suggest. Borrow it for a weekend, or a week if he'll let you, and see how you get on with it.
People worry a lot about scale nowadays but some 66o's don't feel any different to 650's and then some do feel really 'stretchy'. It's more down to the shape of the neck if you ask me. Remember though, there are lots around so if you're not sure after trialing this one, you'll find another sooner or later.
On the upside, the price is about what you'd expect so no real worries there.
Let us know how you get on.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Post by James A. Showalter » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Well, I've been working on classical guitar for about 4 months now since when I bought my 1990 Takamine C132S. I've been a fan of Japanese guitars since my youth and when I started into playing the Takamine it didn't take long before I felt I needed to get something with a little more heritage and feel, maybe a stronger voice. One of my addictions is collecting guitars so I didn't need much prodding. So I started down the path of really understanding Japanese Classical guitars and it didn't take long before I was all-in on Kohno guitars. I thought about buying a vintage Kohno and realized that there were a lot of hazards in trying to get one for playing and I was hesitant to invest in something that would need work. Patience is not my virtue. Well I came across a 2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-5 on e - b a y yesterday with one hour to closing time. Spur of the moment, no bidders, price seemed in the range of what I thought was going-rate and it was pristine - I bought it. It will be delivered from California next week and I will formally request membership into this august group.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Update: I received my 2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J this past week. It's a 650mm scale length, 52mm nut, Cedar top-board and I believe CSA Rosewood B/S. It's in exceptional condition which you'd expect from a used instrument this new. I can only compare its tone to my Takamine C132S and my 1st thoughts are that it has more Bass and greater Sustain. I will learn to appreciate it more in time but right now I can admire it for what it is - a beautiful guitar derived from a heritage well founded in the science and art of a Master Luthier. That is in a class by itself for all of my guitars. I am a proud owner. I have one question for the group:

The Kohno website suggests detuning the instrument after each playing session. From the purists perspective that means everyday if that is how often you play. How many people adhere to this rule? Answer Yes, No or Mostly.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:11 pm

James A. Showalter wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:34 pm

The Kohno website suggests detuning the instrument after each playing session. From the purists perspective that means everyday if that is how often you play. How many people adhere to this rule? Answer Yes, No or Mostly.
I believe most people keep their guitars at pitch.
I would say no, don't detune day to day.
If you don't play for a few days or more, detune maybe a half tone.
If you're traveling detune a tone, if your baby is flying detune several tones.

Just my middle of the road opinion...

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:12 pm

oc chuck wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:11 pm

I believe most people keep their guitars at pitch.
I would say no, don't detune day to day.
If you don't play for a few days or more, detune maybe a half tone.
If you're traveling detune a tone, if your baby is flying detune several tones.

Just my middle of the road opinion...
Agreed. And welcome to the club!

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono

APK

Post by APK » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Update: I received my 2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J this past week. It's a 650mm scale length, 52mm nut, Cedar top-board and I believe CSA Rosewood B/S. It's in exceptional condition which you'd expect from a used instrument this new. I can only compare its tone to my Takamine C132S and my 1st thoughts are that it has more Bass and greater Sustain. I will learn to appreciate it more in time but right now I can admire it for what it is - a beautiful guitar derived from a heritage well founded in the science and art of a Master Luthier. That is in a class by itself for all of my guitars. I am a proud owner. I have one question for the group:

Congratulations on your new guitar. The Pro J is a lovely instrument.

In regard to detuning, there have been other threads in which forum members asked about the advice on the Kohno website. One Delcamp member actually wrote to Masaki Sakurai to ask about the recommendation. The reply that he received indicated that the detuning was meant simply to protect the strings, not the guitar. Unhappily, I can't recall which thread that was.

I hope that the above is helpful.

Best,
A

musguitar

Post by musguitar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:39 am

My 1962 KONO. Excellente!

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:56 am

For a guitar that is almost as old as I am that 1962 is in remarkable condition. A 30T must have been a top end guitar for that day. Does that mean the guitar was sold for 30,000 yen in 1962? I think in 1962 the exchange rate for yen/$ was 400 yen, maybe more but not less (MPC script may have been the valid US monetary exchange but I'll go with 400 Yen as my final answer). That's $75. At some point the exchange rate was revised to 360 Yen/$ so the guitar would have been $83.34. Still pretty cheap but this was in 1962 dollars. Just for historical awareness the rate of exchange was for many years and remained at 360 Yen/$ until after 1972 when Nixon removed the $ from the gold standard. Enough of history, if I am to add another guitar to my collection it will be a vintage Kohno hopefully as nice as this one.

And yes, the information about detuning is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for the help. I did not want to detune my guitars every day.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Return to “Luthiers”