Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by rinneby » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:29 pm

es335 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:23 pm
Thanks Jon! It's interesting to see that this bracing, which now seems to be the standard of recent Kohnos and probably Sakurais (at least in principle) had already been introduced while master Masaru was still with us.

How would you describe the sound difference to your '65 fan braced Kono?
To early to draw any conclusions, I will have to come back to you on that question. But I've updated my original post with my initial thoughts on the sound, I'm very pleased to say the least.

All the best

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1980 - Hirade Master Arte 8
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

User avatar
eno
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: Boston, USA

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by eno » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Interesting, there is a 1958 Kono for sale on e b a y right now, the label is handwritten. It has parallel bracing, so it looks like Kohno used parallel bracing before going to Spain, then he swithed to Spanish fan bracing for a decade in 60s as he learnt from Spanish masters, and then returned to parallel after 1969
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by rinneby » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:43 pm

eno wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:40 pm
Interesting, there is a 1958 Kono for sale on e b a y right now, the label is handwritten. It has parallel bracing, so it looks like Kohno used parallel bracing before going to Spain, then he swithed to Spanish fan bracing for a decade in 60s as he learnt from Spanish masters, and then returned to parallel after 1969
Scale: 620 mm
Nut: 48mm

:guitare:
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1980 - Hirade Master Arte 8
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

User avatar
musguitar
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 6:39 am

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by musguitar » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:25 am

dandan wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:30 am
It was seeing yours that persuaded me to buy mine! I imagine yours is bit more traditional sounding than mine. I like to think of yours as "Christmas tree" bracing!
Dandan, I found out that Kono's March '62 bracing continued his '61 which is 5-parallel bracing. Must I say lightly braced making it more resonant?

dandan
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: newcastle-under-lyme, staffs, England

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by dandan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:04 am

musguitar wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:25 am
dandan wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:30 am
It was seeing yours that persuaded me to buy mine! I imagine yours is bit more traditional sounding than mine. I like to think of yours as "Christmas tree" bracing!
Dandan, I found out that Kono's March '62 bracing continued his '61 which is 5-parallel bracing. Must I say lightly braced making it more resonant?
I see. Maybe his more experimental designs came later in the year. My guitar was completed in November.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1988 Hiroumi Yamaguchi SS
1977 Aria AG80

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by rinneby » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:04 am

Got my self a Sakurai from 1977:

Model: #10
Date of production: 1977
Date of aquisition: 2017
Top: Solid Spruce
Back/Sides: Solid Indian Rosewood
Remarks: Condition is very good, but I don't know if it's 660 or 650 mm scale yet.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1980 - Hirade Master Arte 8
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

User avatar
UPGuitar
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:47 pm
Location: UP/WI usa

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by UPGuitar » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:55 pm

rinneby wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:04 am
Got my self a Sakurai from 1977:

Model: #10
Date of production: 1977
Date of aquisition: 2017
Top: Solid Spruce
Back/Sides: Solid Indian Rosewood
Remarks: Condition is very good, but I don't know if it's 660 or 650 mm scale .

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
nice!!
-Masaki Sakurai concert sp/in
-Yamaha gc31c cd/in
-F.Sheppard French Romantic era replica sp/mpl
-S.Ganz "SunDog" sp/in
-S.Ganz "Brujo" 8-string sp/brz
-J.Sigurdson peghead flamenco sp/ayc
-S.Castillo peghead flamenco sp/cy

User avatar
eno
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: Boston, USA

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by eno » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:09 pm

rinneby wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:04 am
Got my self a Sakurai from 1977:

Model: #10
Date of production: 1977
Date of aquisition: 2017
Top: Solid Spruce
Back/Sides: Solid Indian Rosewood
Remarks: Condition is very good, but I don't know if it's 660 or 650 mm scale yet.

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Great, looks like a bearclaw spruce
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969

Return to “Luthiers”