Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
dta721

Re: Kohno & - Sakurai Guitar Fan Club, Delcamp branch

Post by dta721 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:20 pm

rinneby wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:36 pm
Congratulations! What strings do you use now? Savarez Cantiga Creation 510MR works great with the Kohno's and Sakurai's that I've tried. If you want even less tension La Bella 2001 Medium, or even low?! should be e good fit.

Good luck!

/Jon
I have no idea what kind of strings used by the previous owner; even when I asked the 12 Fret directly, they don't know. And like many new owners, I could experiment with new strings, but probably not right away, as still need to "condition" myself with this new toy, and for the most part, it is still playable!

As for lower tension, I've just realized it is kinda oxymoron to expect stronger bass with lower tension, will take some time to digest all info from the forum.

But thanks for your strings recommendation, I'll try them in due time! :okok:

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:29 pm

The A string snapped yesterday, not sure if related to the long travel distance from Toronto back home in the minus 20 deg C weather (it was in its case with a newly replenished humidifier). So after my initial response to Jon, I had a chance to replace with new strings. Local Long McQuade does not have a lot of selections for classical strings, Steve's Music however has that Augustine Imperial Blue (hard tension), which is actually recommended by Sakurai-san himself -as I heard.

The new strings do breath new life into this '76 guitar, bass is more pronounced and trebles chiming -a tad too bright, and I am a happy (Sakurai) camper!

Given the empty sound hole when changing strings, I took a couple photos with my cell phone, just for fun of it !

Have a happy new guitar day! :)
rinneby wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:36 pm
dta721 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:17 pm
As a new proud owner of a 1976 Sakurai No. 5 since 27 Dec 17, I am very pleased with the sweet and balanced sound across the audio spectrum, and kind of looking for info on strings that may enhance the bass. Your feedback on the Dogal Diamante Strong is particularly useful. The Sakurai has the expected action 4/3 mm, yet perhaps due to the longer scale, one 1 cm longer, I think a lower tension strings would make it more playable/enjoyable.

Many thanks to Martin and Jon, who helped provide info on the Sakurai with their wealth of knowledge and experience with these guitars!
:merci:
Congratulations! What strings do you use now? Savarez Cantiga Creation 510MR works great with the Kohno's and Sakurai's that I've tried. If you want even less tension La Bella 2001 Medium, or even low?! should be e good fit.

Good luck!

/Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 am

dta721 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:29 pm
The A string snapped yesterday, not sure if related to the long travel distance from Toronto back home in the minus 20 deg C weather (it was in its case with a newly replenished humidifier). So after my initial response to Jon, I had a chance to replace with new strings. Local Long McQuade does not have a lot of selections for classical strings, Steve's Music however has that Augustine Imperial Blue (hard tension), which is actually recommended by Sakurai-san himself -as I heard.

The new strings do breath new life into this '76 guitar, bass is more pronounced and trebles chiming -a tad too bright, and I am a happy (Sakurai) camper!

Given the empty sound hole when changing strings, I took a couple photos with my cell phone, just for fun of it !

Have a happy new guitar day! :)
Congrats on the new No.5 1976!
Yours is 1 month older than mine but is very much clean and fresh looking than mine in the inner :bravo:

I am currently using Master M.Sakurai suggested Savarez 510CR and happy with the overall good basses and treble sweetness. The 4th string is surprisingly durable, I used to tune down few step when keep it back to case after playing, the silverplated copper wound still in very good shade at the saddle side after months don't show any sign of loosing wound!

Beside the sound, I noticed the fretboard is very dark rock solid and smooth seem pretty good ebony there :lol:
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

dta721

Post by dta721 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks for your kind words! Perhaps it is one reason among others why I went for the Sakurai, a warm comradery support! :merci:

After a couple days with the Augustine Imperial Blue, I can feel the relatively more stiffness of the treble strings, which would reward with crispier sound, at the "cost" of playability. The left fingers just need to grow more ... callous! :)

That said, I will later use the normal tension strings as suggested by the very Master of this guitar, and attested by you!

Best regards,
David
keithwwk wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 am

Congrats on the new No.5 1976!
Yours is 1 month older than mine but is very much clean and fresh looking than mine in the inner :bravo:

I am currently using Master M.Sakurai suggested Savarez 510CR and happy with the overall good basses and treble sweetness. The 4th string is surprisingly durable, I used to tune down few step when keep it back to case after playing, the silverplated copper wound still in very good shade at the saddle side after months don't show any sign of loosing wound!

Beside the sound, I noticed the fretboard is very dark rock solid and smooth seem pretty good ebony there :lol:

Return to “Luthiers”