French Polish Care and Handling?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
DanRock101

Re: French Polish Care and Handling?

Post by DanRock101 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanagan wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:26 pm
Does anyone know whether the Virtuoso Cleaner + Polish would be safe on an old Ramirez (see my signature; lacquer finish).
BUMP on an old thread!

I'd also like to know about Virtuoso Cleaner (https://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/Virtuoso-Premium ... 8Q50BM)and other products like Preservation Polish (http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Su ... C_20170911).

Any other suggestions?
AER Compact 60, Mackie Freeplay
MacBookPro 9.1, MacPro1.1 & 3.1, Logic 9 & X, ProTools9, Finale 2014 & Encore 3.1
Metric Halo ULN8

dtrap

Re: French Polish Care and Handling?

Post by dtrap » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:29 am

I've been French polishing for over 30 years. I have not found any wax that will help keep the finish clear when one lives/plays in a hot humid environment. I have seen nitro cellulous do the same thing in very warm humid conditions.
I have been using a new shellac product for such conditions called Royal Lac made by shellacfinsihes.com
It take 30 days to cure as it has a polymer in it so it takes that long to cross link. It is certainly more durable than straight shellac, holds up to heat and sweat better, builds fast and looks great. Just don't use water to sand between coats or even to level the final coat.
Sand dry if possible with super Assilex papers.
For traditional French polish always use a soft cotton cloth between your body and the guitar when playing. A cotton sock with the end cut off to slide over your arm works well. Put a polishing cloth between your chest and the back of the guitar: or don't worry about it and just play the guitar.
even if the finish looks cloudy it is still there and doing its job of protecting the wood.
Cheers

Return to “Luthiers”