Are Some Guitars Prone to STRING DING?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rounie

Re: Are Some Guitars Prone to STRING DING?

Post by rounie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:32 am

Hi all,

Have a string ding (two of them) and they break my heart whenever i look at them...use a bridge bib without fail now.... :)
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:30 pm

I use Post-it notes to protect against string ding while I'm restringing and for a couple of days after. The standard-size Post-it notes are 3inx3in, which makes them the perfect size. I pull off a pad of notes about 6 notes thick. I push the sticky end of the pad up against the bridge and press it down to make it stick. I find the pad is sufficiently sticky to stay there as long as you want, while not being so sticky as to leave a residue when you remove it.

rounie

Post by rounie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:45 am

Hi Gitgeezer,

Thanks for your post-very nice tip!!! will try the same :bravo:
Last edited by rounie on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

Michael Thames

Post by Michael Thames » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Patrick delBosque wrote:The dreaded string ding, caused by catastrophic failure of the string to stay tied to the darn bridge. I have two on my Alhambra Luthier Rio, one came with it when I bought it and I put one on myself when the 1st string broke while putting on new strings. Today I put on new strings for only the second time since purchase and though I didn't get string dings (having protected the bridge area) I ended up having to tie knots in the first four strings to get them to hold in place when put under tension. I've never had to do anything but the usual double twist thing with any of the 5 classical guitars I've owned previously (all WAY cheaper than this one though).

Is there something with the design of the bridge or the tie block with some guitars that would make them more prone to this problem, such as the angle of the string or whatever?

Thanks Luthiers!
Patrick
Here's a "guitar tip of the Week" video I made about this very problem, at first it might seem simplistic, but after seeing the abuse of guitars with players changing strings and gouging up the French polish behind the bridge I decide to make this video, I hope it saves some guitars from total destruction. BTW, those clingon tap plates some people use work fine too, just don't leave them permanently on your guitar they can really mess up the finish.

Also, yes the 12 hole bridges are most pro to problems because most guitarists are un familiar with the correct way to tie the knots. Most of the strings are fine except for the 1st string, which slips because it is so smooth....... one thing I do is take some 600 grit sand paper and rough up the end of the treble strings so they aren't so slippery, this helps with slippage expesially of the the first string.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JjF8SG- ... plpp_video

bullpuppy

Post by bullpuppy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:16 pm

I put 12 hole blocks in all my guitars and i put them on guitars that I repair that need a less then 2 mm bridge reshaping to correct high actions. When reshaping the bridge and the break angle is less than 30 degrees the 12 hole block will increase break angle. Sometimes it's necessary fill and redrill the existing holes.

I never had an issue with string slippage when I started to use this method . I loop the 3rd string end under the loop of the 2nd and loop the 2nd string end under the loop of the 1st string. On the 1st I loop it back under the 2nd. I leave enough string to melt to put a small ball. Make sure all ends are not on top of the block but are on the end. When tightening I do it a little at a time at first so the there is some tension on the string ends then bring it up to tune. I always put the ends through the next strIng loop on ALL strings and melt the end's on the first 3 even 6 hole block also. This method assure's no ends will contact the top and cause buzzing.

Its pretty sad to see a perfect top with nasty gash due string damage. The some sets of static cling-on tap plates include a piece to put on behind the tie block which is not a bad idea.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:16 pm

One more benefit from string beads is that if a string breaks it doesn't dent the sound board.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

bullpuppy

Post by bullpuppy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Yes the string beads will work provided that the block holes are not too close to the soundboard. I have used them but now I just drill in the holes for the 12 hole block.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Without going through all other contributions: It's not the guitar that is prone to 'string ding', it's the caused either by string breakage caused by a sharp edged or wrongly shaped saddle bone or by string slippage caused by improper loop. Especially fluorocarbon strings are very slippery and thin and can slip. It requires some security measures to avoid this. It has been often described in this forum, there are some alternatives how to attach strings so that they are secure and aesthetically pleasing for you.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

bullpuppy

Post by bullpuppy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:30 pm

Yes you are correct. Slipped strings causes ding and so does breakage due to sharp edges on the saddle or string holes. On a new bridge I always take a A string and feed it through the hole and lift up and run it back and forth acting like a file to gently round then hole edges. Plus a gentle rounding the edges of the tie block is must too. I have found putting the string ends in the next sting's loop helps to prevent dinks regardless of the cause of the break.

I still find my self gritting my teeth during the first windup due to past breakages Lol.

Return to “Luthiers”