Best alternative neck wood?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Robert Webster

Re: Best alternative neck wood?

Post by Robert Webster » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Al, I love it. That's the best twist on civil disobedience I've heard in a long time.

Bob

Robert England
Luthier

Post by Robert England » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi, guys. This threat has turned out to be very interesting, and fun , too! But it has segwayed into a discussion of the Lacey Act. Stuff we all need to know. But does anyone have an opinion about the wood alternatives, in terms of their value in making guitar necks?
Robert

Alexandru Marian
Luthier

Post by Alexandru Marian » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Fwiw I am getting a few khaya blanks with my next wood order. I looked around for cherry but nothing yet. You can get walnut necks from Dave Maize (at least he has it listed) or octopus. Port orford cedar from LMI and a few other small dealers I can't recall right now.

From what I read on khaya, it can range from really light, coarse, with internal tension to nice, dense and darker in color. I think it is wise (with all wood) to slice a thin piece off the blank's side and see if it twists badly. I've found a few Spanish cedar blanks with lots of tension which I had to turn into dentellones.

Same with spruce. Once I split 5 blanks for the transverse braces but didn't get a chance to finish and glue the 2 for the soundboard. Next morning they were really badly twisted!

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:32 am

someone knows TOLA?
i had worked with this wood some years ago and i like it
i believe that is known as well as Nigerian Cedar
Scientific name
Gossweilerodendron balsamiferum Harms

as wood for neck i realise that is very similar to cedar (called spanish)

In cites well i didn't find nothing about this wood
someone have some more knowledge?
I'm a Luthier living in Bury st Edmunds UK

Return to “Luthiers”