Best tuning machines?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rojarosguitar

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:33 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm
... If the outer hole (@ center of the head) is to large or off centered, the inner bearing is going to wear prematurely and slop will ensue.
In that case ball bearings might help...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

amezcua

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by amezcua » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:31 pm

I`m thinking of the wear and tear on a Tatay guitar I bought recently . The brass gears were pretty worn down but not too bad for a sixty year old guitar . I found a site that sells packs of six brass gears for replacements . The E string worm pivots were a bit too rattly to use again . they had a few cross head screws so most likely not original . Not fit to grace this topic . Not such a rich man`s game as violins though . They decorated their pegs with bits of dead elephants .(Tiny ebony balls on the tips .)Edit Ebony?? I mean Ivory .
One is black and the other is white. So why do I keep getting them mixed up ? I know what they are .Why do I do that ? Is that like making a mistake in the music and struggling to put it right for ever ?

Return to “Luthiers”