Best tuning machines?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
gjo
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by gjo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:46 am

My preferences are:

- Rodgers
- Scheller
- Sloane

I wouldn´t even mind to name the much cheaper standard Schaller HG1 machines. They work well (ask Smallman) and they are cheap enough to be replaced after a while. Who would throw away one of the high-price machines like Rodgers or Graf? Nobody!

Also some of the Gotohs are fine.

Gilberts are working great, as well as the Freewheel (are they still made?), but both are a bit to "modern" for my style of guitars.

Several years ago I ordered one set of Alessis which turned out to be rather poor both in function and craftsmanship. My communication with Alessi (direct meeting during a fair) was anything else but a pleasure and he repeatedly tried to tell me that the quality of other high-price machines was not any better which definitely was not true. I handled quite a few high-price machines in my life and his machine was one of the two worst machines in that price range that I ever had in my hands. Maybe that he had a bad day when he made the set I recieved and it was a one-of-a-kind "lemon" but the whole story continued for nearly two years and did not invite me to order another set. BUT, to tell the truth, I have seen other Alessis that were better than the one I recieved.

tmartin

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by tmartin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:03 pm

This is all great info, but boy are all of the before mentioned turners seriously expensive. I'm interested in the Rodgers b/c those are the ones Richard Brune uses on his guitars. About 1200 for the pair...

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by petermc61 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:21 pm

tmartin wrote:This is all great info, but boy are all of the before mentioned turners seriously expensive. I'm interested in the Rodgers b/c those are the ones Richard Brune uses on his guitars. About 1200 for the pair...
This thread is about the "best" so I guess it is no surprise some if them are expensive. I have three guitars with Rodgers installed and they are my absolute favourites.

If you are interested in best for a more approachable price then suggesting a budget might refine the discussion. Or just say 'what the heck', pull out the credit card and enjoy the Rodgers!

Peter

Dave1947

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by Dave1947 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:51 am

Like a lot of the others I think Rodger's....as long as money is no object! The best tuner's for the money Gotoh Premium's. Built really well and half the price of Alessi's. The Alessi's do have an extra bushing on the inside of the roller but I feel no practical difference in smoothness.

es335
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by es335 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:46 am

Dave1947 wrote:Like a lot of the others I think Rodger's....as long as money is no object! The best tuner's for the money Gotoh Premium's. Built really well and half the price of Alessi's. The Alessi's do have an extra bushing on the inside of the roller but I feel no practical difference in smoothness.
The new Gotho anti-friction aluminum rollers have built-in bushings (the milky ring at the tip of the rollers), so it's no wonder they perform equally! :D

Despite that I fully second that they are probably the best value for the money. But the price difference between Gotoh and Alessi varies of course with your location. In EU it's much less!

choro
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Germany

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by choro » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:21 am

es335 wrote:
Dave1947 wrote:Like a lot of the others I think Rodger's....as long as money is no object! The best tuner's for the money Gotoh Premium's. Built really well and half the price of Alessi's. The Alessi's do have an extra bushing on the inside of the roller but I feel no practical difference in smoothness.
The new Gotho anti-friction aluminum rollers have built-in bushings (the milky ring at the tip of the rollers), so it's no wonder they perform equally! :D

Despite that I fully second that they are probably the best value for the money. But the price difference between Gotoh and Alessi varies of course with your location. In EU it's much less!
Hello ,

i installed the Gotoh 510er Tuners 3 days ago on my guitar. It is an older Version with Aluminium rollers but without the ball bearings.
I had both versions with and without the ball bearings and all worked very smooth and precisely.
Here in Europe they are for sale at Madinter . The price range is beetween 110 and 150 Euro . Delivery in Europe around 10 Euro ...

I owned Alessi , Rodgers and Scheller tuners that are also very good tuning machines
but much more expensive. If money is a problem and you want to have a really good Tuning machine go for the GOTOHs
Gotoh 5102.jpg
Gotoh 5101.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ambridge Series 40 Spruce Rosewood

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:52 pm
Location: Victoria, B.C. Canada

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:12 pm

choro wrote:I owned Alessi , Rodgers and Scheller tuners that are also very good tuning machines
but much more expensive. If money is a problem and you want to have a really good Tuning machine go for the GOTOHs
Yes, I have to agree. The designer tuners are great if you have the money, but those Gotoh 510 with frictionless rollers are very smooth and accurate. I cannot think of anything in their price range that work as well.

Ciro Marzio
Luthier
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 am
Location: Napoli - Italy

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by Ciro Marzio » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Those Gotoh work fine but they are rather heavy. I use them on my studio guitars.
But I prefere to use Alessi whenever possible. They are not so expensive on this side of the ocean and they are totally worth that 50-60% extra cost.
Ciro Marzio
Luthier and Audio Designer
"guitarrero" desde 1983

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:52 pm
Location: Victoria, B.C. Canada

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Ciro Marzio wrote:But I prefere to use Alessi whenever possible. They are not so expensive on this side of the ocean and they are totally worth that 50-60% extra cost.
Yeah, If you're living in Italy it's a wise choice. I've ordered them a couple of times, but I usually go with Rodgers or Graf, both are here in Canada now, which makes shipping easy and cheap for me. But the Sloanes and Gotohs are good too, for those who don't want to pay the extra $500 or so.

choro
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Germany

Re: AW: Best tuning machines?

Post by choro » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Ciro Marzio wrote:Those Gotoh work fine but they are rather heavy. I use them on my studio guitars.
But I prefere to use Alessi whenever possible. They are not so expensive on this side of the ocean and they are totally worth that 50-60% extra cost.
This is right...the heavier weight can cause a change in the beauty of the tone. On an old Kohno I owned the change to the 35 Ar 510 Gotoh makes the guitar a bit duller. So that I went back to an lighter tuning machine.

The changing on my new guitar was without this problem, so I think you must try it if it will work with your guitar.
Ambridge Series 40 Spruce Rosewood

User avatar
Les Backshall
Luthier
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:12 pm
Location: Aylesbury UK

Re: AW: Best tuning machines?

Post by Les Backshall » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:53 pm

choro wrote:....the heavier weight can cause a change in the beauty of the tone...
Really - I don't think even manufacturers' marketing hype has ever claimed their tuners can improve the tone of a guitar.
I assume you must have taken the strings off to change the tuners - you don't that might have made the difference?

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

riffmeister
Posts: 4128
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by riffmeister » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:01 pm

I subjected my guitar to a really good tuning machine today. Came out sounding great.

But then the humidity changed......

choro
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Germany

Re: AW: Best tuning machines?

Post by choro » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Les Backshall wrote:
choro wrote:....the heavier weight can cause a change in the beauty of the tone...
Really - I don't think even manufacturers' marketing hype has ever claimed their tuners can improve the tone of a guitar.
I assume you must have taken the strings off to change the tuners - you don't that might have made the difference?

Les
Hi Les,

who am I to tell a luthier that this change was the reason for the duller sound. ...maybe yes, maybe no...
Perhaps psycho acoustic, who knows...at that time I believed to hear a change...when I installed the old machine , everything was alright again...

At my actual guitar, there is no noticeable difference in sound
when I changed to the Gotoh.

Perhaps Mr. Ciro Marzio can tell us why he choose the lighter Alessis for his guitars, and the Gotoh for his student models because of the weight...

I am just a player and don't know the secrets why one guitar works that way and the second in an other way...
Ambridge Series 40 Spruce Rosewood

User avatar
bacsidoan
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:59 am

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:19 pm

Choro, I can tell you that on a very lightly built guitar, a heavy set of tuning machines can tip it out of balance (weight wise) as the headstock is pulled down by the additional weight. This can actually be tiresome on the left shoulder after a long playing session. On my cypress guitar, I had to replace a set of Rodgers with the Alessi F6 (weighing 100 gm). That made a huge difference on my arthritic left shoulder with biceps tendinitis.

User avatar
Kent
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:40 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by Kent » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Average weight for machines is about 145 grams. The difference between 100 grams &145 grams is 1.587 Ounces.
This can have a major difference in player fatigue?

Return to “Luthiers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alan Hamley, bftobin, CommonCrawl [Bot], coreybox, dandan, doralikesmath, doug, hgabriel, ivan, JohnH, Matt Jacobs, Ruki1414, senunkan, Yvon and 64 guests