Best tuning machines?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Best tuning machines?

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:34 am

o.schlosser tuners.gif
Just found these. They cost less than 100 euros and it seams to be very good quality. Has anybody tried them? I have always loved very simple looking tuners without too much rococo. The buttons are not wood but ebony imitation which is differently a minus - but who really cares? I have ivory imitation on the Van Gent 310 tuners I usually put on my traditional model and you could not tell the difference. These tuners are from O.Schlosser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

choro

Re: AW: Best tuning machines?

Post by choro » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Also a good tuning machine,...here in Europe around 200-250€
Alessi Hauser 1 with white rollers, ebony knobs
uploadfromtaptalk1383308445113.jpg
The Schlosser tuners has a bit the look of the higher aluminum tuners of Gotohs ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ambridge Series 40 Spruce Rosewood

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Yes these Alessi are beautyfull. I ordered Alessi once and it lasted long, about 5 month. Yours probably cost at least 300 euros with VAT unless it is the flamenco model. This so called O.Schlosser must be only the importer as I found exactly the same on the site of der Jung in Taiwan. http://www.derjung.com.tw/upload/file/3 ... _1_cht.jpg

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:30 am

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:Yes these Alessi are beautyfull. I ordered Alessi once and it lasted long, about 5 month. Yours probably cost at least 300 euros with VAT unless it is the flamenco model. This so called O.Schlosser must be only the importer as I found exactly the same on the site of der Jung in Taiwan. http://www.derjung.com.tw/upload/file/3 ... _1_cht.jpg
This was my initial assumption seeing theses pictures but was irritated by the formely unknown company O.Schlosser and Schneidermusik's price. Finally I found the German seller in Munich in the BAY which I did remember for Der Jung tuners. Search for Magic Guitar Parts or Der Jung and you will find them just at half of the price! :D

choro

Post by choro » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:46 am

Hello Christian,

der Jung Tuning machines are not very good in Quality .
i have one on an cheap student 3/4 guitar of my daughter.

Selling Price is around 25 Euros here in Germany .

If you are searching for a good working machine
in the pricerange 25 - 80 Euro i would go with
Rubners or Schallers .

They are not outstanding, but a better value for the same Money
Ambridge Series 40 Spruce Rosewood

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:20 am

[/quote]
This was my initial assumption seeing theses pictures but was irritated by the formely unknown company O.Schlosser and Schneidermusik's price. Finally I found the German seller in Munich in the BAY which I did remember for Der Jung tuners. Search for Magic Guitar Parts or Der Jung and you will find them just at half of the price! :D[/quote]

Thank you for your information, perhaps I will give them a trie sometime. I found also this is a kind of missinformation on the schneider site and did not like that - not very german at all in fact.

choro wrote:Hello Christian,

Rubners or Schallers .

Hi Choro,

Thank you for your return. Normally I like Rubner and I find they are excellent value for the money. I have seen many worn out Schaller tuners on pretty expensive guitars, they feel like having sand in the gear, and personally I wouldn't use them. In general I see sometimes tuners which are poorly fitted and do not work smooth because of that - and the best tuners would not avoid this. I have seen this with Rubner also, if the holes are too tight they will not run smooth. There are a few very simple issues with tuners that makes them run smooth or not. Cheaper tuners have sometimes eccentric splints in the rollers which inhibits the roller to turn regularly and make them turning hard. It is enough to change the roller for a perfectly concentric and it will run smooth then.
As anyone I love nice tuners and I will pay any amount for a pair of tuners as long as the client really wants them. What I personally found is that is also a very psychological subject - you can have very nice tuners which cost 30 euros and run very smooth and do not wear as long as they are correctly mounted. I have seen hard running Sloan tuners also and I don't think that the brand itself is a guaranty.

Pierre330

Post by Pierre330 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:00 pm

I just put these Gotoh's (from Luthier's Mercantile Int.) on the Loriente Angela. I love them. Very big difference in comparison to the stock tuners which were also Gotoh (35G1800). I also prefer the look of these as well - I have a preference for black rollers and darker plates.
20131102_163512.jpg
20131102_163531.jpg
Pierre

A painter paints pictures on canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence. - Leopold Stokowski

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:12 pm

choro wrote:Hello Christian,

Rubners or Schallers .

I think Der Jung tuning machines come in multiple grades. I believe my Sinomusik had a set installed and they were quite decent. My current guitars have Gilbert (Hippner) and friction resistant Gotoh (Sinomusik). Both are really great but I slightly prefer the Gilbert's.
- Kam

2012 Hippner Hauser SP/IR
[Savarez Corum 500R Normal Basses
La Bella RN-L Rectified Nylon Light Trebles]

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi Superconductor,

Thank you for your return. This is also the impression that I had when I took a look to their site. The more expensive models are of better quality than the cheaper ones.

In the following picture I show one of my favorite tuners: Van Gent 310. It is made in Europe, the plates are solid brass and they look fantastic when the metal get somewhat oxidized. The gears are of good quality and run smooth. The motive is hand cut by the grand son of duke Van Gent - he smokes a cigarette between each main motif or takes a walk with his dog to inspire himself, or when it rains he calls his girlfriend and chats with her for a break, they kiss or even who knows?(Just joking - as guitarists like myths..) These tuners are very good value for the money - they cost about 30 euros ordering directly from Van Gent tuners ( by ordering 10 units for example) They tune as good as a guitar could possibly get tuned and have that special touch of the noble brass. Brass is an auto-lubrificant metal and does not wear easily.If they must be replaced someday this will cost you about 50 euros, work included. So what could someone expect more from a nice pair of tuners? They are also very silent, they don't talk, and don't ask questions and don't cheat you with other guitars.

Well forgive me in advance, I am very sarcastic today.
Van Gent Nº 310 brass.jpg

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Christian,

Ha, I enjoyed reading your post! I will keep Van Gent in mind as an option.

Thanks.
- Kam

2012 Hippner Hauser SP/IR
[Savarez Corum 500R Normal Basses
La Bella RN-L Rectified Nylon Light Trebles]

Julian

Post by Julian » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:35 am

Hi,

I have used 4 Gotohs and am presently having Reischl (1), Black Robson (1), Alessi (5), and Rodgers (4).

1. Reischl
After using it for more than 3 years, Reischl was pathetic because it was very very hard to turn. So I applied WD40, and started to clean it. Everytime I replace the string, I clean the worm and gear with WD40. It is my most favorite tuner because it is very easy to turn and is very accurate. Now my Reischl is in the 14th year, it looks just as new, and is working perfectly.

2. Rodgers
Rodgers machines are the most beautiful and is extremely easy to turn. In fact I almost feel 'no friction' at all during turning (because of the brass and teflon material). Again sometimes I prefer to feel 'something' when turning. Still the most preferred and expensive machines.

3. Alessi
The Alessi is also beautiful, typically the famous Italian design. Very nice turning, in between Reischl and Rodgers. Some says Alessi doesnot last long, but mine is excellent.

4. Gotoh
The high-end Gotoh is also very good, and very easy to turn as it is with Rodgers.

5. Blake Robson
I used to own Robson machine. Amongst the above, Its mechanic is probably the best. But it is extremely difficult to communicate with the man.

6. Others
Some others best machine from Germany are Graf and klaus Scheller. I plan to purchase these machines from the gentlemen.

So I would invest for a good tuning machine because they would last for a very long time, besides any good machine installed on a decent guitar would bring it to a better attention. For instance: Greg Smallman uses a cheap Schaller which I think he should have installed a Rodgers or similar.

Rgds,

Julian
Masaru Kohno No.50 - 1981
Yamaha GC 71 - 1984
Gary Southwell - 1997 ex. Julian Bream - a bench copy of 'Hauser 1940'
Oskar Graf - 2000
Fritz Ober 'Hauser 1' - 2007
Richard Brune 'Fleta 1956' - 2011
Andrea Tacchi 'Bouchet' - 2014

Adam S. Vernon

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I thought Graf was in Canada.

Pierre330

Post by Pierre330 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 pm

According to Graf web site they are in Canada - and by the looks of the area code (613) in the general area of where I grew up.
Pierre

A painter paints pictures on canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence. - Leopold Stokowski

ivan

Post by ivan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:58 pm

Jorg Graf (graf tuner) and his older brother - Oskar Graf (luthier) is both germany who moved to Canada long time ago.

Julian

Post by Julian » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:10 am

Yes, both Graf are from Berlin, Germany.

I own Oskar Graf guitar: marvellous guitar, exquisite material, perfect craftmanship with superb tone. I don' get bored playing my Oskar Graf. The more I play the better it sounds.

I couldn't comment of Jorg's tuning machine because I don't own it.

Julian
Masaru Kohno No.50 - 1981
Yamaha GC 71 - 1984
Gary Southwell - 1997 ex. Julian Bream - a bench copy of 'Hauser 1940'
Oskar Graf - 2000
Fritz Ober 'Hauser 1' - 2007
Richard Brune 'Fleta 1956' - 2011
Andrea Tacchi 'Bouchet' - 2014

Return to “Luthiers”