Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Allister Slingenberg

Re: FAQs about Classical Guitars - Discussion

Postby Allister Slingenberg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

thanks for this contribution. Always good to get back to basics

MichaelBo

Postby MichaelBo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:37 pm

I couldn't find a discussion on the recommended cleaning and polishing for French polished guitars. What do you use, and why?
Thanks - m

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Postby Waddy Thomson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Damp cloth, not wet, wipe off, buff dry with soft cloth - microfiber or something like that. Maybe a drop of dish washing detergent (Dawn or similar) in a dish of water would be OK for tough dirt. With just water, it may take repeated wiping to get grunge off, but it will soften up and wipe off.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

MichaelBo

Postby MichaelBo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks much! This is the first guitar I've owned with such a finish - I really like, and prefer, it.
m

Tay.Lulz

Postby Tay.Lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 am

A friend emailed me a link to a really great article explaining the basics in lattice inventions over the centuries. I think it's a great addition to this post! http://www.classicalguitarcanada.ca/201 ... l-guitars/

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:24 am

Hi Tay.Lulz.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Gaspere

Frequently Asked Questions about Classical Guitars

Postby Gaspere » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:12 am

Hi James.

The issue about tonal character in terms fundamentals and overtones in the guitar keeps evading my understanding. Even when I have thought that I understood, it proved to be evaporated later on.
Would you be kind enough to include the explanation in this otherwise fine compliation?

The other thing is about air resonance. Kind of central to discussions about guitar character these days. I have been told that luthiers tune the soundboard - and thus the air resonnace?- and choose how they want it to be. When the edges of the soundboard are thinner, the air resonance goes down in tone?
Would it be a lot to ask to include here a quick introduction to the different types of "box tuning" and how luthiers do it and how the different measures are related?

Last. Wolf tones. How do they relate to tuning of the sound board. Do luthiers choose where on the fret board the destructive interference is best placed?
A comment here?

Thanks, and please delete this post and ignore parts or all if you chose. :smorfia:

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:41 am

Hi Gaspere,

Good questions - I don't have time to respond just now, as I'm heading off to Scotland for the Classical Guitar Retreat. In the meantime, if anyone else wants to put forward any thoughts...

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Frederic

Postby Frederic » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:44 pm

What polish do our members use? What polish do our luthiers use AFTER an instrument has received its final finish coat, and is thoroughly dry?

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Frederic wrote:What polish do our members use? What polish do our luthiers use AFTER an instrument has received its final finish coat, and is thoroughly dry?

In my case - none. Once I've finished French polishing (with shellac), no other "polish" is used.

James

Paul Janssen

Postby Paul Janssen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:07 am

I hope I have posted this question in the correct spot. And perhaps it can become a FAQ in the future.

My question is simple. Is it OK to leave a Classical Guitar out on a stand all the time (i.e. only ever put it in its case for transportation)? Apart from the risk of accidental damage, is there any other risk with doing this? I choose to leave my guitar our all the time so that it is convenient for me to grab it and play whenever I want. I'm just curious if I could be doing it some damage (or conversely whether perhaps this is actually desirable?).

Thanks,
Paul

Jacek A. Rochacki

Postby Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:09 am

Putting aside the question of mechanical damage I would take under most serious consideration the question of proper humidity. Too dry - and guitar may crack, too "wet" and guitar may be disformed.
I live in apartment house with central heating, and in winter the air in my apartment is very dry. I do not have properly "conditioned" music room, so I keep my guitars (when I do not play) in solid hard shell cases with humidifiers put inside, and I check the level of humidity with hygrometers that I also put inside cases. I try to keep the humidity 50%.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

chuck

Postby chuck » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:24 pm

James,

First I want to add my thanks for the excellent job you have done on the FAQ. And I want to point out an incomplete sentence you accidentally left at the end of the second paragraph of # 14:

The change in air volume will have some effect, but not necessarily either good or bad – after

Chuck

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Thanks for spotting that Chuck - now fixed.

James

dbeau

Postby dbeau » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:42 am

I've read on this forum that double tops tend to limit the range of harmonics vs. solid tops. True or not?

Return to “Luthiers”