Christopher Carrington Guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
jonathanpranoto

Christopher Carrington Guitar

Post by jonathanpranoto » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi,

i wonder if there anyone who ever tried Chris Carrington guitar?

i read some a good review about his guitar and his guitar is totally at affordable price (around 3000 USD)

anyone ever tried it? would you all please share your experience about his guitar

i watched some videos on youtube, his guitar is really good for both spruce and cedar top, but i know i can't judge it with just watched the youtube

thank you so much for your share

-jonathan-

Tom Blackshear

Re: Christopher Carrington Guitar

Post by Tom Blackshear » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:42 pm

jonathanpranoto wrote:Hi,

i wonder if there anyone who ever tried Chris Carrington guitar?

i read some a good review about his guitar and his guitar is totally at affordable price (around 3000 USD)

anyone ever tried it? would you all please share your experience about his guitar

i watched some videos on youtube, his guitar is really good for both spruce and cedar top, but i know i can't judge it with just watched the youtube

thank you so much for your share

-jonathan-
Chris is a good guitar maker with a lot of experience and you should enjoy owning one.

Gruupi

Post by Gruupi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:45 pm

I play a 2007 Christopher Carrington, I absolutely love it. Everyone has their own tastes but it has exactly the sound I want. Regardless of the relatively inexpensive price, I would choose it over any guitar I have played.

rabidmuskrat

Post by rabidmuskrat » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:33 pm

I have nothing but praise for my Carrington guitar. He made a smaller scale guitar, with a slightly narrower nut, and it's the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. The tone is warm, beautiful, very resonate, and it has a nice sustain. I've played several Carrington guitars before I purchased mine, and all of them have had these wonderful qualities. Overall, I can highly recommend his guitars, even without discussing price. The price is just a bonus!

jonathanpranoto

Post by jonathanpranoto » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Thank you so much for your reply guys

i need more details about C. Carrington guitar
maybe about playability, dynamic range, tone character, what music is suitable for that guitar, his craftmanship?

Thank you so much before

Gruupi

Post by Gruupi » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:47 am

Chris and I talked about playabilty and action before he made mine. I prefer a lower action and easier playing than his personal guitar that I played in his shop, he seemed to read my mind about what I expected in the feel. I think he can meet your specific needs, he is a very experienced player as well as luthier, so he knows what you are talking about when you discuss playability.

Dynamic range is just what you would expect from a traditional classical guitar. The tone character is traditional as well, kind of old school spanish sound. At this point it is subjective, but to me I think his trebles in particular have lots of overtones that just sing. I am not such a fan of loud fundamental notes with no overtones which you hear in many modern guitars, Chris's guitars just sound musical. So far anything I played on this guitar has just sounded good for me, I play a range of pieces, and it meets all my needs. I bought a cedar top, but played a spruce top for awhile when mine was being made, they were different but still had that characteristic singing tone.

I don't know how to judge craftsmanship, but the guitar has nice details and is well made. It is a handmade guitar so every one is going to have it's idiosyncrasies. His design is unique, and some people don't like the look, but I do, and the coloring on the binding and other subtle details are nice.

Listen to some YouTube videos of people playing his guitars. Even with different players and poor quality of videos, you can usually hear the characteristic sound. More than once I have listened to clips and thought that was a nice sound, to later find out it was a Carrington.

jonathanpranoto

Post by jonathanpranoto » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Thank you so much for the response, i buy 2nd chirs carrington guitar, and it should ship after i finish my payment, hope i'll like it :D

jonathanpranoto

Post by jonathanpranoto » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:03 pm

I got my Chris Carrington guitar, it's very fine guitar, really balance guitar i think

the bass just right what i like, it's big, but not too deep and it still clear, the treble is very lyrical and quite tight

mine has 660mm scale, and it's really comfortable for my big hand

it will improve, since the last owner almost didn't play it, and it still look like new, it made on 2006

overall i'm very satisfied

historymanjoe

Post by historymanjoe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:00 am

I own a Carrington. Cedar, Indian Rosewood. I think that the playability of the instrument is really great. I have played several instruments where the fretboards are too bulky in terms of thickness, this one is just right. I know that is not a consideration that many people regularly discuss, but in this case I am really pleased with how comfortable the string spacing and fretboard thickness is.

Mr. Carrington's guitar shape is a little different than most classical guitars. The shoulders are softer and the bout is not as deep as what I have played before. I think that this lends to the sheer volume of the instrument which is one of Carrington's signatures. In my estimation, and I am by no means a luthier, this pushes the sound to the larger area of the soundboard and keeps it from bouncing around in places that don't vibrate as freely.

I have three places that I love playing this guitar and I think really show the expressiveness that it can have. 1. Low E and A string between 1st and 5th fret. The bass on this guitar is nothing less than absolutely thunderous. It makes songs like Bach's Bouree in Em really take on a new life, as the construction of the guitar is such that the bass and the treble of the guitar are unusually clear and distinct from each other. Actually I am surprised at the clarity of the cedar top. 2. High E and B strings between 9th and 12th fret. This instrument expresses a very clean high end that I describe as "poppy". The guitar is its most clear here, and I have noticed that the consistency of my high E-string has matured over the last 9 years I have owned the guitar. 3. G, D, and A strings between 5th and 9th fret. This is where my guitar is the most expressive. When I utilize vibrato here it feels like I can almost pull sound out of the guitar with my left hand. If I can pull it off musically I try to transpose anything that is played on B, G, and D in the first five frets to this warmer section of the instrument. This, without a doubt, is my favorite place to play this guitar.

Finally, the instrument is really beautiful and impressive to show off. Carrington's signature headstock, rosette, and body shape remind me of a moorish mosque...perhaps tying the guitar artistically to its Spanish roots??????????? Anyway, it is beautiful and unique and has OBVIOUS love put into it.

I chose to have electronics put in my guitar and now I wish I wouldn't have, but only because I am more of a purist than I was 9 years ago. But if you decide to go with electronics, they are REALLY great!!!

I hope this helps a little!

best wishes

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:52 am

Hi Joe.

Welcome to the forum. Could you please introduce yourself in the here so we can let you know how to get the most out of the forum.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

strngdrvnthng

Post by strngdrvnthng » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:22 pm

I like his guitars. I almost bought one four years ago but I'd already purchased a GV Rubio and a Vicente Carillo by the time the Carrington came on the market and I didn't want to live on bread and water for a year. :D

kelidj

Post by kelidj » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi
Carrington did build one left handed cedar top guitar for me in 1996 (guitar nr. 86). It has been my faithful companion ever since. It has a warm tone and is easy to play. Not that I have much comparison since my Carrington guitar is the only classical guitar I play. Not many left-handed guitars around. Here is my Carrington guitar and an interview with the luthier. http://www.vefurkela.com/index.php/tonl ... n-gitarinn

curtis e allen

Post by curtis e allen » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:45 am

I just picked up a used Carrington guitar. Cedar topped, with a soundport. I agree with a post above indicating his guitars are a bit differently shaped than others. For example, the body is longer than my Ramirez 4E, but not as deep. (The 4E in turn is deeper than my New World Player.). The 4E will probably be leaving me soon to support the purchase of the Carrington.

The Carrington has a mellower tone in general, certainly more mellow than my spruce topped guitar and the Ramirez 4E. Full range of dynamics, accentuated for the player via the soundport.

Curtis

2011 Christopher Carrington
2014 New World Player 650 Spruce

Return to “Luthiers”