Case cover recommendations?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
wechard

Case cover recommendations?

Post by wechard » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering which brands/options people would suggest for a guitar case cover. This is mainly for thermal protection in the winter, although general extra weatherproofing would be welcome. The inner case will be a generic "Canadian" case for now, although when I eventually get my new guitar it will be a TKL 9100 on the inside. I don't put these through anything extreme, mostly just into and out of the car a few times a week and the occasional bus ride, but it does get pretty cold here in the winter and pretty rainy in the Fall and Spring. Thanks...

melliebird

Re: Case cover recommendations?

Post by melliebird » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Stringsbymail has case covers that are great. They are made by Colorado Case.

Tim W

Post by Tim W » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Colorado Case covers are excellent. Small Dog also makes covers, but I have never used one.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Tim W wrote:Colorado Case covers are excellent. Small Dog also makes covers, but I have never used one.
Be aware that a Colorado case cover probably costs more than 1/2 the price of the TKL 9100.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:23 pm

As David says these are good covers but before I bought I'd want to see a pic of the SBM logo that's silk screened onto most of their cases in case it's too intrusive.
It may be small but then it might not be...

Alternatively, you could buy instead a Travelite case and use that in the winter. Cordura outer and the foam gives a god degree of temp protection and of course it's cheaper.
There is a video on YT comparing it to another (possibly a Gator) bu it'd give you a look at it.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

wechard

Post by wechard » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks for the replies. It looks like Colorado is a top contender. I'd probably order from them direct to avoid extra logos, and also to get a slightly more custom colour (not crazy about the silver). Cost isn't realy an issue ... at one point I was considering a BAM case so all of these options seem ridiculously affordable by comparison. I guess my one last question is whether anyone has encountered any drawbacks to watch out for in the Colorado cases. Is there any way in which the Small Dog or another alternative is clearly superior? Off the top is looks like the Colorado is what I'm looking for, but I thought I'd ask one more time if there are any gotchas. Thanks again.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:47 pm

wechard wrote:Thanks for the replies. It looks like Colorado is a top contender. I'd probably order from them direct to avoid extra logos, and also to get a slightly more custom colour (not crazy about the silver). Cost isn't realy an issue ... at one point I was considering a BAM case so all of these options seem ridiculously affordable by comparison. I guess my one last question is whether anyone has encountered any drawbacks to watch out for in the Colorado cases. Is there any way in which the Small Dog or another alternative is clearly superior? Off the top is looks like the Colorado is what I'm looking for, but I thought I'd ask one more time if there are any gotchas. Thanks again.
In that case, I recommend that you do the custom tracing. Trace your TKL case on a large sheet of Christmas wrapper. You also need to draw the profile of the case to take the archtop, the thickness of the case and the location of the handle into account. Your custom Colorado case cover will fit your TKL like a glove.

Alternatively, call Richard Brune (the famous luthier) of Illinois. He sells decent plywood classical guitar case with excellent built in cover, better than Colorado brand IMHO.

melliebird

Post by melliebird » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:07 pm

I have two case covers, the first one bought direct from Colorado Case and one from STM - Strings by Mail. I supplied a trace
of my TKL case and had Colorado Case make a black cover. The one bought from Strings by Mail (made by Colorado Case)
is navy, used for a TKL case. It is cheaper buying from Strings by Mail. There are no additional logos on the one bought from STM.
Both covers fit great. It just has the Strings by Mail logo instead of the Colorado Case logo. STM offers the colors silver, black, red, charcoal, and navy.
Personally I would recommend buying from STM to save some money.

brian

Post by brian » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:03 am

I have the silver colored Colorado case cover.
that thing has been around the world and has held up fine.
I assume it's done its job as I haven't had any humidity/temp
related damage. I would suggest being open to the lighter
colored covers. I never understood black cases and dark covers.
there's another case cover who's name I can't remember (help please)
that looks like aluminum foil. I'm a believer in light colored cases
and reflective at best and lighter color at worst covers.
iirc, the 'aluminum foil' cover had the best insulating specs.
something like small dog case covers maybe? I'm off to google it.
if at first you don't succeed try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

wechard

Post by wechard » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:11 pm

That's good to know ... I hadn't noticed that Strings By Mail offered a range of colours. I don't mind light colours in general, but silver in particular jars for some reason (an entirely personal thing). Anyway, thanks again to everyone who responded. I think I've got all the info I need at this point.

DanRock101

Post by DanRock101 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:47 am

Great thread, thanks for the info! Anyone else using Colorado Case Covers?
AER Compact 60, Mackie Freeplay
MacBookPro 9.1, MacPro1.1 & 3.1, Logic 9 & X, ProTools9, Finale 2014 & Encore 3.1
Metric Halo ULN8

Return to “Luthiers”