Jesus Marzal: real luthier, or a fictional factory name?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
petermc61

Re: Jesus Marzal: real luthier, or a fictional factory name?

Post by petermc61 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:20 pm

Thanks Eric. I'm convinced!

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Thank you, Eric, there's the answer as clear as we can hope for.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:31 pm

While on the subject of fictional names, I believe Cordoba guitars used the name, Rafael de Cordoba, on their top level guitars back in the day. Pretty amazing feat converting a dancer into a luthier.

Just looked in Jose Ramirez 3's book. This Jesus does not show up there.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

pholmes

Post by pholmes » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:50 am

I bought a '88 Jesus Marzal Gran Concierto from the now-defunct Guitar Shop in Washington, D.C. in 2009 for $6000. The label says it was made on May 12. Soon after I dropped in at Luthier Music in NYC and asked the owner what he knew about Marzal guitars. He told me that a German doctor had acted as a middle man selling the guitars in the U.S. and that he, the owner, found them "inconsistent".

In February of 2012 I personally went to the address indicated on the label of my guitar (Senia Ferrer 4 - Xeraco). The woman who answered the door said she was Jesus Marzal's sister and that he had made the guitars with her brother in the garage. When I asked whether I could talk to Jesus, she said he was in a home by the sea with dementia. I left as she didn't seem to want to talk further.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:59 am

Hello pholmes. Welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Thanks for this additional information, Pholmes.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

JohnH69

Post by JohnH69 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi,
I have just read the posts regarding Jesus Marzal. I purchased a student guitar made by him in 1981. It is a lovely instrument with lovely warm sound. I bought it from the Classical Guitar Centre in Nottingham, England. It was £500.00 then. I still have it. The guys at the classical guitar centre said he was apprenticed at Ramirez. I dont play much now as athritis affects my neck and shoulders, I now play piano which suits my physical circumstances better. I can still play for about 15 minutes but have enjoyed 35 years playing it, I hope one of my grandchildren will play it when they get old enough. Hope this helps.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon May 02, 2016 10:42 pm

Hi John, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Powerage71

Post by Powerage71 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:39 am

I'm a family of Jesus Marzal (it's my oncle). Jesus lives in a residence (80 years old aprox.) The authentic Luthier is Batiste Bofi my oncle too (Very active in Facebook). Jesus is married with one sister of Batiste. And work with Batiste (only varnishing the guitars). I think the name of this guitars is for legal or economically reasons. For more info about this guitars please contact with Batiste Bofí in Facebook or send me a private message. Batiste now works with guitars in his spare moments still.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:13 pm

Hello Powerage,

Glad that you could join us and thank you for your informative post.

To get a complete understanding of this forum including links to the rules and help files, it is highly recommended that you take a look at :arrow: New member greeting page. Once you have posted 2 messages, you can subscribe to the 002 group, which will give you access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels.

On another note, it's interesting and helpful to know where our members live so  please consider adding  your location by going to your username link at the top right corner and clicking on “User Control Panel.”

:merci: and enjoy your time with us.

Vito
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:01 pm

New guy here. I don't know if this is of any value or not, but I bought a new Jesus Marzal Concierto 2 from The Guitar Shop in DC back in the 80's. I was poorly informed then (not much has changed - see my "Introduce Myself" entry ). This was a long time ago but I am guessing that I paid somewhere in the $900 range - but that is a really wild guess. I have attached two pictures as I still own the guitar. I am quite honestly not experienced/knowledgeable enough to be able to provide an assessment of the quality of the instrument.

If anyone has an opinion I would be interested in a guess at the street value of such a guitar.

Thanks.

dave
Guitar.jpg
Label.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

rkguitar16

Post by rkguitar16 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:17 pm

Marzal.JPG
Very interesting thread here. I own a 1985 Jesus Marzal "Conservatorio" which I purchased in 2003 from Stephen Spellman at the Guitar Shop in Washington D.C. It is a Cedar top, Indian Rosewood back and sides, and has been a real workhorse for me over the last 13 years. It has a definite "Spanish" feel and sound, and I would not hesitate to compare it to a Rameriz 1a in craftsmanship. It's a lovely guitar and I got it for a steal at $4000.00. Needs some fret work now, but I plan to hold on to it for some time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:51 am

Since we have two consecutive posts referencing "The Guitar Shop" in Wasshington, DC - FWIW this place closed in 2011. See https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/mo ... story.html .

Surprisingly, they still have a (mostly) functional website, although things like inventory are empty.

http://www.theguitarshop.us/

dave

Daniel Marzal Bofi

Post by Daniel Marzal Bofi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Hola,buenas noches desde Xeraco (Valencia) e visto que estan debatiendo sobre si Jesus Marzal es real o ficticio,si era luthier o no,si solo era una marca,pues bien e de decirles que Jesus Marzal es mi padre,vive en Xeraco y durante muchos años el,Batiste Bofi (mi tio) y Bertrand Marti fueron los luthiers encargados de fabricar las Guitarras BMB
Ahora ya no fabrican guitarras,solo Batiste Bofi sigue por pasion haciendo alguna guitarra
Jesus Marzal (my father) tiene 82 años y esta pachucho
Espero haber despejado sus dudas y si desean mas info no duden en ponerse en contacto conmigo
Por cierto aun conservo alguna guitarra fabricada por mi padre
Jesus Marzal
Gracias y buenas noches

[mod translation]
Hello, good evening from Xeraco (Valencia). I saw that you were debating whether Jesus Marzal is real or fictitious, whether he was a luthier or not, or if he was just a brandname. Well I can tell you that Jesus Marzal is my father, has lived in Xeraco for many years, and he, with Batiste Bofi (my uncle) and Bertrand Marti, were the luthiers responsible for making the BMB Guitars
Now they no longer make guitars, only Batiste Bofi still makes some as a hobby.
Jesus Marzal (my father) is 82 and in poor health.
I hope I have cleared your doubts and if you want more info do not hesitate to contact me
By the way I still keep some guitars made by my father, Jesus Marzal.
Thank you and good night

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:42 pm

Daniel, thank you for posting this very helpful information.

dave

Return to “Luthiers”