Jesus Marzal: real luthier, or a fictional factory name?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
DaveLeeNC

Re: Jesus Marzal: real luthier, or a fictional factory name?

Post by DaveLeeNC » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:28 pm

I have some additional information to add to this thread (see description of my Marzal guitar 4 posts up from here).

The guitar needed new tuners, the bridge was beginning to lift, there was a small (but stable) crack that needed to be cleated, and the action was on the high side. I ended up shipping it to Dream Guitars (Asheville, NC) to resolve those issues. I noticed in the 'items sold' archive they listed 3 Marzal guitars (no prices). Since they has useful marketing information WRT Jesus Marzal instruments, I paid for a formal appraisal. The appraised value was $2995 (note that this is after repairs and adjustments).

FWIW.

dave
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

DaveLeeNC

Re: Jesus Marzal: real luthier, or a fictional factory name?

Post by DaveLeeNC » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Just thought that I would add to this thread with some (minor) additional information and a correction to an earlier statement.

1) I had an informal assessment of the Marzal done by an area guitarist. While (IMHO) he is steel string guy at heart, he has a degree in classical guitar from Vanderbilt and teaches classical guitar (and other styles). His assessment was that this is a pretty nice sounding guitar (to his ear) that can easily hold its own (sound statement) against used instruments in the $2k to $4K range. In mint condition he would price it at $3k to $3.5K. In its current condition (one repaired and stable, but obvious, top crack and a handful of small marks on the top that are very obvious on careful inspection), he would price it at $2.5K in his shop (where he doesn't regularly deal with high CG's).

2) My wife has a better memory than I have. Earlier I stated that the 1984 purchase price (from the now defunct Guitar Shoppe in Washington, DC) was a bit under $1K. My wife clearly remembers that it was somewhere in the low four figures.

Added just for completeness and accuracy as if you do a search on Jesus Marzal, this thread has about as much information as anything else out there. I would add that if you go to the Dream Guitars website and search on "Builders" using Marzal, there are playing examples on three different Marzal guitars.

dave
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

Return to “Luthiers”