Tobias Braun guitar making course 2016 Austria

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
simonm
Amateur luthier

Tobias Braun guitar making course 2016 Austria

Post by simonm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:54 am

I see Tobias is running his 4th Course (biennial) this year at Ottenschlag in Austria from July 31st - August 14th 2016.
Read all about it here: http://tobiasbraun-guitars.com/gitarrenbaukurs_en.php

It is run on an inclusive full board basis for two weeks in a castle (Schloss Ottenschlag) that is used as a school. It looks like a really nice place. Ottenschlag is quite a small town about 100 miles from Vienna. I asked him for details and got his info sheet.

To save time (and issues transporting wood around the place), he puts together a kit with the back and the top joined already and a prepared neck (details on his info sheet). For anyone bringing their own materials doing both those things in advance would be a good idea too. Some basic woodworking experience is needed and you need to bring you own tools.

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Re: Tobias Braun guitar making course 2016 Austria

Post by Chris Sobel » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:40 pm

Sounds fun!
CE Sobel Guitars

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:37 pm

Chris Sobel wrote:Sounds fun!
I am pretty sure that I will go to it. It depends a bit on my work situation here so I haven't fully committed to it yet but I have exchanged a few emails with Tobias already. I was very disappointed that I didn't find out about the last two Romanillas courses until after they took place. So this would be a way of linking into that tradition.

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:24 pm

simonm wrote:
Chris Sobel wrote:Sounds fun!
I am pretty sure that I will go to it. It depends a bit on my work situation here so I haven't fully committed to it yet but I have exchanged a few emails with Tobias already. I was very disappointed that I didn't find out about the last two Romanillas courses until after they took place. So this would be a way of linking into that tradition.
Do you have a contact email for him you could PM me, or forward the info sheet? I can't use the contact form on the webpage because of how my computer is set up...

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:34 pm

Sure. I will do both. I will email you at the contact address on your website (gmail). Check in a few minutes.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:03 pm

I was in contact with Tobias this week - he will be sending out more info shortly for the people who have signed up already. I didn't asked how many have signed up already - if anyone is interested you can contact him through the link in the first post.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:04 pm

Good luck for the course, Simon. I am sure you will enjoy it very much. Tobias is a highly experienced luthier and a very nice fellow too.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:51 pm

Getting closer to the big day. If anyone else is interested in this, there is still time to join - it is not completely full. In my case, the deposit is paid and my vacation time reserved. I hope to spend a night or two with a friend on route who conveniently lives about half way.

I had a nice chat with Tobias this afternoon and have lots to think about as a result. One option that came out of the discussion quite unexpectedly was doing a Romanillos style Cypress classical. I have a nice set of cypress and a super top to go with it and I have the Romanillos book with the plans. What makes this option extra interesting is that I may shortly be getting the opportunity to examine a genuine Romanillos instrument. Very tempting idea although it might be a bit more difficult to sell it later than the Hauser style that most people on the course build. Still have two months to think about it. I will prepare a few back and side sets of different kinds and decide a bit later on.

Happy days.

Santiago Vivó
Amateur luthier

Post by Santiago Vivó » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:06 am

Hello simonm. Sounds great! Maybe I can go in future calls , and also practice my German. Thanks for the information.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:44 am

Hi Santiago, Tobias has no problem with English and there is a good chance he speaks some Spanish too although I don't know. He help on the Jose Romanillos' courses a number of times. I occasionally visit Valencia, the Abastos district.

mqbernardo

Post by mqbernardo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:11 pm

Thanks for the heads up, sounds tempting!

Santiago Vivó
Amateur luthier

Post by Santiago Vivó » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:03 am

Hello simonm and thank you. During these days I 'm traveling with my family. Let me know the next time you come to Valencia , maybe we can play guitars and drink a few beers.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:39 pm

The big day is approaching. I will be heading out in the early hours of Sunday for the big new adventure. Really looking forward to it.

mqbernardo

Post by mqbernardo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:22 pm

godspeed!

Leo Apray

Post by Leo Apray » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:42 am

Have fun Simon.
And don't forget to take a lot of pictures for us :D

Return to “Luthiers”