Dowland, John - Tremolo Fancy

Audio and video recordings of the works of John Dowland.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Dowland, John - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06 Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Michael Butten

Re: Dowland, John - Tremolo Fancy

Post by Michael Butten » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:55 pm

Thank very much for the kind comments everybody! I play the tremolo in this p-i-m-i, a proper lutenist would do p-i-p-i but the sound of the thumbnail on a top string on the guitar isn't very consistent. As a general rule of thumb I play all the scales m-i-m-i to get a similar to the lute sort of accent on them. And tablature is definitely the way to go as far as I'm concerned with this music, pretty obvious what the fingering should be when you see where it is played on the lute. I'm planning on doing a proper recording of Dowland works within the next year, absolutely beautiful music that can get slaughtered by guitarists playing it without a real renaissance feel, quite show-offy rather than what the music is really about. I'll keep you all updated as to how it goes!
www.michaelbutten.co.uk

Michael Butten

Post by Michael Butten » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:07 pm

johnny00 wrote:nice playing, I'm learning it now and found a transcription in key of E though or did you just use a capo?
That will work, as long as you use f# tuning for the 3rd string. I use a capo on the 2nd fret. I would recommend using the original lute tablature or the the Diana Poulton collection. Doesn't take long to learn the system and you can learn pieces very quickly when you are used to it. It also shows what positions and strings the composer would have used so it takes any doubt out of the equation. I occasionally deviate from the tablature to play things on different strings, but not for colour reasons, more for ease of performance, where the lute version has a very strange, fast shift in or a horrible stretch. The tab is definitely a good place to start though.
www.michaelbutten.co.uk

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Post by MartinCogg » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:50 pm

pogmoor wrote: During the 17th century a 'thumb-out' technique developed which became much more the norm for baroque lute players - and in fact I have seen it suggested that Dowland was on the cusp of this development and may have changed his technique as he got older. However I'm not sure what the evidence is for this!
I bumped into the topic of thumb in/out today in an article in Lute Society's Lute News #64, which in turn refers to an article in
the American Lute Society's Journal # xii with translation of reference to John Dowland starting 'thumb-under' then switching to
'thumb-out' which occurs in the (it says 'so-called', I know not why) 'Johann Strobaeus Manuscript' whilst it is declaring several
famous players of the time who use 'thumb-out' technique.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:25 pm

MartinCogg wrote:I bumped into the topic of thumb in/out today in an article in Lute Society's Lute News #64, which in turn refers to an article in
the American Lute Society's Journal # xii with translation of reference to John Dowland starting 'thumb-under' then switching to
'thumb-out' which occurs in the (it says 'so-called', I know not why) 'Johann Strobaeus Manuscript' whilst it is declaring several
famous players of the time who use 'thumb-out' technique.
Thanks, Martin, for reminding me where I had seen the comment about Dowland. I read Michael Lowe's Lute News article that mentioned Dowland's change of technique when it first came out, but over the years I'd forgotten where the information came from. That's old age for you :roll:
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Lovely! I enjoyed every second. Great performance! :merci: :bravo: :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Mogenson

Post by Mogenson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:19 am

This is beautifully played! It's a really unique and interesting piece too. I liked it so much I had to listen to it twice!
Where can I get the tablature for this?

impphil

Post by impphil » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Loved it.

Figolo

Post by Figolo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:06 pm

Great sound and technique

Return to “Our recordings of John Dowland”