Dowland, John - King of Denmark, His Galliard - D08

Audio and video recordings of the works of John Dowland.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Dowland, John - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Dowland, John - My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe - D06 Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Bertran

Dowland, John - King of Denmark, His Galliard - D08

Post by Bertran » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Main thing that make me surprise when I started with this piece is that I must low down 6th-string down more than D !, more than C !! - right to B !!!.
Combined with lower 3th-string to F#, gives a good reason to be lazy and don't do that tunning every day. :)
But second surprise is that this piece is another one Dowland beauty; I hope you like it.

Bertran II
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SteveM

Re: Dowland, John - King of Denmark, His Galliard - D08

Post by SteveM » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:03 am

Well played Bertran, you build up the intensity nicely throughout the piece. I play this one on my 8 course lute so no retuning required for me.
Thanks,
Steve

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Thank you SteveM for your kind words.

I have also version with 6th E-bass downgraded to D and one shorter version (from Noad's Rennaisance book) that don't need any retuning at all.
But when I saw this one, with 6th-string downgraded to B - it launched my curiosity for playing and interest how it can sound.

Bertran II

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi Bertrand,

Only now I became aware of your very beautiful recording of this fantastic piece. You have a very mature and beautiful sound and phrasing and I really want to give you my congratulations for it. :casque:

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:04 pm

Thank you Christian so much.
After more than two months I almost forgot for my upload.
At one moment even think to delete it but now I know that it is worth to wait. :merci:

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi Bertrand,

sometimes the forum is so busy in changing active topics that it can become necessary to self respond your post or thread to bring it on the top of the list again. You can post a picture of your cat or of your guitar or what you wish or just say: hey can't be so bad or is it? Most members do just check the active topics only and once your post is on the second or on the third page nobody will care about it.

There is such a hassle about luthiers, guitars, and cafe threads that it can become difficult for recording threads to get the correct attention. If you look carefully you can see that even recording threads of very high standard players get often very little attention and this is a pity of course. The good news is that this is also a sign that we have a very active forum with a big diversity of interests and members.

Stay around and post your comments on other members recordings and you will help them to get the same attention as you would wish for yourself. We should be good contributors but also good listeners and not shy in posting our comments on other contributions and then the forum is nice for most of us. :)

cliffbryant

Post by cliffbryant » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:28 pm

Bertran,

I've often heard this piece played with a bit quicker tempo. I like the pace you've chosen however - it seems to work very well!
Nicely done!

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:14 am

Hi Christian,

I am completly agree with you; sometimes responds for our recording didn't come but I think that this theme deserve special thread for itself.
Before some years we were much more open for comments and maybe it's time to think about causes and new ideas.
Also I have no problem if someone criticizes my recording; all of you are my only audience and every observed imperfection or failure I accept like advice that can help me to play better.
However, I don't want to send "reminder"; sometime silence is an answer, too. :)
Thank you for your thinking.

Hi cliffbryant,
Yes, this is a little bit slower version. To be honest, I practice and retuning :) this piece 5,6 months before recording and there are some demanding passages which made me sweat. Specially last measures are challenging for both hands.
You have right, to be quicker I must build new months.

Thank you for your thanks and comments!

Bertran II

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi Bertran,
the lute is tuned a minor 3rd higher than the guitar & the 8th course is tuned to D. This is then relatively the same as a guitar with the low string to B.
My lute version video is on here somewhere if you'd like to have a look,
All the best,
Steve

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:30 am

Bertran wrote:Hi Christian,

I am completly agree with you; sometimes responds for our recording didn't come but I think that this theme deserve special thread for itself.
Before some years we were much more open for comments and maybe it's time to think about causes and new ideas.
Also I have no problem if someone criticizes my recording; all of you are my only audience and every observed imperfection or failure I accept like advice that can help me to play better.
However, I don't want to send "reminder"; sometime silence is an answer, too. :)
Thank you for your thinking.

Bertran II
Hi Bertrand,

I have opened now an ironic topic to make members aware that most time we are just fooling around instead of paying attention to topics with recordings like yours. You have to read the topic carefully if not you will not understand. It is a stupid and ironic story which ends in the link to our conversation on this recording thread. I have also posted recordings, and only with repeated reminders I get some attention to it. On the other hand I started about a year ago another philosophical topic about money and work and most members refuse to contribute to the discussion as they rather prefer to fool around with threads like "the most hated expressions" or Belluci guitars. The Torres trade secret thread is my vengeance for it: You want stupid? you can have it. Keep on posting your recordings and reply to those of others! :)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=98378

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi Christian,

What to say :) Your idea for redirection using belly button as decoy make my day. Of course, I don't expect that things gonna be changed just like that but you show your point.
Yes, maybe we sometime like to fooling around too much, maybe summer make us lazy,...
Maybe there are other reasons that we can try to uncover. I think that I will do at days to come,...

Hi SteveM,

What a simple answer that explain so much! All of the time I was asking myself where is a motivation for unusual retuning. After your last post everything is clear.
As you can guess now, I have never play lute and of course I listen your recording of this wonderful piece. You play it very good, indeed.
I don't know what can I do if somebody push a lute in my hand but when I watching your recordings it seems to me that it brings new kind of passion to you (and others lute players).

Bertran II

Ismael González Haro

Post by Ismael González Haro » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:21 am

Thanks for the performance of this version of the piece. I have recently downloaded it, indeed it is amazing the tuning of the 6th string.

The performance is really good well played, the only piece of advice could be to increase the speed.

:bravo: :casque:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/LICORPOLLO
---
Admira Juanita
Marizápalos 2015 Pino-Abeto (Luthier: Ángel Benito Aguado)

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Thank you Ismael,

I am agree with you about speed; I have already answer cliffbryant why I slow it down.
I am sure that you will find this piece attractive as much as I do.
My guitar is also from your town (T.Perez), say "hello" when you saw him! :)

Bertran II

Return to “Our recordings of John Dowland”