Sanz, Gaspar - Españoleta Am - D05 Updated

Audio and video recordings of the works of Gaspar Sanz.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sanz, Gaspar - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sanz, Gaspar - Pavanas por la D - Baroque Guitar D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
lagartija

Sanz, Gaspar - Españoleta Am - D05 Updated

Post by lagartija » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:29 pm

UPDATED!
I have now uploaded an updated version of this piece. Unlike the old version, this one was played on my Alan H. Chapman guitar. I recorded it with my ZoomH4n with the recorder placed 71" away and 55" high. I still like playing it double dotted. :wink:
Españoleta-4-22-12.mp3

This piece is played on my "old faithful friend", my plywood Giannini guitar (1968 vintage). When I played this for my teacher, he told me I was "double dotting" it..... and that is NOT what is on the page. :contrat: So I have reworked the piece and can now play it as written.... but I have not yet recorded that version.
Actually, I kind of like the double-dot feel..... seems more like a flowing dance to me that way. :D But.... that is why you have a teacher; so you don't do that sort of thing unintentionally. :lol:
I notice in this performance, that when I am not sure I'm going to play a note cleanly, that I hesitate. I can hear that distinctly in several places in this performance. :oops: That is another thing I have to fix; just play and don't wreck the timing because you are afraid of making a buzz or mistake. :roll:

The H4N recorder was placed on a chair 45 degrees off the center line, but very close.... as close as I could get it. I used Audacity to trim the rustling at either end, but nothing else was done to the recording.

Anything else that you can point out to me besides what is noted above, is appreciated.
Thank you for listening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

pogmoor

Re: Sanz, Gaspar - Españoleta - D03

Post by pogmoor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Nice tone: the recording setup seems to work well. The piece flows well apart from the hesitations you've already noticed, and I like your trills. They are coming across well and they are the right sort of trill in the right places! Sanz is interesting stylistically - by the time he was active French music would definitely have been double dotted and German to some extent, but Spain was a bit out on a limb and musicians there may have followed earlier habits (they did with trills). Nevertheless I don't think double dotting is out of the question - maybe you can carry on with it when you are out of your teacher's earshot :)
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:08 pm

Thank you, Eric. :merci: :D When I play it for him, I'll play it straight..... and when I play it for myself, I'll just go ahead and feel justified in double dotting it! :lol:
__/^^^^^o>

owl

Post by owl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:56 am

Really nice... I love the way you play this Sanz piece and I completely agree with Eric... trills are good and played where they sound appropriate

Double dot away I say :lol:

Thanks for posting... I enjoyed your playing :casque:

Joy in the music

Owl
I forgot to say, for a comparative newbie it's quite impressive :mrgreen:
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:41 am

I agree with Eric :
I don't think double dotting is out of the question
And perhaps I will suggest to breathe a little bit between the phrases.
Anyway nice job !
Val
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Thank you, Owl and Val. :D Looks like double dotting gets another two votes! :mrgreen:
The lack of breath between the phrases is a function of "red button" nervousness.... I am playing more carefully (note-wise) than normal and thus the hesitation, and yet when the red button is pushed, I'm feeling like I'm taking too long and rushing my phrasing. :roll:

Since this recording was made (November), I have been working on both of these issues. I've come to the conclusion that the Zoom H4N was a really good investment in my musical development; it lets you hear what you are really playing and allows you to work on performance aspects like effects of performance anxiety on your phrasing.
__/^^^^^o>

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:02 pm

So now we will have a new recording ? ;-)
I love this piece. ( I'll have a baroque guitar again soon and will play some Sanz :D )
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Yes, Val, I will work on a new recording!
:mrgreen:
I knew from reading many of your posts on lutes and lute playing that you are one of the forum's early music experts, Val and I greatly appreciate your comments about my performance. What I did not know :oops: (much to my embarrassment) was that Eric also specialized in early music. :shock: I just looked at his website for the first time. That makes all of the compliments about my trills given to me by you, Eric and Owl all the more humbling.... I am so glad that you liked them. :merci: :merci:

And all the more reason to double dot! :lol:
__/^^^^^o>

lagartija

Re: Sanz, Gaspar - Españoleta - D03-Updated

Post by lagartija » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:01 pm

This is an updated version of the piece. :D There appear to be fewer hesitations than in the previous version, so some progress is being made. :bye:
__/^^^^^o>

Cary W

Re: Sanz, Gaspar - Españoleta - Am- D03-Updated

Post by Cary W » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:20 am

This is coming along nicely! :bravo: You are brave to let us chart your progress. :)

Cheers,
Cary
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

lagartija

Re: Sanz, Gaspar - Españoleta - Am- D03-Updated

Post by lagartija » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:03 am

To tell the truth, Cary, I almost restored the older one. :| Sometimes my courage falters.... the more I listen to myself the more flaws I hear. It is my hope that others who are starting out on this journey will know that they have company. Few of us sound like John Williams, Bream, and all of the other perfect recorded performances to which we listen and compare ourselves. :chaud: I liked my tone in the other recording better, but the flow was better in this one. There is always something to improve. :wink: Well... this is what three years of playing sounds like! :lol:
__/^^^^^o>

Philip.Lawson

Re: Sanz, Gaspar - Españoleta Am- D05 Updated

Post by Philip.Lawson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:27 pm

For only three years of playing you have a wonderful sound, and really clear phrasing!
There's always going to be something to improve, but overall that was really well played.

Personally, I think that all you need is a little more practice time to give you the confidence you need to really go for it with this piece :)
I wish I had sounded that good with three years under my belt............... you have achieved a really high quality of playing within that space of time. Bravo!

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:23 pm

Thank you, Philip, that is really kind of you to say. :D My teacher always says that when I just "go for it" and don't worry about what I'm hearing is when I play the best. When I am listening and evaluating (and judging!) I tend to hesitate more. So you are right, that more practice and greater confidence may solve some of these problems.
I'll keep working on it. :wink:
__/^^^^^o>

boooom

Post by boooom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:55 pm

nice work
thanks for sharing
"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication..."
- Da Vinci

lagartija