Sanz, Gaspar - Españoleta - D03

Audio and video recordings of the works of Gaspar Sanz.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sanz, Gaspar - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sanz, Gaspar - Pavanas por la D - Baroque Guitar D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
David McHarg

Sanz, Gaspar - Españoleta - D03

Post by David McHarg » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi,

This is a recording of a small piece called Españoleta by Gaspar Sanz. I played it through twice at different tempos since its such a short little piece and i think its nice at different tempos. Recorded with the Edirol R09HR & Rohan Lowe guitar. The edirol was placed about 18 inches away from the guitar pointing at about 12th fret.

A recent pic from perthshire here in sunny Scotland !.
IMG_7984.jpg
Espanoleta.mp3
Hope you enjoy.

Regards
David.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rojarosguitar

Re: Sanz, Gaspar - Españoleta - D03

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Very nice, David!

I always find it a bit difficult to understand Sanz, but you seem to have an approach that works...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

kefka

Post by kefka » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:38 pm

I like how you decided to play the second round a bit slower. Nice touch! You play this little tune really good.

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:26 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:Very nice, David!

I always find it a bit difficult to understand Sanz, but you seem to have an approach that works...
I always thought it was just me! I have the same problem with Sanz - the tunes just never quite make sense to me. Then I hear a nice recording like this and I wonder what is wrong with me. They tend to be such nice pieces when played as well as David plays them.

Ken
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

petr

Post by petr » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:17 pm

Nice interpretation.
:bravo:
Petr

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:16 am

:bravo:
This certainly is one of my favorite pieces and I like the way that you interpreted it.
I think one of the greatest things about all of the recording here on the forum is that I get to hear pieces played that inspire me to work harder and give some of them a try myself.
Thank you.
:merci:

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 am

:applauso:

I like both versions. :D
The first feels more like a dance (which is what it is), and the second, although a bit slower did not lose that feel.
Kenbobpdx wrote:
rojarosguitar wrote:Very nice, David!

I always thought it was just me! I have the same problem with Sanz - the tunes just never quite make sense to me. Then I hear a nice recording like this and I wonder what is wrong with me. They tend to be such nice pieces when played as well as David plays them.

Ken
When I first tried to learn three Sanz pieces, I too noticed that the melody and rhythm did not follow my expectations. I found them difficult to memorize. Then, after my teacher explained that they were all dances and that music at that time was mostly for dancing, I found some resources on line that showed some of these dances performed by dancers dressed in period dress. It gave me a context for the changes in rhythm that I found puzzling and it helped to imagine the people dancing when I played. Since then, I feel I understand the music of the time much better. It has aided in my interpretation of the pieces.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:07 am

I like the expression on the slow one. If you like Españoleta I recommend the rest of the suite (Suite Españoleta). It's got a lot of little pieces that are built around similar themes. It's a lot of fun... Most of it's pretty easy...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “Our recordings of Gaspar Sanz”