Sanz, Gaspar - Españoletas - D03

Audio and video recordings of the works of Gaspar Sanz.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sanz, Gaspar - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sanz, Gaspar - Pavanas por la D - Baroque Guitar D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
llebron

Sanz, Gaspar - Españoletas - D03

Postby llebron » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Here's a recording I made a while back of Españoletas. A few mistakes here and there. Constructive criticism welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luis R. Lebron

Aucaman

Re: Sanz, Gaspar - Españoletas - D03

Postby Aucaman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Nice work, Luis! :)

You must obviously have heard other players performing this beautiful piece by Sanz. You're tackling so many different things at the same time here, that you may consider putting the embellishments on the shelf for a while so that you can concentrate on the melody and the bass line.
Here are my suggestions for you to take your performance to the next level.
1.- Sing the main melody and notice how it flows when you do that. Then try to get the same flow playing it without any embellishments, and without the bass line. You can, of course, put them all back later; but get a nice flow for the main melody first.
2.- Play it much more slowly first and make sure you keep the same beat (metronome?) from beginning to end.
3.- Make “a loop” in the difficult sections and play only those notes repeating them in beat in a circle (a loop). VERY SLOWLY first and gradually increasing speed. For example, in your case, make the loop with measures 5 & 6. Here you’ll practice the jump in the melody from E (open 1st string) to A (1st string, fret 5) and also the jump on the bass from C (5th string, fret 3) to F (4th string, fret 3). Make sure those two bass notes last the entire measure.

Keep on making beautiful music, Luis! :bye:

llebron

Re: Sanz, Gaspar - Españoletas - D03

Postby llebron » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Aucaman wrote:Nice work, Luis! :)

You must obviously have heard other players performing this beautiful piece by Sanz. You're tackling so many different things at the same time here, that you may consider putting the embellishments on the shelf for a while so that you can concentrate on the melody and the bass line.
Here are my suggestions for you to take your performance to the next level.
1.- Sing the main melody and notice how it flows when you do that. Then try to get the same flow playing it without any embellishments, and without the bass line. You can, of course, put them all back later; but get a nice flow for the main melody first.
2.- Play it much more slowly first and make sure you keep the same beat (metronome?) from beginning to end.
3.- Make “a loop” in the difficult sections and play only those notes repeating them in beat in a circle (a loop). VERY SLOWLY first and gradually increasing speed. For example, in your case, make the loop with measures 5 & 6. Here you’ll practice the jump in the melody from E (open 1st string) to A (1st string, fret 5) and also the jump on the bass from C (5th string, fret 3) to F (4th string, fret 3). Make sure those two bass notes last the entire measure.

Keep on making beautiful music, Luis! :bye:

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. I will use your suggestions when I start working on this piece again.
Luis R. Lebron

Return to “Our recordings of Gaspar Sanz”