Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09 Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Sylvius Leopold Weiss.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Weiss, S. L. - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08 Baroque Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
User avatar
lucy
Posts: 1765
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:33 pm
Location: England

Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09 Video

Post by lucy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi All

My first upload for a while. Been practicing a lot. Am interested in what you think.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.


Youtube
Last edited by lucy on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Jack Douglas
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 am
Location: Ashland, Va

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks, Lucy. I enjoyed that. Nice guitar too!!
Hauser III 2014!

Kenbobpdx
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:14 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09

Post by Kenbobpdx » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:26 pm

You gotta love Weiss! Brilliant composer.

Quite well done with your playing. A few challenges when it transitions sections but those should smooth out in time. Its a tough piece that needs to keep motoring along. My favorite recording of this is by andi33x here on the forum. You might want to give his recording a listen for ideas on phrasing and making the transitions between sections in a way to really move the piece along.

Thanks so much for sharing this. Whenever I here someone play it I aways tell myself to go back and resurrect it from the ash heap of pieces played but discarded over the years. My memory isn't what it once was so these big, complex pieces are harder to bring back but thats what sightreading is for.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 1765
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:33 pm
Location: England

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09

Post by lucy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:52 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:Nice guitar too!!
Thanks for listening Jack. Yes, it does have a nice sound. What more could I want!
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 1765
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:33 pm
Location: England

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09

Post by lucy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks for listening Ken.
Kenbobpdx wrote:A few challenges when it transitions sections but those should smooth out in time. Its a tough piece that needs to keep motoring along. My favorite recording of this is by andi33x here on the forum. You might want to give his recording a listen for ideas on phrasing and making the transitions between sections in a way to really move the piece along.
Thanks for your comments, but there's no technical reason for the slight breaths I'm taking between variations. Perhaps, these breaths are slightly long, but they were intentional. I'll consider how to make the sections flow into each other better. I probably just need to be begin each one a bit earlier.

I have heard Andreas recording, but to be honest, I disagree with the way he approached it. That said, I love most of what else he plays. For me, I feel his rubato is excessive. I know this rubato is entirely intentional, but it's just not how I hear the piece. I actually find it flows less well, because of the rubato! Funny how people hear things differently. By the way, that's absolutely no criticism of Andreas' musicianship. I know he's an excellent player. It's just I play this piece very differently.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

User avatar
spanishguitarmusic
Posts: 1203
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Hi Lucy, you played this very well and it sounded really good! Very nice looking guitar too! Keep it up and looking forward to more videos! Thank you.

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 1765
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:33 pm
Location: England

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09 VIDEO

Post by lucy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:24 pm

Thank you spanishguitarmusic. :)

Great user name by the way. :casque:
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

User avatar
Luuttuaja
Posts: 778
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:35 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09 VIDEO

Post by Luuttuaja » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:02 am

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it!

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 904
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09 Video

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:15 am

I really liked that piece. I had never heard it before. See, the beautiful things one learns by hanging out on this forum. I love the tone. What kind of guitar are you using? I know that the tone doesn't just come from the guitar, I know it has a lot to do with the player's touch. I know this because I've played many high dollar guitars, and I still sound like myself-for better or worse. But, when I listen to your videos with my headphones, the sound is very natural to me. I am a gear head in the end, the way some guys are about cars, I am about guitars lol. Oh, also what strings?

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 1765
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:33 pm
Location: England

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09 Video

Post by lucy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks for listening! :)
Laudiesdad69 wrote:I really liked that piece. I had never heard it before. See, the beautiful things one learns by hanging out on this forum. I love the tone. What kind of guitar are you using? I know that the tone doesn't just come from the guitar, I know it has a lot to do with the player's touch. I know this because I've played many high dollar guitars, and I still sound like myself-for better or worse. But, when I listen to your videos with my headphones, the sound is very natural to me. I am a gear head in the end, the way some guys are about cars, I am about guitars lol. Oh, also what strings?
Thanks for these comments! I try hard to create a good sound.

My guitar is made by the English luthier Christopher Dean and the strings are D'Addario EJ45C. In my older videos I'm playing an Antonio Picado guitar with Savarez strings on. In quite a few videos, I'm using the Corum basses.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

therebelartist
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:28 am
Location: Oxford UK

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09 Video

Post by therebelartist » Sun May 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi Lucy,

A very lovely piece and beautifully played. Really enjoyed it. Your Christopher Dean guitar has a very beautiful tone, I especially like the bass and together you make a perfect partnership.
Keep uploading these great video performances for us all to enjoy. :)
:bravo: :merci:
1965 Condal - Classical 650mm (sold)
1972 Martin Fleeson (sold)
2014 Lester Backshall - Recital 1B - 640mm

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 1765
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:33 pm
Location: England

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09 Video

Post by lucy » Fri May 26, 2017 5:48 pm

therebelartist wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 3:09 pm
Hi Lucy,

A very lovely piece and beautifully played. Really enjoyed it. Your Christopher Dean guitar has a very beautiful tone, I especially like the bass and together you make a perfect partnership.
Keep uploading these great video performances for us all to enjoy. :)
:bravo: :merci:
Thanks so much for these comments. I appreciate it. :)
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

User avatar
sparkle
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:15 am
Location: JiangSu,China

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Passacaglia - D09 Video

Post by sparkle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:33 am

Hello Lucy,
:bravo: You played so beautiful!About 2005,when I first listened the CD of <S.L. Weiss The London Manuscript>(played by Michel Cardin),I can't hlep love these beautiful melodies.Weiss's pieces are hard to play ,but they always inspair me to practice more,I hope I can conqour one or two pieces one day! :D
Sincerely, Chen

Return to “Our recordings of S. L. Weiss”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 10 guests