Weiss, S. L. - Tombeau Sur La Mort de M.Comte de Logy

Audio and video recordings of the works of Sylvius Leopold Weiss.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Weiss, S. L. - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08 Baroque Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
rojarosguitar

Weiss, S. L. - Tombeau Sur La Mort de M.Comte de Logy

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:44 pm

This is my rendition of the beautiful 'Tombeau sur la mort de M. Comte de Logy' written by S.L.Weiss for lute in B-minor based on the transcript for classical guitar in D-minor by Karl Scheit.

Guitar: Alexandru Marian 2013
Recorded on Tascam DR-680

Youtube

Best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

pogmoor

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Tombeau Sur La Mort de M.Comte de Logy

Post by pogmoor » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:32 pm

One of my favourite pieces, and I've not heard the Scheit D minor arrangement played before - nicely done, and very effective :)
The only thing I am uncertain about is the tempo. I've always enjoyed listening to Bream's recording and I think he takes it about 10 bpm slower than you do.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

rojarosguitar

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Tombau Sur La Mort de M.Comte de Logy

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for your comment. I don't go about the tempo in an academic way. I play the pieces for quite a while and a certain tempo emerges and stabilizes itself as the tempo that feels right to me. I kind of feel it like that. Of course the actual way I play it could be different from day to day a bit.

The theme of this piece seems to be about time and in the connection between time and dying there is a certain feeling of urgency that comes through to me in this piece.

I know most people play it slower.

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:43 pm

:bravo:

Very nicely played with lovely tone. By chance I was looking at the score just this afternoon and decided I am not ready to tackle it for now. Your recording convinces me I should do at some stage.

As for the tempo, it sounded fine as it was, but I would probably play it a little slower.

Thanks for posting it.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:27 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:...in the connection between time and dying there is a certain feeling of urgency that comes through to me in this piece...
That's a very interesting point; I hadn't thought of it before!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

wapolo

Post by wapolo » Sat May 24, 2014 11:55 pm

George Crocket wrote::bravo:

Very nicely played with lovely tone. By chance I was looking at the score just this afternoon and decided I am not ready to tackle it for now. Your recording convinces me I should do at some stage.

As for the tempo, it sounded fine as it was, but I would probably play it a little slower.

Thanks for posting it.
Hi George,

I would strongly encourage you to try tackling this piece as there isn't too much in the way of technical hurdles and it's very satisfying to play. I've had this piece in my repertoire since I was 14 and never seem to tire of it.

Wilson

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Fri May 26, 2017 11:26 am

Great playing, thanks for sharing! I am on working on this piece right now (D-minor, Karl Scheit) and your recording helps a lot!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun May 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for your kinf words. I was using the Karl Scheit arrangement, too, and I think it's vseryeffektive for this piece.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun May 28, 2017 11:15 pm

Very nice performance of this rendition! I really liked it, thank you for uploading!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon May 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Return to “Our recordings of S. L. Weiss”