Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Sylvius Leopold Weiss.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Weiss, S. L. - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08 Baroque Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
User avatar
Alain Cloutier
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Puvirnituq Canada

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - Video

Post by Alain Cloutier » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:12 pm

Rodolfo Menegassi wrote:ll
??

wchymeus
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:49 am

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - Video

Post by wchymeus » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:42 am

Alain Cloutier wrote:
Rodolfo Menegassi wrote:ll
??
I can translate for you, it's a sort of ultra-modern tabs, definitely post-baroque era :mrgreen: It means awesome interpretation and I want more :lol:
Well done, thank you very much for this musical moment!
:casque: :bravo:
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

User avatar
Alain Cloutier
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Puvirnituq Canada

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - Video

Post by Alain Cloutier » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:58 pm

wchymeus wrote:
Alain Cloutier wrote:
Rodolfo Menegassi wrote:ll
??
I can translate for you, it's a sort of ultra-modern tabs, definitely post-baroque era :mrgreen: It means awesome interpretation and I want more :lol:
Well done, thank you very much for this musical moment!
:casque: :bravo:
:lol: :lol: :merci:

User avatar
Feynman
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:51 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by Feynman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:14 pm

That Sarabande gets me every time. I revisit your videos often. Keep making them.
-mitch

User avatar
Alain Cloutier
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Puvirnituq Canada

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by Alain Cloutier » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Feynman wrote:That Sarabande gets me every time. I revisit your videos often. Keep making them.
:merci: :merci: I should finish to record SW-21 pretty soon. Only the two easiest movements, the Bourrée and the Menuet, are missing.

It's always great to receive your comments. :bye:

User avatar
spanishguitarmusic
Posts: 1094
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:02 am

Wow very nice and interesting guitar and wonderful playing of these pieces! :merci:

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 1971
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:52 am

Congratulations, Alain. You play well, and it's wonderful to be able to read directly from the tabs. As far as playing Weiss on the guitar, it is the only way to go. I have never enjoyed Weiss on six strings. I have played lutes for twenty years, including 13 and 12, and 11c instruments, so know well the problems of playing double courses - so many strings! I must say, the Dresden is tempting. However (and I'm sure you will readily disagree) the bass register of the Dresden reminds me of the kind of baroque lutes that were made in the 1970s/80s, when people used very long-sustaining strings which overpowered the trebles. It also sounds closer in some ways to a large theorbo. Today, players use much shorter-sustaining strings, and the upper octave pair brings a lightness to the bass register, so much so, no damping is necessary. There has been a lot of research into bass strings in the last few years, not least by Mimmo Perufo of Aquila. In short, I feel the strings on the Dresden are too powerful, sustain too long, and set up a lot of unnecessary overtones - none of which occur on a well set up modern baroque lute. So, I'm wondering if you are interested in trying different bass strings? Perhaps even gut or silk-core wound strings that lute players use. I used to like old Kurschner basses.
None of this should take away from how impressive the Dresden is, and your playing on it!

User avatar
Alain Cloutier
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Puvirnituq Canada

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by Alain Cloutier » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:54 pm

spanishguitarmusic wrote:Wow very nice and interesting guitar and wonderful playing of these pieces! :merci:
:merci: :merci: :bye:

soltirefa
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by soltirefa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:13 pm

I just realized that this Allemande played by Sterling Price on his modified cheap 6-string guitar into a 13-string is the same one you play. Interesting to compare the tone.

https://youtu.be/jycedG5H2vM

User avatar
Alain Cloutier
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Puvirnituq Canada

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by Alain Cloutier » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:43 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:Congratulations, Alain. You play well, and it's wonderful to be able to read directly from the tabs. As far as playing Weiss on the guitar, it is the only way to go. I have never enjoyed Weiss on six strings. I have played lutes for twenty years, including 13 and 12, and 11c instruments, so know well the problems of playing double courses - so many strings! I must say, the Dresden is tempting. However (and I'm sure you will readily disagree) the bass register of the Dresden reminds me of the kind of baroque lutes that were made in the 1970s/80s, when people used very long-sustaining strings which overpowered the trebles. It also sounds closer in some ways to a large theorbo. Today, players use much shorter-sustaining strings, and the upper octave pair brings a lightness to the bass register, so much so, no damping is necessary. There has been a lot of research into bass strings in the last few years, not least by Mimmo Perufo of Aquila. In short, I feel the strings on the Dresden are too powerful, sustain too long, and set up a lot of unnecessary overtones - none of which occur on a well set up modern baroque lute. So, I'm wondering if you are interested in trying different bass strings? Perhaps even gut or silk-core wound strings that lute players use. I used to like old Kurschner basses.
None of this should take away from how impressive the Dresden is, and your playing on it!
soltirefa wrote:I just realized that this Allemande played by Sterling Price on his modified cheap 6-string guitar into a 13-string is the same one you play. Interesting to compare the tone.

https://youtu.be/jycedG5H2vM
Thanks Glen, that's interesting to compare of course.

I'm sure Rob that you prefer the basses on Sterling guitar, they are far less powerful. For me I'm not so sure. I like strong basses and I don't care having to do some damping. I certainly don't try to emulate the lute sound. I would just buy myself a lute!

On the other hand thanks for the idea. I will for sure try other strings strarting with the Aquilas.

Maybe I'll post a video with comparisons! :merci: :bye:

soltirefa
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by soltirefa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:25 pm

I will be honest, there are some things about the Sterling cheapo guitar that sound better to me, but at times it does sound a bit out of tune. But yes, there is something about it that is more compelling to listen to. I kind of agree with Rob, but I'm not sure it's the Dresden that turns me off or if it's your recording set up, maybe even the room you record in. I have listened to other recordings of the Dresden that don't sound so overly-ringing and engage my brain more ... pull me in. I find your ability to learn so many pieces and play them virtually without mistakes astonishing, but many times I find myself wanting to stop listening part way through because the tone turns me off.

User avatar
Alain Cloutier
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Puvirnituq Canada

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by Alain Cloutier » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:39 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:Congratulations, Alain. You play well, and it's wonderful to be able to read directly from the tabs. As far as playing Weiss on the guitar, it is the only way to go. I have never enjoyed Weiss on six strings. I have played lutes for twenty years, including 13 and 12, and 11c instruments, so know well the problems of playing double courses - so many strings! I must say, the Dresden is tempting. However (and I'm sure you will readily disagree) the bass register of the Dresden reminds me of the kind of baroque lutes that were made in the 1970s/80s, when people used very long-sustaining strings which overpowered the trebles. It also sounds closer in some ways to a large theorbo. Today, players use much shorter-sustaining strings, and the upper octave pair brings a lightness to the bass register, so much so, no damping is necessary. There has been a lot of research into bass strings in the last few years, not least by Mimmo Perufo of Aquila. In short, I feel the strings on the Dresden are too powerful, sustain too long, and set up a lot of unnecessary overtones - none of which occur on a well set up modern baroque lute. So, I'm wondering if you are interested in trying different bass strings? Perhaps even gut or silk-core wound strings that lute players use. I used to like old Kurschner basses.
None of this should take away from how impressive the Dresden is, and your playing on it!
Have you ever tried Aquila CD type strings?

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 1971
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:52 pm

Me? Yes, quite a while ago. I remember them to be quite good. In fact they might well be worth trying on the Dresden. If you do try them, please let us know.

Esquiline
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:12 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by Esquiline » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 am

Coming to these performances simply as a new listener with little to no previous exposure to this area of the repertoire, I just have to say thanks. That was beautiful and you've broadened my musical horizons.

User avatar
Alain Cloutier
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Puvirnituq Canada

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Sonata SW-49 - 13string guitar Video

Post by Alain Cloutier » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:56 am

Esquiline wrote:Coming to these performances simply as a new listener with little to no previous exposure to this area of the repertoire, I just have to say thanks. That was beautiful and you've broadened my musical horizons.
:bravo: I'm glad to hear that.

If you're interested I posted three others Weiss' sonatas on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=112&t=103641

viewtopic.php?f=112&t=94006

viewtopic.php?f=112&t=87792

:bye:

Return to “Our recordings of S. L. Weiss”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big bird, CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests