Weiss, S. L. - Fantasie

Audio and video recordings of the works of Sylvius Leopold Weiss.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Weiss, S. L. - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Weiss, S. L. - Fantaisie - D08 Baroque Lute Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
pogmoor

Re: Weiss, S. L. - Fantasie

Post by pogmoor » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:01 pm

This is an unmeasured prelude, originally written in baroque lute tablature (the original manuscript tablature version is written with no barlines). I haven't checked it in detail but I think the convention used in your copy is that accidentals apply only in the octave in which they appear.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Rylan

Post by Rylan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:25 am

Thanks pogmoor,

Is there anything concrete as a rule to hold onto pogmoor, as I want to be sure and the copy I have is from trinity publications and even when I searched the same piece on the internet I got an excerpt from this piece showing the music written the same way.

Rylan

Post by Rylan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:32 am

Pogmoor,
Occasionally we do find mistakes in trinity college books so just to be sure I cross verified it with a version on the internet.

clivepics

Post by clivepics » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:53 am

Brilliant! I am working on this piece and am gradually getting there. Loved your interpretation.

Rylan

Post by Rylan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:21 am

Guys is there anyone to help me out?
It would be appreciated!

attila57

Post by attila57 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:43 pm

:contrat:
Last edited by attila57 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

attila57

Post by attila57 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Rylan wrote:I overviewed the whole portion once again and understand that if any note is made sharped then the sharped note must be made specifically natural by putting a natural sign if it's required to be played natural again in the music anywhere further. But this is the only place in the picture I still didn't understand as to why he's playing as a g note at point 2 whereas in the previous line he's played g#. Here there's no natural sign to bring it back to be played natural.

Help would be really appreciated..

Thanks.
I'm a little bit into that piece right now and I believe there is some general disagreement concerning what to play at point No.1. First of all, the original lute version is c minor, not d minor. In the original c minor version at point 1 there's a f natural, but often fis is played instead. Likewise, in the d minor version gis is played instead of g natural. Point 2 is not marked in any manner in the original lute version, so, if f is considered correct at point 1, naturally f should be played at point 2, too. Then the question goes back to why fis is played instead of f at point 1. I have yet to look into that, but I think it goes back to the interpretation of the previous broken chord succession. Some chords can be considered in different ways, and fis might suit better into a particular succession. Some might like to stick to the original f. Presently, I'm working on a 7-string and a 10-string version, that's why I dare to say something about this issue, but I might be wrong.

Attila

attila57

Post by attila57 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Rylan wrote:Guys is there anyone to help me out?
It would be appreciated!
Hello Rylan,
That's me once again. I think you'd better check the original tabulature version, that'll give you an unambiguous answer.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:20 pm

Rylan wrote:Guys is there anyone to help me out?
It would be appreciated!
A facsimile of the original manuscript is here: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=48667 together with M. Delcamp's transcription (into E minor). M Delcamp has carefully transcribed the MS source into staff station and his version shows an A sharp at the first point and an A (without an accidental) at the second, corresponding with the G sharp and G in the Trinity College transcription that you have illustrated. Look at the facsimile (and it needs a bit of focus to sort this out) bearing in mind that the baroque lute is tuned: f' d' a' f d A G F E D C B A (with adjustments of the bottom courses depending on key - in this case ninth course is tuned to E flat rather than E, and the lowest two courses are not used). If you do this you will see that the corresponding notes would be transcribed as F sharp and F (corresponding to the key of C minor). This shows you that the G sharp followed by G natural interpretation is correct.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Return to “Our recordings of S. L. Weiss”