Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/03 Etude - D05

Audio and video recordings of the works of Matteo Carcassi.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carcassi, Matteo - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
lucy

Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/03 Etude - D05

Post by lucy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Hello again

Been having some fun playing Carcassi etudes this weekend. :)

No.3 has always been my favourite from his Opus.60.

By the way, I know the score is marked Andantino, I just like playing it a bit slower.

Please let me know what you think. Critiques appreciated.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Erik Zurcher

Re: Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/03 Etude - D05

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Lovely, Lucy. A bit slow, but I don't mind. Perhaps a little more dynamics, more drama? :bravo: :merci: :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

PeterLC

Post by PeterLC » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Incidentally; I've played this, several others from op. 60 and especially nr. 2 (which I've really set my teeth in, played it in full swing within half an hour) today for the first time in 31 years. Good fun. You get some things right here, very good tone! Now just speed it up a little bit, perhaps not quite in Andantino, but I feel this is just a tad too slow without any sense of "flow" to it. From what I hear, you certainly could pull it off technically.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Sounds very nice. I've always liked many of the 19th century guitar pieces played a bit slower as well...perhaps this one a little faster than you played it, as others mentioned.

Andantino is the diminutive form of andante, originally meaning slightly slower and it wasn't until the late 18th early 19th century that it came to mean faster. So since Carcassi fits roughly (1792 - 1853) into this era I think one could argue for either tempo being acceptable. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will have a different take on it...no matter, overall I like what you did with it.

Another one in this collection which I find fun to play is No. 7. Somewhere, I have seen the Carcassi notes on these studies and he tells that No.7 is to give exercise to the right thumb in playing with the fingers on repeated notes. So, the first measure "tremolo" figure and all those like it are played pipi. The right thumb gets a real workout trying to get that up to speed :chaud:
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:02 pm

:bravo:

Very nicely played.

If you like playing it a bit slower than you know it should be, then fine. Enjoy it. But I bet you could do just as good a rendition with the slightly faster tempo that we all think is more appropriate.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks for listening and the feedback everyone. :)

I had been wondering whether it was a bit slow myself and you have all confirmed that. Thanks. I'll try and upload an update soon.

Erik, you're right,it could do with a bit more drama too!

Scot, my edition of these etudes, lists the one I think you mean, as No. 9, in A minor. There's another version of it on this forum. This one has either been mistitled, or my rather old edition is incorrect. In any case, even if Carcassi stipulated to play it pipi, I'm much too lazy to learn it that way. I think I'll stick to pmim! Thanks for the info anyway. Gives an interesting insight into 19th century technique. I've heard they used the thumb on the treble strings a lot more than today. I think a lot of pieces of the period can sound quite different when played with contemporaneous techniques. I think David Starobin plays Sor using those techniques.

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Further to my last post, I have checked some other editions, that are freely available online and it appears my 30 year old Schott edition has the studies in a different order! Now, I think I'm renumber the incorrect ones. :wink:

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:03 pm

:bravo: Just beautiful, Lucy.

It's filled with emotion. I like it at this pace. Thank you

Lorette

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:31 pm

Sounds just wonderful Lucy! I'll take beautiful tone like yours and slower tempo any day :)

I actually prefer a lot of music at slower tempo - lets you hear the sound of the guitar itself better IMO. I like to hear RDLA really slow - almost to the point of the tremolo not sounding continuous...with good tone of course...otherwise it's not worth it.

Good work,
Tate
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:26 pm

I add my vote for this tempo, as well. It sounds very wistful, gently pensive at this speed.

I don't think it would sound as good too much faster; actually it could even go a tad bit slower. So there you are. Another opinion. :)
- Donnie

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks a lot Lorette, Tate and Donnie. :)

It seems there's a split opinion about my tempo. I suppose it depends on what you what you want to convey in a performance. If it's as slow as this, then it comes across as more romantic in style, but if it's played a certain amount faster, then it would sound more like a classical period study, (which it is, I know!). So, one could argue that the latter is more "correct", but I still think it's fun to experiment, with how the same notes can be made to sound. :casque:

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:25 pm

lucy wrote:Thanks a lot Lorette, Tate and Donnie. :)

It seems there's a split opinion about my tempo. I suppose it depends on what you what you want to convey in a performance. If it's as slow as this, then it comes across as more romantic in style, but if it's played a certain amount faster, then it would sound more like a classical period study, (which it is, I know!). So, one could argue that the latter is more "correct", but I still think it's fun to experiment, with how the same notes can be made to sound. :casque:

This piece is seemingly simple, but it does have more to it. The constant conversation between two bass notes and two treble notes (bass notes on beats 4 & 1, trebles on 2 & 3). On each of the note pairs, one of them is more important than the other one. Feel those pairs and make them sing.

So, try playing it without the triplets in between the basses and melody notes, find the tempo, accents and everything, then add the triplets back without changing anything else. :)

I'm repeating myself, but you do get a good tone from your guitar. Very enjoyable.

-Jouni
Learn Finnish, part 1:
ice-cream cornet: jäätelötötterö

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks for commenting Jouni. :)

Glad you noticed my tone. I've worked hard on that!

You're absolutely right about the interplay between those pairs of notes. Funnily enough, I was aware of the way they interact, but obviously, I wasn't making this anywhere near clear enough in my rendition. It's a good idea to practice those notes in the way you suggest.

I have been told that when performing a piece, one has to make the expression employed, absolutely clear, by what may seem like, (to the player), an exaggeration. I've yet to learn this properly! I am a bit "lazy" about listening more carefully, to ensure that what I want heard, actually is heard. However, I am now approaching this issue. In fact, playing expressively, much more demonstrably, is my main focus, at the moment. Thanks for highlighting the issue for me again!

Zarahn

Post by Zarahn » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:22 am

Nice guitar playing. Thanks for posting.

attila57

Post by attila57 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi Lucy,

I haven't spent much time on delcamp.com lately, but I've spotted this piece straightaway. It sounds just fine to me...
By the way, I've got a fine CD recording of all the Carcassi etudes, and, as I remember,the tempo of No.3 is very peaceful and romantic, quite similar to that of your interpretation.
On that CD the piece has a bit more drama in it, but you build up emotion towards the peak very effectively, too.
Thanks for the nice performance.

Attila :merci:
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

Return to “Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi”