Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/07 Etude - D06

Audio and video recordings of the works of Matteo Carcassi.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carcassi, Matteo - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
lucy

Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/07 Etude - D06

Post by lucy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:23 pm

Hello again

Just like to share my practice recording of this etude. I've always found this one quite exciting to play!

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

crisscross

Re: Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/07 Etude - D06

Post by crisscross » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Overall very nice! At some points the repeated notes sound a tiny bit stuttering (like country guitar chickenpicking :wink: ). May I ask what right hand fingering you use for those passges? p-a-m-i or p-i-m-i?
Im practising the same study at the moment, I'm using a Noad edition where the fingering is p-a-m-i. It will take me some time until I'll play as fluently as you though. :bravo:

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:08 pm

crisscross wrote:Overall very nice! At some points the repeated notes sound a tiny bit stuttering (like country guitar chickenpicking :wink: ). May I ask what right hand fingering you use for those passges? p-a-m-i or p-i-m-i?
Im practising the same study at the moment, I'm using a Noad edition where the fingering is p-a-m-i. It will take me some time until I'll play as fluently as you though. :bravo:
Thanks for your comments. I'm using p-m-i-m. I agree that the issue you outline is the main problem with this rendition. I think when I play it at this speed my fingers sort of trip over one and other. It may be something to do with the fact I usually push the string in quite a bit, when playing slower pieces, in order to produce a fuller sound. However, it appears that when playing repeated notes on a single string, at a very fast tempo, this doesn't work and one maybe has to play these kind of passages with a lighter touch, using mostly the nail and less flesh.

Personally, I don't agree with Noad's fingering of p-a-m-i. The passages in question are not examples of tremolo and the emphases in the group of four notes are different. In each group of four, the strongest note is the first one, followed by the 3rd. I think most players would find that emphasising the third note, using p-a-m-i very difficult. If you play it p-m-i-m or p-i-m-i, I would think that's easier.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

crisscross

Post by crisscross » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:49 am

Personally, I don't agree with Noad's fingering of p-a-m-i.
From a point of view of getting the best sound possible, you are absolutely right. I recorded myself yesterday and it sounded a little uneven with the p-a-m-i fingering.
But for me , the main purpose of this study is to work on my picking mechanics using all four fingers involved, so I guess I'll stick to Noad's fingering for a while and then go on and play something technically less challenging. Once again: Respect for your performance. :merci:

Allister Slingenberg

Post by Allister Slingenberg » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:21 pm

I have just finished a lot of the etudes in op.60 by Carcassi and I would recommend slowing down and focussing on tone quality. Having said that, I think your tempo is the right one! Thank you for your rendition. Also gives me some perspective/benchmark for my own work!

Return to “Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi”