Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/03 Etude in A - D05 Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Matteo Carcassi.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carcassi, Matteo - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Moje

Re: Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/03 Etude in A - D05 Video

Post by Moje » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:57 am

Great playing Lucy. I have no criticisms, only observations; you do a great job of highlighting the three parts, treble, bass, and accompaniment, in this deceptively complicated piece. Also your sound is strong and sweet all the way through, not a misstep. Truthfully I like this piece a little faster but it's just an opinion, also I'd let the bass notes ring a bit between sections, but that's just me.

Frankly I spend more time listening to my Delcamp compatriots than to the big names these days, it's fascinating to hear all these great, relatively unknown players from about the globe. Cheers.
2014 Michael Thames 650mm Cedar & IRW
1976 No. 10 Sakurai 660mm Spruce & IRW

Annette

Post by Annette » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi Lucy,
well done!

Just two suggestions:

1. Transition bar 15 (b-minor to c sharp major)
This transition has not to be a dangerous, strenous jump...
Maybe try to loosen the barre at the end of bar 15 as much as possible (you don't have to press down string 1 there anymore!), and for the b sharp (bar 15, beat 4) I would take the third finger, which I afterwards use as a guiding finger to get to the c sharp major chord (bar 16) in a much smoother manner, because then my second finger doesn't have to jump and I can prepare smoothly its position during the way up to the ninth position.

2. Be aware of unnecessary tension in your body!
Of course we can't play guitar without any tension.
But I think, it is very important to be aware of the tension we build up in our bodies while playing and always to check whether a tension is necessary/helpful at all, and even if it is necessary/helpful, to release it as soon as possible.
Watching your playing I've got the impression, that you' re pressing your lips together (maybe also your teeth) - and that surely doesn't help you to play better, but probably causes other tensions in your body and mind.
When I played with this kind of tension in my face, one of my guitar teachers often said: "We p l a y guitar, we don't fight against an evil foe!"
With this in mind you could play this piece or couple of times without any caring about mistakes, but just being aware, what your lips and your teeth do and then trying to release all unnecessary tension.
You will feel and hear the difference!
Yours Annette
Last edited by Annette on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArthurG

Post by ArthurG » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Lucy,
I enjoyed listening to your video, thanks for making it. Really I am unqualified to pass comment as I probably would not play it as well. I felt you could be a bit more relaxed, not easy when you're recording (certainly not for me). I agree with the comment that a bit more dynamic variation would have added something to it.

You have convinced me to look out this piece and learn it.

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue May 12, 2015 3:53 pm

Moje wrote: Frankly I spend more time listening to my Delcamp compatriots than to the big names these days, it's fascinating to hear all these great, relatively unknown players from about the globe. Cheers.
Thanks so much Moje! :D

I agree. There's a lot of "unsung heroes" out there. And, as someone once said on this very forum, it's not always the best people who "make it".
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue May 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks so much for your lovely comments everyone. :)

Sorry for the delay replying. Circumstances have conspired to keep me away from this forum for a while!
Annette wrote: Be aware of unnecessary tension in your body!
Yes, you're quite right. But, I think most of it originates in my mind. This started particularly when I was going through a bad patch with my guitar. I do need to do something about it. Better late than never! Of course, playing to a video camera makes it ten times worse.

Moje

Post by Moje » Wed May 13, 2015 12:45 am

lucy wrote: Annette wrote:
Be aware of unnecessary tension in your body!

Yes, you're quite right. But, I think most of it originates in my mind. This started particularly when I was going through a bad patch with my guitar. I do need to do something about it. Better late than never! Of course, playing to a video camera makes it ten times worse.
I'm going through the same thing and over time recording helps (much the same experience as playing in front of people, though not as intense) but there's a nice trick that seems to help. When you're under pressure time seems to slow down, you're distracted by things that shouldn't distract you and the mental chatter (to borrow a phrase I read here in the forums recently) seems to intensify.

To get used to this I set the metronome at a very slow tempo . . . it's a funny thing, usually faster=more difficult, but try it out; as you get slower there's a point where this also gets more difficult, you make dumb mistakes that wouldn't happen at a more moderate pace. You have to focus. Bonus, you can hone in on the sound, at that speed you can think about striking the notes carefully.

Maybe it's just me and wouldn't work for everyone, but there it is.
Cheers,
m.
2014 Michael Thames 650mm Cedar & IRW
1976 No. 10 Sakurai 660mm Spruce & IRW

maton325

Post by maton325 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi Lucy, loved your playing of this beautiful piece by Carcassi.

cheers
Peter Mc

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat May 16, 2015 8:54 pm

lucy wrote:...
Fair point about my muting of the strings. I think it's a bit of a habit. Some else mentioned the same point, after he watched another of my videos. He suggested only muting them fully, with the whole hand, only at the end of a piece, partly to avoid the possibility that an audience member might think I've finished when I hadn't! Also, a good point. :wink:
Woops that sounds like me - no need to say it again then ... 8)

One teensy detail though; there are three emphasised bass notes in the piece - they come at an important point each time, moving the bassline up a step after a few bars of pedal tone. Once or twice you actually hit the preceding bass note if anything harder than the one with the accent (sfz/rf, depending on edition, don't have one to hand) which reduces the effect.

Also - look, it was so good I gotta be really subtle, OK? - at the tricky bar II at the end of the first section, really one should retain the 5th fret E for two beats, even though its written as though it should stop; so the E dissonance sustains until it resolves onto the D sharp resolution. :okok:

Stephen
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue May 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks for listening everyone. :)

And thanks for your detailed feedback Stephen. I think both criticisms are quite fair. Conclusion: I could be a lot more methodical in the way I approach my playing! :contrat:
Moje wrote: I'm going through the same thing and over time recording helps (much the same experience as playing in front of people, though not as intense) but there's a nice trick that seems to help. When you're under pressure time seems to slow down, you're distracted by things that shouldn't distract you and the mental chatter (to borrow a phrase I read here in the forums recently) seems to intensify.

To get used to this I set the metronome at a very slow tempo . . . it's a funny thing, usually faster=more difficult, but try it out; as you get slower there's a point where this also gets more difficult, you make dumb mistakes that wouldn't happen at a more moderate pace. You have to focus. Bonus, you can hone in on the sound, at that speed you can think about striking the notes carefully.
Thanks Moje. Yes, slow practice is definitely something I should do a lot more of. I just find it hard to motivate myself to practice that way. :roll:

Laura Joffe

Post by Laura Joffe » Tue May 26, 2015 9:30 pm

That's really pretty! Thanks for recording.

Return to “Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi”