Carcassi, Matteo - op.59 Andante

Audio and video recordings of the works of Matteo Carcassi.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carcassi, Matteo - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
delayedMusician

Carcassi, Matteo - op.59 Andante

Post by delayedMusician » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:15 pm

Some embellishments here and there, I have been practicing CG for 11 months so far

The tempo change (slower) in the second section is intentional....not a perfect take but I want to wrap it up and record all the pieces I have learned until now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

burtong

Re: Carcassi, Matteo - op.59 Andante

Post by burtong » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:51 pm

Very nice. You bring out the melody and the bass part well. Not sure about the need for the tempo change relatively early in the piece, but music is all about choices and you made one. Often, we do not and things end up half baked. This was not. Oh, ya, liked the embellishments, too.

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:46 am

Thank you my friend. One thing I am not happy about with the performance is that one or two notes didn't ring clearly. But then again that's the type of challenge that makes the CG different from the piano or another instrument,

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Sounded fine to me - well done. Almost every recording I make leaves me feeling like I could have played 1 or 2 notes better :/ Just the nature of this challenging instrument I suppose. If it's any consolation, you usually ending being your own worst critic...I didn't hear the one or two notes that you're speaking of...and I bet no one else did either! haha
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:44 pm

tateharmann wrote:Sounded fine to me - well done. Almost every recording I make leaves me feeling like I could have played 1 or 2 notes better :/ Just the nature of this challenging instrument I suppose.

You are quite right, it's really the case with everybody, even the very best performers. The legendary Ferruccio Busoni, after a performance, would get standing ovations and the sincerest appraisal of critics, but he was never satisfied, and as soon as the performance ended, he would rush back home to practice all the bits he thought he didn't play well. Sviatoslav Richter felt very similarly about his monstrous technique.

If that's how it goes with these wizards, what about us mortals :)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:41 pm

If that's how it goes with these wizards, what about us mortals :)
Spot on. :)
haha
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Gilbert Pépin

Post by Gilbert Pépin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:55 am

It's very well done, and with a very beautiful sound; the embellishments are also very pretty. :casque: But if I'm not mistaken this is not quite the original score, there are some small differences with the version I worked; who made this adaptation?
Gilbert, a student in the French forum

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:03 am

Gilbert Pépin wrote:It's very well done, and with a very beautiful sound; the embellishments are also very pretty. :casque: But if I'm not mistaken this is not quite the original score, there are some small differences with the version I worked; who made this adaptation?
Thanks, Gilbert. I myself am puzzled by these things when I notice them in pieces in books. This Andante comes from a Jerry Willard book, '50 easy solos', but there's written nothing that suggests it's an adaptation. I will check the Carcassi method and see how different it is. But I too have seen other pieces that seems to be different depending on the book. If anyone knows what's going on, I'd like to know too. :)

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:18 am

I have now checked what's written in the Carcassi method from an old print by 'Oliver Ditson Company' , now in the public domain. Yes there are differences, actually the version by Jerry Willard is more difficult. For example, the bass at the start of 2nd section is not E as originally written, but G, which makes things harder as you have to stretch between fingers 3 and 4 of LH, and 4 has to slide sideways while 3 is fixed on the low G, which requires quite a bit of finger independence.

But there's other things that I have improvised, for example the fast chromatic descending notes at 00:36.....these are still 'embellishments' but not in the sense of trills etc; they are passing notes. These are not in the score. Of course, one should not change too many things, i.e. the harmony for example, unless an arrangement is intended.

Anyways, I guess that if you look at every detail in music, it almost never ends :)
Last edited by delayedMusician on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gilbert Pépin

Post by Gilbert Pépin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:29 pm

delayedMusician wrote:...This Andante comes from a Jerry Willard book, '50 easy solos', ...
Thank you for this information. I did not knew the arrangements made by Jerry Willard, which seem to me very interesting. I like to work the pieces of Carulli and Carcassi, but it is true that a part of them may seem very "academic" and conventional. When listening to this andante I feel that Jerry Willard's arrangement give it a different "atmosphere". I did some research and saw that Jerry Willard also published baroque pieces and renaissance pieces; I think I'll look closer these publications and perhaps take advantage of the holidays to buy one of these books and work its content. :okok:

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Gilbert Pépin wrote:
delayedMusician wrote:...This Andante comes from a Jerry Willard book, '50 easy solos', ...
Thank you for this information. I did not knew the arrangements made by Jerry Willard, which seem to me very interesting. I like to work the pieces of Carulli and Carcassi, but it is true that a part of them may seem very "academic" and conventional. When listening to this andante I feel that Jerry Willard's arrangement give it a different "atmosphere". I did some research and saw that Jerry Willard also published baroque pieces and renaissance pieces; I think I'll look closer these publications and perhaps take advantage of the holidays to buy one of these books and work its content. :okok:
Well I think it makes little sense to think of the pieces as 'conventional'......it was the guitar music that was being played in the 1800's. I think it's a bit too convenient to say it's 'conventional' 200 years after it was written :) Actually these pieces, at the time, were considered at the very forefront of guitar music. And I think it still is, in it's own right.

Even more incorrect is thinking of them as 'academic'.....I think exactly the contrary, I think that the music of composers like Giuliani and Carulli, is very heartfelt and sincere......in fact, this is not really 'classical music', but more like popular music of the time, but still made very well, with the same care and skill as in classical music, if you will.

If you want 'academic', you gotta play some good ol' Bach or Weiss :)

As for Jerry Willard, yeah I have no doubts about him as an excellent player. Before buying his book, I have read all his bio and heard some recordings.
I also briefly corresponded with him, he offers Skype lessons if anyone is interested. However, I am doing well on my own, plus I don't have money for private lessons. I have to do it myself, which is what I have always done anyways.

Cheers

Gilbert Pépin

Post by Gilbert Pépin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:06 am

Your response shows me that what I meant was probably not said with the right words, but I do not speak English well enough to express myself accurately. I use Google translate to help me, and I see that Google used the word "conventional" to translate the French word "classique", and that if I re-translated from English into French is not the same meaning. "Classical" would probably have been better. It is also due to my broken English that I put the word "academic" in quotes.

Moreover, I forgot to mention in my previous post that my current level is between the end of the second year, and that it is at this level of practice that the pieces of the method of Carcassi seem "academic" to me, in the sense that harmony is usually based on very classical successions of chords: tonic - dominant - tonic, or tonic - subdominant - dominant - tonic, with or without passage into the relative minor. In my mind the word "academic" refers only to the form, and does absolutely not mean that the composer is not sincere in its expression!

Of course, for a more experienced guitarist, works from Carcassi and from Carulli contain much more original and personal pieces. But for now at my level, and even if the pieces are pleasant to play, they are not as "exciting" as other works can be. That's what I meant. The Jerry Willard's arrangement restores my interest for this piece by changing his color (at least for me !).

I hope that now my words say what I really want to say, and I think that I still have to improve my English to efficiently share here!

Return to “Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi”