Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/03 Etude

Audio and video recordings of the works of Matteo Carcassi.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carcassi, Matteo - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
cefyn

Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/03 Etude

Postby cefyn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:53 pm

My teacher's got me on the Carcassi Etudes - Here's op.60 no.3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/03 Etude

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:33 pm

Mighty fine Cef - your teacher's got the right idea and make no mistake, no. 3 is one of the true gems of the repertoire!

Ideally, we could hear a bit more of the falling away from the 2nd to the 3rd beat (I assume your edition has got those marked as a decresc? - not all do!) and while one can argue the point, even when its not marked, its still the thing to do. Plus, and no its not easy, that falling away - 'sighing fall' needs to be really legato ... which it mostly was.

I don't know if you were tensing up at a few points but the tempo moved a notch or two occasionally; while its not a piece to play as though there's a metronome in one's brain, I'd be careful not to let the changes in technical demand force the tempo up or indeed down.

Recording-wise ... is it a bit boomy? Maybe try a different mic position next time, further away perhaps?

Maybe no. 7 next?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

cefyn

Postby cefyn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:37 pm

Thank you Stephen - some great feedback there.

My score does have the decrease marked, but I'm still finding that tricky, I struggled to bring out the melody, too - my 'a' finger tends to be all or nothing at the moment!

I seem to struggle with tempo, too - especially in the bits where I have to stick my tongue out, if you know what I mean.

I record on a Zoom H1 - this time it was hand-held by my missus, and she did keep coming a bit close. My lad has borrowed the tripod, so I must chase him up on that.

I'm onto no. 4 at the moment, which is a whole new world of pain! I think my teacher said no.16 is next, so I don't know about no.7, I'll ask him.

Many thanks again Stephen, for your feedback - I really appreciate it.

Cef

wchymeus

Postby wchymeus » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:44 pm

Nice job! Definitely a must play, must keep, must play over and over again!
I use it as a warm up piece quite often and it's always well received in public as it is very romantic.

If I may, maybe your mic is too close, but I think you don't feel the two melodies: bass and treble. When you say that you struggle to bring out the melody, I think you focus too much on your a finger and not on the music itself. Try to hear the music, that is both melodies, and your hand will follow your brain and produce what you want.
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:58 pm

cefyn wrote:...
My score does have the decrease marked, but I'm still finding that tricky, I struggled to bring out the melody, too - my 'a' finger tends to be all or nothing at the moment!.

Well I always like to stress the extent to which all these studies should be regarded as musical entities first and foremost ... in which case we can say that for yourself right now, the technical thing of 'a' finger control - including the legato falling-away effect - is an important musical requirement!
As wchymeus points out, really hearing the musical effect - the bass-treble dialogue - is the thing. Technique-wise for a moment though, see if there is a tendency for the 'a' finger to be restricted by the 'm' finger which precedes it, and think about allowing the 'm' to return back out of the hand as the 'a' prepares for its stroke. It can be helpful to do the 'a' both rest and free stroke, the former being the less common approach in the modern age, but encouraging awareness and control.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

cefyn

Postby cefyn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:58 pm

Thank you wchymeus - some good advice there. I sometimes do forget to listen to the music!

Thanks again, Stephen - you've given me some food for thought there. I'll go through it really slowly and see if I can spot anything. I'll get my teacher to look at it, too

Cheers guys :)

mc1

Postby mc1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:25 pm

nice job., thanks for posting it!

:merci:

MBemmels

Postby MBemmels » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:07 pm

Nicely done! Maybe look for some areas to bring out different dynamics or tone colours, even if nothing is notated in the score. The Carcassi etudes are a lovely set of pieces, hope you enjoy learning them all!
2012 Douglass Scott Spruce top

cefyn

Postby cefyn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Thank you mc1 - glad you liked it

Thanks MBemmels - they are indeed lovely. I'm enjoying them very much. Thanks for your feedback, too

Cef

lucy

Postby lucy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:34 pm

:bravo: cefyn!

Very enjoyable. :casque: It's such a great piece! :)
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

botswanajohn

Postby botswanajohn » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:04 pm

I play it a touch slower and allow the second beat ( the first note of the treble melody) to sing through just a fraction longer before coming in on the third beat. I enjoyed listening to your recording. Thankyou.
1981 Ramirez 1a
1982 Asturias
If music be the food of love, play on....

gitarre26

Postby gitarre26 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Very good!

Return to “Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi”