Carulli, Ferdinando - op.333/03 Andante Grazioso - Romantic Guitar Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Ferdinando Carulli.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carulli, Ferdinando - op.xxx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carulli, Ferdinando - op.034/02 Largo - D07 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
powderedtoastman

Carulli, Ferdinando - op.333/03 Andante Grazioso - Romantic Guitar Video

Post by powderedtoastman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:59 am

Hello all! I am quite pleased with how this one came out so I had to share.
Op. 333 is a delightful and mostly easy collection that I discovered by chance while browsing the online facsimile collections a couple weeks ago. There are a couple of tricky things toward the end, and a couple of big Carulli cliches that get used multiple times but nonetheless this is an instant favorite bit of repertoire that I'll be able to bring back any time even if I set it aside for a while.

I hope you enjoy this short piece from the beginning! And I hope I captured the grazioso feel...

Youtube

tateharmann

Re: Carulli, Ferdinando - op.333/03 Andante Grazioso - Romantic Guitar Video

Post by tateharmann » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Lovely! Very tasteful indeed :) I don't think I had heard that one before - Carulli is usually hit or miss for me but there are a few that I really like and this shall be one of them. Oh yea, nice guitar too lol.
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks!

A lot of Op. 241 is on the dry and boxy side, but there are some keepers in there. Op. 333 is more consistently musical but not quite as much as Sor's Op. 44 and Op. 60 in my opinion. Still these are worthy of our time because they represent a slightly different musical style compared to Sor.

I found another opus by Carulli that is a couple notches above 333 in difficulty, and there are a couple pieces in there that seem to give a nice gentle introduction to the heavier romanticism found in later Carulli works, perhaps a precursor to some of the next generation of composers... so stay tuned for that in a few weeks!

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:57 pm

I Look forward to that - I'm going to play through op. 333 the next time I pick up the guitar :) so much music and so little time :/

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:29 pm

Alright - so I dug around my Carulli music until I found this one last night, played through it a couple of times, and then recorded. It's still a little sloppy - as you'll hear on the recording. What a cool little piece, though - thanks for introducing it to us! I love the way the voices play with each other throughout. You'll noticed I played around with accenting the first beat as well..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:52 pm

Nice, thanks for sharing! Your guitar sounds nice and warm, and it's entertaining to hear how it sounds with a different approach.
I bet there will be something else in this opus that you would like too, I know I like most of it!

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Oh, so very nice! I enjoyed your playing of this piece and the guitar looks great! Thank you for sharing.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:40 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:52 pm
Nice, thanks for sharing! Your guitar sounds nice and warm, and it's entertaining to hear how it sounds with a different approach.
I bet there will be something else in this opus that you would like too, I know I like most of it!
Yea it's especially trippy to listen to yours and mine back to back as I'm tuned to a415hz instead of the standard 440 haha. I will check out the rest of the opus - another Carulli piece simply called "Lamento" caught my ear last night too - very pretty. It didn't have opus markings on it so I'll see if I can track it down. Thanks again and keep up the good practice!

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:34 am

tateharmann wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:40 pm
powderedtoastman wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:52 pm
Yea it's especially trippy to listen to yours and mine back to back as I'm tuned to a415hz instead of the standard 440 haha. I will check out the rest of the opus - another Carulli piece simply called "Lamento" caught my ear last night too - very pretty. It didn't have opus markings on it so I'll see if I can track it down. Thanks again and keep up the good practice!
I think we're actually tuned about the same! I tuned to E-flat which is close to 415 but I don't know if it's right on. Aquila says for the Ambra strings not to go above like 430.

EDIT -- BTW what mic do you use? I might have to look into that. I just bought a GoPro for better video, wouldn't mind getting a little better audio going here too. Make my channel just a little more professional.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:39 am

spanishguitarmusic wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 pm
Oh, so very nice! I enjoyed your playing of this piece and the guitar looks great! Thank you for sharing.
Thanks! I'm very happy with this guitar, and really enjoying these simple miniatures at a relaxed pace more than trying to go for the masterpieces that everybody gravitates to.
I'm learning something with each one and gradually becoming a more consistent player this way, so when I finally do decide I'm fit to get to the dazzling repertoire, I'll be well equipped with skills and experience!

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:44 am

Oh right! I forgot you had Ambras on there haha. Yep E-flat is a415 :)

The recorder is a Tascam DR-40 they are awesome for the money, although there are other good quality portable digital recorders like the Roland/exEDIROLs. I used to use the whole song and dance with condensor mics and mixer but the portable recorder replaced all of that and sounds just as good to me.

I found the opus and number of the piece entitled 'lamento' in one of my books : op. 333 no. 7

I great opus indeed! Ha

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:24 am

tateharmann wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:44 am
Oh right! I forgot you had Ambras on there haha. Yep E-flat is a415 :)

The recorder is a Tascam DR-40 they are awesome for the money, although there are other good quality portable digital recorders like the Roland/exEDIROLs. I used to use the whole song and dance with condensor mics and mixer but the portable recorder replaced all of that and sounds just as good to me.

I found the opus and number of the piece entitled 'lamento' in one of my books : op. 333 no. 7

I great opus indeed! Ha
Cool, I have a DR-05, we'll see how the quality is on that one for now I guess! It was reasonably cheap.

Interesting, the facsimile edition of Op. 333 that I am working out of has #7 listed as "Andante Doloroso."
I like that one but have a little trouble with the left hand on the chords at the end. I'm sure I'll get it with a little metronome practice though!

Next on the list for me is something out of Op. 124 I believe!

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:28 am

Whoops, meant to edit my post but quoted it by accident. Well Google says "doloroso" is "painful" so that fits with lamento!

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:14 am

Yes, the original pdf scan I have lists it as "Andante Doloroso" but for some reason the book I first found it in (Francisco Tarrega and Ferdinando Carulli a Student's Guide by Mel Bay) lists it as "Lamento" and omits the opus info, go figure!

Have fun with 124!

Return to “Our recordings of Ferdinando Carulli”