Carulli, Ferdinando - op.121/01 Waltz

Audio and video recordings of the works of Ferdinando Carulli.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Carulli, Ferdinando - op.xxx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carulli, Ferdinando - op.034/02 Largo - D07 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
George Crocket

Carulli, Ferdinando - op.121/01 Waltz

Postby George Crocket » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:51 pm

I am enjoying playing lots of Carulli these days. This is a pleasant simple waltz which I have posted with two aims.

Firstly, this is the first time I have ever posted a recording. I get quite a bit of performance anxiety (not that I really perform) and I would like to deal with that. If I can make and post recordings regularly I hope that will help.

Secondly, I have recorded the same piece twice. In the first recording I am playing my Stephen Eden classical, recorded with a Yamaha Pocketrak microphone.

Carulli Op 121 No 1 (Eden).mp3

In the second recording I am playing my Aria Sinsonido travel/silent guitar, recorded with a direct line connection to the Pocketrak. I did originally post it here, but had to delete it since it was against the rules. You should be able to hear it here: http://www.sound click.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10277908&q=hi.

Neither recording has been processed in any way except for cutting off leading and trailing noise using Audacity.

The reason for posting the two versions is to give anyone interested in the Sinsonido the opportunity to hear what it sounds like in comparison to a "real" guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by George Crocket on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

lagartija

Re: Carulli, Ferdinand Op121/01 Waltz

Postby lagartija » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:13 pm

:bravo: Very nice recording, Jamiecrock. Your Steven Eden has a very nice sound. :D
The track played with the Sinsonido is.... sin sonido (without sound) :lol: Well.... I really mean that the volume level is MUCH much lower than in the first track. So perhaps you need to record that at higher input volume.
I'm not sure your post is allowed by forum rules to have two files of the same piece, so don't be surprised if a moderator deletes the second one. I'm not sure how to include a "sound sample" of the Sinsonido.... since you can only post MP3s here in this section and not where the discussion about the Sinsonido takes place. :?
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

aNovitiate

Postby aNovitiate » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:25 pm

NICE job, JamieCrock. Terrific initial result.

While I can hear where you characterize the Sinsonido as 'twangy', another take on it is that it is very warmly harmonic, yielding those nice overtones one hears from a brand new set of strings, especially the basses. Now, I can just hear many confounded by the fact that it sounds different; but, I think that different can be (often IS) Good. Afterall, why do we move from soundhole toward the bridge? Why do we enjoy different woods in guitar construction? Why do we 'bend' strings, creating vibrato? ... for DIFFERENT sounds ... for a variety of sound effect(s). That's all part of why the guitar was compared to a mini-orchestra. That's a Great capability of a guitar.

My Kremona Sofia has a solid cedar top with gloss and solid African Sapelle (mahogany) back and sides with a thin natural finish ... that sounds very 'burly', compared to the harder traditional rosewoods that produce a more formal sound. Is one better than the other? Is the brighter, crisper spruce-top sound better or worse than the wamer, mellower cedar sound? Not by me - just DIFFERENT. "THAT's why they make both chocolate AND vanilla (ice cream)", as a wise friend once pointed out to me.

For example, the Sinsonido doesn't sound harsh-twangy or raspy (which it could have); the Sinsonido has a nice, warm, very harmonic inviting sound. THAT's what counts ... it's very pleasant to listen to it ... in my opinion.

You've done us all a Great service ... by Posting that comparison of the same piece on two very different instruments (even if it did break forum rules, regarding electric guitars and double posting; it was for a very worthy and worthwhile purpose - education of us all via legitimate comparison.).

So, THANKS for that very successful maiden Posting.

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:14 pm

lagartija

Thank-you.

I am aware the Sinsonido recording has a much lower volume. When playing it, it was actually louder - the record volume is a factor of the different method of recording. I could have processed it to increase the volume, but preferred to leave it as natural as possible.

Clearly I need to study the Forum rules a bit more :roll: .
George

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks for your comments, Mike.

I have sympathy with all that you say. There are times when I love the sound of the Sinsonido. For this particular piece, however, I was comparing it with a "proper" guitar. I felt much more at ease with the music playing it on the Stephen Eden, which is what I play every day.

I am sure that when I am away from home and have only the Sinsonido to play that it will sound very sweet.

I had an inkling that electric guitar recordings were not allowed, but thought that the premise for this recording was a reasonable one. So I hope it is not deleted.
George

sacs

Re: Carulli, Ferdinando - op.121/01 Waltz

Postby sacs » Tue May 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks for posting this George - lovely piece and well played, would love to hear more of your playing.

RHSOldboy

Postby RHSOldboy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:02 am

Thank you, George. I enjoyed listening to your first recording - very pleasing to the ear. I have tried my hand at this piece but, as a relative beginner, certainly haven't reached your standard of play to date!
For some unknown reason my computer would not open the URL for your second recording - will have to look into this.

Regards,

Robert.

Jojo

Postby Jojo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:53 am

Very nice, glad to know there are still other Carulli people around. Also, I had never heard of a Sinsonido before, so you learn something every day. I could not open that link either, maybe it doesn't exist anymore..
Thank you for sharing.

Aucaman

Postby Aucaman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:48 am

George Crocket wrote:I am enjoying playing lots of Carulli these days. This is a pleasant simple waltz which I have posted .......... this is the first time I have ever posted a recording. I get quite a bit of performance anxiety (not that I really perform) and I would like to deal with that. If I can make and post recordings regularly I hope that will help.

Way to go George!! :o
I fully understand your need to work on performance anxiety. And the only way to deal with it is .... to deal with it and perform. :lol:
That's a very powerful reason why I'm always forcing myself to find places to play in public. If you do the same, things can only get better.
I wasn't aware of that Carulli waltz. Very nice. :casque:
All the best :bye:

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:21 am

Thanks, Armando. That was posted a few years ago now. I have not really recorded anything since.

8) My tactic for dealing with performance anxiety now is just as you say - to deal with it and perform. the guitar and mandolin orchestra which I joined in 2012 gives regular performances and our next is in a week's time. At that concert I shall also be playing a couple of pieces as part of a guitar quartet. It's not the same as a solo recital, but it's a great way to get rid of stage fright.
George

Return to “Our recordings of Ferdinando Carulli”