Giuliani, Mauro - op.051/01 - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Mauro Giuliani.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Giuliani, Mauro - op.xxx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Giuliani, Mauro - op.033/10 Écossaise - D02 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Mark Featherstone

Giuliani, Mauro - op.051/01 - Video

Post by Mark Featherstone » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:16 pm

I'm not very happy with this. Sounds like I'm hitting out this piece with a hammer. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Youtube
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

Daniele Lazzari
Teacher

Re: Giuliani, Mauro - op.051/01 - Video

Post by Daniele Lazzari » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:14 pm

First, try to not accent all notes but give the right weight only to the first of each bar. Then try to play 'legato' the melodic lines. This will make clear the 4/4 rhythm and more beautiful the melody. Later, you can try to achieve the 'sforzato' where required.
Daniele Lazzari

"It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself" (J. S. Bach)
..You know, the guitar is a very special instrument! (D. Lazzari)

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:25 am

Don’t be so hard on yourself. This is actually a pretty good performance. Your tempo is apt and reasonably well controlled. Your tone is more than acceptable. I’ve heard famous guitarists give far worse performances—and be praised for it.

If your right hand touch dissatisfies you, here’s something you might try. Play a four string block chord (all four notes simultaneously) with p-i-m-a. Now, before playing a chord, press harder into the string with your a finger than with your other fingers, and play the block chord. If you do this correctly, you’ll hear that the note produced by a is a bit louder than the other three notes. Then try pressing harder with the m finger. Then try it with i, and then finally with p. Notice that by pressing into the string harder with one finger, you can make that note stand out from the other three as you play a block chord.

With good practice, you’ll be able play repeated block chords, accenting a different note at will. This obviously is a useful expressive skill. It also refines your right hand touch.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Mark Featherstone

Post by Mark Featherstone » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:10 am

Thanks very much to both of you, Tom and Daniele! This is valuable advice, and I will incorporate your suggestions into my practice.
Much appreciated!
Mark

Bruce Cockburn

Mark Featherstone

Post by Mark Featherstone » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Tom Poore wrote:If your right hand touch dissatisfies you, here’s something you might try. Play a four string block chord (all four notes simultaneously) with p-i-m-a. Now, before playing a chord, press harder into the string with your a finger than with your other fingers, and play the block chord. If you do this correctly, you’ll hear that the note produced by a is a bit louder than the other three notes. Then try pressing harder with the m finger. Then try it with i, and then finally with p. Notice that by pressing into the string harder with one finger, you can make that note stand out from the other three as you play a block chord.

With good practice, you’ll be able play repeated block chords, accenting a different note at will. This obviously is a useful expressive skill. It also refines your right hand touch.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Tom, this practice technique is proving most effective. Thanks again.
Mark

Bruce Cockburn

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:47 pm

Glad you’re finding it useful. I had this demonstrated to me about 25 years ago in a masterclass with William Kanengiser. Good stuff.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Return to “Our recordings of Mauro Giuliani”