Giuliani, Mauro - op.119 Rossiniana no.1 – Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Mauro Giuliani.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Giuliani, Mauro - op.xxx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Giuliani, Mauro - op.033/10 Écossaise - D02 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
David Belcher

Giuliani, Mauro - op.119 Rossiniana no.1 – Video

Post by David Belcher » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:44 pm

I got the chance to play alongside a few others at the Triangle Guitar Society Benefit Concert this past May. I closed the first half of the concert with Mauro Giuliani's first Rossiniana (op. 119). There are more mistakes here than I would have liked, but I was really pleased with how it went nonetheless, especially with this beast of a piece. Hope you enjoy! (The guitar is a 2002 Eduardo Durán Ferrer, spruce top, Indian RW back and sides.)

Youtube
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

wevard

Re: Giuliani, Mauro - op. 119 Rossiniana no. 1 – Video

Post by wevard » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:06 am

I really don't mind about any of your mistakes and I would also be pleased if I could play this. Delightful performance!

David Belcher

Re: Giuliani, Mauro - op.119 Rossiniana no.1 – Video

Post by David Belcher » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Thanks, wevard!
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:58 am

Well done, David. One of my favorite Giuliani...

Concerning mistakes, they are insignificant in a musical performance like this one. Anyways, remember what Miles Davis said: "There are no wrong notes, only notes in the wrong places".
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Scot Tremblay wrote:Well done, David. One of my favorite Giuliani...

Concerning mistakes, they are insignificant in a musical performance like this one. Anyways, remember what Miles Davis said: "There are no wrong notes, only notes in the wrong places".
Thanks, Scot!

Peace,

dave b

guitarp

Post by guitarp » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:38 am

Very much respect sir! Not only that your playing is realy good, but you played it without sheet music. How long did you work on this piece? How long did it take to "nail" it? Did you start from the beginning and worked to the end or have you picked out special passages and worked first on them?

Greetings

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi guitarp,

Thanks for the nice comments. I think I probably worked on this on my own (before I worked on it with a teacher) for about six months, just playing from the beginning and going as far as I could before everything fell apart. I don't think I really got to the finale ("Vivace") for some time and there were a lot of other trouble passages that I hadn't really tried to play just yet. Once I started working on the piece with my teacher, though, I worked through it pretty quickly. At that point, we did go through it from beginning to end, but in my practice schedule I actually spent most of my efforts on the most difficult passages first. So I would work on, say, the introduction for my next lesson only for a couple of days in the week until I had it to a good place, but spend the rest of the week going through the finale or other difficult sections slowly. In total, I think I had been working on the piece for about a year at the time of performance. (I can't say how long I worked on it in lessons because during the time I had been taking lessons with my teacher I worked on a *lot* of other music, so there were many, many other lessons where I wasn't working on the Giuliani while it was still being prepped. I did, however, keep it in my practice schedule all during that time.). By the time I was ready to prepare for performance memorization wasn't all that big of a deal because I had been playing it and studying it for so long. Also I had three lessons just before the performance where I played the piece from beginning to end at least once each lesson without music so I could rehearse playing from memory—that helped a great deal because I had someone there with the music in hand who could say, "Wait. Did you know you're playing a G there instead of the B?" Hope all that helps. It's a challenging piece, but with slow study and methodical consideration of fingerings (in my opinion the most difficult thing about this piece) it is certainly accomplishable.

guitarp

Post by guitarp » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Thank you for your answer! I think it can be always helpful to talk with other players about their methods. :)

radioholik

Post by radioholik » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:19 am

Great effort!

:bravo:

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks, radioholik!

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:40 am

Very well played! How do you manage to stay focused for 20 minutes? I have a hard time staying 'in the zone' for more than 10 minutes.
Cheers Rutger

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi, Rutger. Thanks for the nice comment. As for staying focused, I think it helps, first, to be really well prepared, which means having opportunity to "perform" the piece as many times as possible. The more I played this particular piece away from the music and for other people the more I was able to envision a kind of aim and intentionality, a direction of the piece toward its goal and completion. Eventually with a piece like this you are able to just get lost in the fabric of the piece as a whole, the interconnections of each measure and each motif and each big section with one another. Listening to the piece as much as possible under as many different interpretations as possible helps with that too. Maybe these aren't helpful answers, but I think these are really what helped me to be able to focus. It also really helps that I just love this piece and I have my own interpretation that I was really eager to share—to allow the music to come alive once again for the first time. Hope this helps a little!

Peace,

David

Return to “Our recordings of Mauro Giuliani”