Lawson, Jeremiah - Sonata for Banjo and Guitar, I. Allegro - Duo Video

Audio and video recordings of our own compositions and our interpretations of those of other members published on the forum.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Saywood, Paul - op.15/01 Study in C, New Year - Video
or Can, Esim - Miniatur n.5 - Video
or Grant - Running Water - Duo (Username may replace surname and forename)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Jeremiah Lawson

Lawson, Jeremiah - Sonata for Banjo and Guitar, I. Allegro - Duo Video

Postby Jeremiah Lawson » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:13 pm

This is the first movement of my Sonata for Banjo and Guitar. I composed the sonata back in 2012 and wanted to compose the first movement as a straightforward sonata form, so I did. There's a bright, frisky introduction followed by a slightly pensive, slightly impudent first theme in G minor. A brisk contrapuntal transition leads into theme 2, which is in B flat minor and is a transposed retrograde of the closing phrase of theme 1. The development features a tongue-in-cheek quotation of a Beethoven piano sonata taken up on the banjo. The recapitulation presents the themes in G major rather than G minor, another Beethovenian homage but more in the spirit of Haydn in a playful mood than of Beethoven.

https://youtu.be/67A-bkkPt2o

Much thanks to Daniel Corr and Brett Parnell for performing and filming this piece. They did a fantastic job with it. I put the videos up on Christmas Eve since, with the slow central movement being a set of variations on a shape note hymn pertinent to the holiday season, it seemed a good time to post the videos.

This duo sonata is also a more recent addition to my large cycle of duo sonatas pairing the guitar up with woodwinds, strings and brass of which my Sonata for Tuba and Guitar and my Sonata for Ukulele and Guitar are also part.

Maxim Joan

Re: Lawson, Jeremiah- Sonata for Banjo and Guitar, I. Allegro

Postby Maxim Joan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:14 pm

Never seen playing a banjo that way, I remember a jazz banjo in the way swing.
It may be interesting but loses all its charm.
However good you are no doubt about it, beautiful music.
Maxim Joan. :merci:

RobMacKillop

Re: Lawson, Jeremiah- Sonata for Banjo and Guitar, I. Allegro

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Well done. I listened to all three movements. Good to see someone taking the banjo seriously. Check out Jayme Stone's work with banjo in a classical context, everything from his own compositions, to arrangements of Bach Contrapuncti. The banjo has a lot to offer once you get beyond the cliches. Also, if you have time, you might check out my banjo site: https://rmbanjo.com

Jeremiah Lawson

Re: Lawson, Jeremiah - Sonata for Banjo and Guitar, I. Allegro - Duo Video

Postby Jeremiah Lawson » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks for listening.

RobMacKillop, I've got to be out of town for a bit but I will definitely check out your site and I'm hoping to listen to more and write more music for banjo in the future. I've been sketching out some experiments in a fusion of ragtime style with fugue that I think might work for the banjo solo or banjo and guitar. I'll just have to see how things play out.

I've heard some interesting chamber music for banjo by Mark Sylvester but I'm still just getting started into exploring the possibilities of writing for banjo so recommendations are much appreciated.

Return to “Our recordings of Members' Compositions”