Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Audio and video recordings of our own compositions and our interpretations of those of other members published on the forum.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Saywood, Paul - op.15/01 Study in C, New Year - Video
or Can, Esim - Miniatur n.5 - Video
or Grant - Running Water - Duo (Username may replace surname and forename)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
bert

Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by bert » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 am

I think I should scrap it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Big bird

Re: Alink, Bert - Scrap It

Post by Big bird » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:40 pm

For me Bert, a tough listen, not my thing. That being said, it was played nicely. I assume you composed it, so hang on to it. It may just inspire something that you like more in the future?
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:28 pm

I like it Bert! I think it could serve as a prelude or movement in something larger or as an A section in a longer piece perhaps. IMO, it needs something to follow that provides some rhythmic contrast at this point. Sure, the musical language is going to turn some people away, but who cares? It has it's own beauty and logic. Carry on!
James

bert

Post by bert » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:47 am

Big bird wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:40 pm
For me Bert, a tough listen, not my thing. That being said, it was played nicely. I assume you composed it, so hang on to it. It may just inspire something that you like more in the future?
No problem. I did compose it, trying a twelve-tone technique (but missed one).
James Stephens wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:28 pm
I like it Bert! I think it could serve as a prelude or movement in something larger or as an A section in a longer piece perhaps. IMO, it needs something to follow that provides some rhythmic contrast at this point. Sure, the musical language is going to turn some people away, but who cares? It has it's own beauty and logic. Carry on!
Thanks James, at least that's one. What you suggest is so true for most of the pieces I write, they could be longer with more rhythmic contrast. That should be another thing I might try to learn.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:12 am

I like it too; the fact that I'm expecting more still is a good thing!

I wonder what would happen if you gave this a bossa nova rhythm, or introduced a lot of dotted notes, or romanticized it with some forte and pianissimo and long dramatic pauses...or made it a jig! (oh gee I see I'm just repeating James here...)

(of course, you know about a hundred times more about music theory than me...I'm a complete piker.)
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

bert

Post by bert » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:29 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:12 am
I like it too; the fact that I'm expecting more still is a good thing!

I wonder what would happen if you gave this a bossa nova rhythm, or introduced a lot of dotted notes, or romanticized it with some forte and pianissimo and long dramatic pauses...or made it a jig! (oh gee I see I'm just repeating James here...)
Thanks Jeffrey,
I didn't record it, but I have a repeat in the score. Maybe I should make a variation of that. Like I said earlier, I always find it hard to elaborate on what I started with.
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:12 am
(of course, you know about a hundred times more about music theory than me...I'm a complete piker.)
What makes you think that? I never saw much use for theory and it always seemed very boring, so never bothered with it. Only this year, while making those Händel arrangements, I discovered some youtube videos that showed me it could be fun. For example channels from Seth Monahan, Adam Neely, artofcounterpoint and Rick Beato. Those videos also showed me how very little I really knew. So, you probably only need half a year to get to my level of 'expertise'.

Return to “Our recordings of Members' Compositions”