Meister, Riff - Sketch in Am

Audio and video recordings of our own compositions and our interpretations of those of other members published on the forum.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Saywood, Paul - op.15/01 Study in C, New Year - Video
or Can, Esim - Miniatur n.5 - Video
or Grant - Running Water - Duo (Username may replace surname and forename)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
riffmeister

Re: Meister, Riff - Sketch in Am

Post by riffmeister » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:11 pm

Martin, Robert, thanks for your kind words! I have a bunch of recordings posted here. You should be able to find them by searching on 'meister', 'riffmeister', and 'williams'. (I can't seem to figure out what my name is)

Ramon......ha, ha.....this is what I think of your trade offer! :mrgreen:

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:23 am

riffmeister wrote:Martin, Robert, thanks for your kind words! I have a bunch of recordings posted here. You should be able to find them by searching on 'meister', 'riffmeister', and 'williams'. (I can't seem to figure out what my name is)

Ramon......ha, ha.....this is what I think of your trade offer! :mrgreen:

Ouch! That's what I thought you would say . . . But you wouldn't have been so capricious if I had remembered to mention that it is signed on the lower bout by Esteban. It seems he saw Picasso do that on a guitar owned by Manitas de Plata.

On another note (C) my curiosity tempo will have to wait for a few days - I'm busy polishing up my tremolo version of "Three Blind Mice."

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:37 pm

I played it at 80 bpm, and I kinda like the way it sounded. Love to hear you play it at that on the Esteban.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat May 03, 2014 3:29 pm

riffmeister wrote:Ramon, on my metronome it's played at about 108 bpm. What tempo would you like to hear it at? I can make another recording easily enough.....
Riff - Have you tried this at 80 or 85? I'm curious to know what you think. You said you would re-record it at a slower tempo. How about doing that, and maybe even play it first at the original tempo followed by the slower tempo back to back. Should be interesting.

Ramon

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sat May 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi Ramon, oops, I missed your April 25 reply. I will give it a go at the slower tempo, should be able to get to it in the next few days.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue May 13, 2014 7:08 pm

To paraphrase Rick in "Casablanca," "Play it again Riff." You mentioned you would play it at my suggested tempo of 80 to 85 just to see what you think.

By the way, Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam." However, he did say "Play it, Sam." On the other hand, first everyone said that Greta Garbo said "I vant to be alone," but then that was supposedly "debunked." But guess what - she really did say it. In the (fine) film "Grand Hotel," she says it twice within the same scene.

Anyway, play it again Riff.

Ramon

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue May 13, 2014 7:19 pm

!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Tue May 13, 2014 8:26 pm

Warm weather has been calling me.....lawn mowing, weeding, mulching, pergola staining. Ah, spring in the 'burbs.

I will try to get to this in the next few days, as there's rain in the forecast.....

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed May 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Metronome set for 84 bpm. Recorded on a 1971 cedar/Indian Bernabe.

Playing this piece slowly was more difficult than I was expecting.....any minor finger maneuvering miscues are plainly exposed for all to hear! (one is quite evident)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed May 14, 2014 5:40 pm

I like the slower tempo for the piece though your playing in the original recording hits me as more expressive.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed May 14, 2014 5:49 pm

I just put a set of D'Addario EJ45 normal tension nylon strings on the guitar for a little bit more mellow sound.
I just noticed that. One of my students just did a test of 12 sets of strings, one set per week, on his guitar (a Traphagen) and the J45s were the perfect compliment. Mellow, as you said. Yet clear and balanced. Guitars are so finicky.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed May 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Lawler wrote:I like the slower tempo for the piece though your playing in the original recording hits me as more expressive.
I'll admit I'm not "feeling it" at the slower tempo. Although when I listen to the first recording it does sound a wee bit fast. Maybe something in the mid 90s bpm would be the "sweet spot".......

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun May 18, 2014 3:54 am

Yes, on second thought somewhere in between would be just right. It gains something in emotion at the slower tempo, but loses something in vitality.

Ramon

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:59 am

Sounds like Goldilocks and the three bears. The first tempo is a bit fast, the second a bit slow, and the upcoming one will be JUST RIGHT! :-)

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun May 18, 2014 4:10 pm

petermc61 wrote:Sounds like Goldilocks and the three bears. The first tempo is a bit fast, the second a bit slow, and the upcoming one will be JUST RIGHT! :-)
I'm emailing you a bowl of porridge.

Ramon

Return to “Our recordings of Members' Compositions”