Barrios Mangoré, Agustin - Julia Florida - D08 Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08 Video
or Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - op.08/04 Valse - D08
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
glassynails

Barrios Mangoré, Agustin - Julia Florida - D08 Video

Postby glassynails » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Did this quick the other night. Is it too slow, too strict in timing? I found the more you play the piece, you tend to figure it out, but it's a tough one to pull off convincingly I think.

Youtube
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

tateharmann

Re: Barrios Mangore, Agustin - Julia Florida - D08 Video

Postby tateharmann » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:24 pm

Hey Glassy - I loved it. Really sensitive, great tone color - for me...perfect tempo.

I'm a slow-tempo junkie, though haha.

I remember seeing a thread by you asking if you were a mediocre guitarist. I guess that depends on your definition, that word usually has a negative connotation. If you mean amateur, then yes. But I consider myself the same. And that doesn't mean throwing in the towel and stopping improvement. Just like any professional, we continue to improve.

I think this recording stands out from the others in terms of playing, but maybe that's just me.

Here are a few easy things you can do to improve your recordings and recitals:
1.) make sure your guitar is always in tune (and it sounds great on this recording but a little off sometimes on others) and if it's tuned up perfectly but sounds off as you start fretting notes, maybe the intonation needs adjusting. You can check this with your tuner. Check each note up the fretboard on every string with your tuner and see if the notes tend to get sharp as you go up. If they do from frets 6-12, you can adjust intonation at the saddle. If they do at frets 1-5, you can adjust at the nut. The nut is more difficult but not impossible to adjust.
2.) if you're playing with nails, make sure you have no jagged edges and that they are as smooth as possible. Polishing with all of the grits of micromesh up to 12,000 does wonders for tone ;)
3.) Try to eliminate as much string noise from the left hand as possible. I think a little is ok and maybe even desirable, but we want to keep it at a minimum. There are a number of exercises that can be done to accomplish this.

Anyways, keep up the progress - I think this recording represents a new milestone in your playing. Great job!
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Renlab

Re: Barrios Mangore, Agustin - Julia Florida - D08 Video

Postby Renlab » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Nice job Glassy. As you said the more you'll play it, you will figure out the phrasing and put more feeling in it. From where I sit, you are definitely on the right track with this one. Keep up the good work.

Return to “Our recordings of Agustín Barrios Mangoré”