Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral l Preludio - D09

Audio and video recordings of the works of Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08 Video
or Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - op.08/04 Valse - D08
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
kloeten

Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral l Preludio - D09

Postby kloeten » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Dear Delcamp friends,

This Saturday I was fortunate to acquire a Bernabé Especial from fellow Delcamp member Ludwig - who makes a fantastic Cappucino as well by the way. I have now had the guitar for two days so I thought let's give it a try and record the Preludio Saudade - very hard to get the tone right on this piece so proably a good test for both the guitar and myself.

Probably the sound can get a little better when I get to know the guitar better and have put my favourite strings on.
Nevertheless I wanted to share this recording with you to celebrate 'new guitar day' and as always I would be very happy with any (critical yet constructive) feedback.

Barrios La Catedral Preludio Saudade.mp3

Best regards
Rutger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucy

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral l Preludio - D09

Postby lucy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:23 pm

Well played Rutger! :bravo:

My only piece of advice is to bring out the rises and falls in the melody line more. ie. improve the phrasing with more dynamics. There are places where it sounds just fine and others where it's a bit "flat".

Perhaps, you could listen to Costin Soare's fine recording, if you haven't already! :)
"Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves". James M. Barrie

kloeten

Postby kloeten » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:35 am

Many thanks Lucy for listening and your feedback! Will continue to work on this...

Steve O

Postby Steve O » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:35 pm

Enjoyable to listen to.

Bertran

Postby Bertran » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:03 pm

Hi Rutger,

I think that you are both very good! Guitar have lovely bell sound with expressive harmonic and bass that follow melancholy of the piece.
Your playing is emotional, I love it. I hope that one day I will learn this piece and know better about all problems that you've master.

Best wishes, Bertran II

kloeten

Postby kloeten » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:10 pm

Thanks Bertran and Steve for listening and commenting.
@Bertran - you are too kind! The high e, f# and g in the first phrase still can be improved in my view, softer, I have not yet found the magic touch there. The way I hear it, only when the melody descends to the high d the quality of tone is becoming adequate. Something to keep working on.

Bertran

Postby Bertran » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:36 pm

Hi Rutger,

When I say that for me it sound good I unfortunately always think about sound that I can produce. I am never satsified. Main reason is my hooked nail and I try everything (gut string, different nail file, spoon,...) to avoid hissing sound but it is not easy. I know that everyone who have strong and straight nails don't even think how can be frustrating and think that it is default. But it is not. It is a treasure!

Now I understand you better. I don't know do you have a problem with nails but I am jealous at sound that you can produce. Tonight I hear you again and think about your words. I am still satisfied with your playing but at the same time I have a feeling that you can produce a better sound, just need time, patients and dedication.

For me it is interesetingly that you can produce clear tone and wants more than that - it is praiseworthy attitude. I am sure that you will find what you are looking for (angle of RH, nails, different strings,..).
And once more, do not forgot about beauty and power of other strings (not only 1st E), they must be pretty balanced and accompaniment.

Bertran II

Return to “Our recordings of Agustín Barrios Mangoré”