Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral III Allegro -D09 Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08 Video
or Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - op.08/04 Valse - D08
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
orbiterred

Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral III Allegro -D09 Video

Postby orbiterred » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:13 am

Hey guys,

This is my first recording with my new Zoom H4n, i used my old Sony Camera to take the video so the vid quality isn't that great, but I'm pretty happy with the sound. Love the Zoom!

Cheers!

Rob

Youtube

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Mangore, Augustin Barrios : La Catedral III Allegro Sole

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:24 am

Congratulations, Rob!

:bravo:

Excellent playing of this very difficult piece. You make it look easy!

The H4 certainly does make top quality recordings. It picked up all your dynamics and the richness of your tone. Doesn't get better than that!

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed that!

Alan

sniggl

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral, III Allegro - D09

Postby sniggl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:10 am

:shock: Wow, that was really excellent!!!
I wish I could play just a little bit like you!

I like very much your tempo, its really a Allegro solemn.

:casque: :bravo: :bravo:

Stefan
Guitar: Sebastian Stenzel (2008)

"Es ist schon alles gesagt, nur noch nicht von allen." ( Karl Valentin)

Vesuvio

Postby Vesuvio » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:25 am

Hello Rob,

That is a lovely recording and beautifully played! :bravo:

Thank you very much for sharing this with us,

Best wishes, V :D :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

orbiterred

Postby orbiterred » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks guys! I've had this one in my head for a few years now, finally starting to come together :oops:

lucy

Re: Mangore, Augustin Barrios : La Catedral III Allegro Sole

Postby lucy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Tarbaby wrote: Excellent playing of this very difficult piece. You make it look easy!

You certainly did! It was so fluent and smooth. :bravo: :casque:

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but one thing I think you could do to improve it further is to use more dynamics. You have it completely nailed technically - so I would think that you could put in more of these relatively easily and raise this performance up another level.
Personally, I struggle with this piece. You did a great job! :merci:
"Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves". James M. Barrie

orbiterred

Postby orbiterred » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi Lucy,

Thanks and I don't mind at all! I agree with you completely, it's so funny as soon as I make a recording of something I immediately want to go back and change things. At the time I thought I was playing with my dynamics but I can see now that I could exaggerate a bit more in places, and I could loosen up on the phrasing a touch too. Maybe another 5 years and I'll have it where I want it ;) Thanks again, Rob.

Cary W

Postby Cary W » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks for posting. Well done...performance and recording. :)
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

brooks

Postby brooks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:34 pm

hey rob,
wonderful playing as usual. :bravo:
~brooks

GEO

Postby GEO » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi, Rob:

This was technically a very clean and adept performance, with a somewhat lyrical cast. The recorded sound was also very good. However, I felt that a lyrical interpretation goes against the traditional view of this movement. Tradition has it that the Allegro solemne conveys the hustle and bustle of a busy street in Montevideo--something that struck Barrios after the quiet and solitude of sitting in a church. What I heard in your performance was a lovely, lyrical cast, but, not much hustle or bustle. This is more a matter of the sound you are producing--round and full and not having much anxious "bite"--then tempo

Certainly you can adapt the music to produce more lyricism then hustle and bustle, as you have done. I don't think this does violence to the music as, for example, playing Bach with lots of rubato would. You will, however, have to deal with the "traditionalists" who want this movement to have "bite" and a sense of rushing. They will also make the claim that, after the slow and contemplative preceding two movements, a really contrasting closing movement is called for, one that really gets the adrenaline going. Personally, I fall into this particular camp and I'd be interested in hearing your take on this issue.

Cheers,

geo
(US) (GER) The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own - Disraeli

KeMe

Postby KeMe » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:41 am

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
Wow!!
Rob, that was fantastic! This is an incredible piece to begin with, but you have played it masterfully.
Personally, I like the more lyrical way that you have used here, it was beautiful.
Thank you for sharing your music with us.
:merci:

Kay
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

orbiterred

Postby orbiterred » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:37 am

KeMe Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed!

Geo Thanks for the comment, please permit me to elaborate a bit. I'm very familiar with the story surrounding the piece and my take on it is as follows: To me the Allegro Solemne doesn't necessarily represent a bustling busy street as much as it represents the emotion of someone witnessing this "hustle and bustle". Growing up in a very rural area and then moving to a busy city to study I can't help but feel a sense melancholy or longing for a simpler existence at times (my hometown consists of 1 street and zero street lights! :P) and I imagine this to be what Barrios had in mind when writing the piece, especially since to me the Solemne conjures up a more introspective meaning/feeling. And with absolutely no disrespect intended I think if you worry too much about what the traditionalists think you'll find it very hard to break any new ground ;) Cheers! Rob

GEO

Postby GEO » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for that explanation, Rob. You might be on to something regarding Barrios' response. Great art often permits more than one valid interpretation and tradition, by definition, is only one interpretation.

geo
(US) (GER) The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own - Disraeli

sniggl

Postby sniggl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:02 am

I am with Rob. I think before you enter the Catedral the scene on the street is only this "hustle and bustle". But after visiting the Catedral your mind has changed. Therefore the solemn charakter of this Allegro is very important. And you can not play it "solemn" if you play it too fast.

My two cents.

Stefan
Guitar: Sebastian Stenzel (2008)

"Es ist schon alles gesagt, nur noch nicht von allen." ( Karl Valentin)

GEO

Postby GEO » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:17 pm

sniggl wrote:...the solemn charakter of this Allegro is very important. And you can not play it "solemn" if you play it too fast.

My two cents.

Stefan

Actually, according to my dictionary, "solemne" not only means "solemn" but it means "completely" or "utterly" as, e.g., you would say "he is utterly (completely) reliable." In this regard, "Allegro solemne" could be interpreted as "allegro molto" or "allegro assai." That would seem to emphasize a more hurried and less lyrical interpretation. A "solemn" allegro comes close to being an oxymoron when you focus on the root meaning of "allegro", viz., happy or cheerful.

But my preference for the faster, more hurried style stems from providing more contrast to the contemplative, and slower, first two movements. I think, when treating all three movements together as a single piece, a faster third movement, with more bite, provides the more complete experience. Who knew that Barrios could be a controversial as...health care! :lol:

geo

Return to “Our recordings of Agustín Barrios Mangoré”