Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral III Allegro -D09 Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08 Video
or Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - op.08/04 Valse - D08
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
GEO

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral, III Allegro - D09

Post by GEO » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:39 pm

andi33x wrote:...But I remember now where I have read this information. It was in the enclosure of an old disc of JW's recordings of Barrios works. But this disc is 30 years old and I don't have it at the moment.
Well, 30 years is before Richard (Rico) Stover's Barrios 1992 biography and that's the most comprehensive source of information we have to date on Barrios. Stover lived and traveled in Latin America for some time and is also an editor of Barrios' works. Williams, of course, was one of the catalysts that got Barrios into the public's attention after 30 years of neglect.

geo
(US) (GER) The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own - Disraeli

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:20 pm

GEO wrote: Well, 30 years is before Richard (Rico) Stover's Barrios 1992 biography and that's the most comprehensive source of information we have to date on Barrios.
Well -at least on this topic- to be an "oldtimer" was definitely not an advantage...
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

GEO

Post by GEO » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:36 pm

andi33x wrote: Well -at least on this topic- to be an "oldtimer" was definitely not an advantage...
:lol:

I'm now 65, and I couldn't agree with you more about being an oldtimer. :shock:

geo
(US) (GER) The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own - Disraeli

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:03 pm

GEO wrote: I'm now 65, and I couldn't agree with you more about being an oldtimer. :shock:
geo
Uupps, I saw your avatar picture and thought you were at most 35....
We see again: Playing guitar lets people feel and look young. I am an oldtimer since I didn't play guitar between the ages 24 to 49. So I am 25 years older in reality. :lol:
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

GEO

Post by GEO » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:48 pm

andi33x wrote:...Playing guitar lets people feel and look young. I am an oldtimer since I didn't play guitar between the ages 24 to 49. So I am 25 years older in reality. :lol:
But drinking that herzliches bayrisches Bier keeps one young, good-looking and optimistic. :ivresse:

geo

laurentli

Post by laurentli » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:54 am

That is really great! :bravo:
I think I need two more years practicing to play this piece.

orbiterred

Post by orbiterred » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:58 pm

Thanks!

Ameretat

Post by Ameretat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Let me start by saying that I enjoyed your playing very much. It's an interesting touch and it was definitely worth the time. But won't you speed it up at some point? Be honest: You KNOW you want to! :lol:

Anyway, thanks for sharing this video with us. I'll look around for other stuff you have posted here, or will post in the future.

orbiterred

Post by orbiterred » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks Ameretat, Glad you enjoyed :)

hahaha I dont know if I do, I've been playing this piece for going on 5 years now, and technically I can push a fair bit faster without feeling too stressed, but this is the interpretation I've arrived at over that time and to me it sounds as it should :) Everything in this world has gotten faster, I think maybe it's a little more effective this way.

Cheers!

Rob

Bailey

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral III Allegro -D09 V

Post by Bailey » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:50 am

Great performance! Thanks for sharing.

FMI - what guitar are you using when you play the allegro solemne?

Bailey

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Rob, I cannot thank you enough for this video. I'm studying this particular piece myself, and your video is not only enjoyable but also quite useful for me as a source of reference and inspiration.

I'm almost done with this piece as far as the fingering, now I"m trying to get it to flow as smooth and clean as what you have shown.

Thanks again!
ivan
orbiterred wrote:Hey guys,

This is my first recording with my new Zoom H4n, i used my old Sony Camera to take the video so the vid quality isn't that great, but I'm pretty happy with the sound. Love the Zoom!

Cheers!

Rob

Julio Galindo

Post by Julio Galindo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:28 pm

I really liked your interpretation Rob!
The sound was amazing and it was a very clean performance. I prefer the more ¨agresive¨ and why not faster version, but this is something I had never seen before and seemed very authentic.

Julio

guitargeorge

Post by guitargeorge » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Fantastic interpretation and playing. Sort of a laid back hurry. I relate well to the idea of Agustin having a chilled out take on the hustle and bustle outside the cathedral. Certainly when I have done something meditative, the world seems a bit more relaxed, not just me.

I have just started work on this myself this week, but I am at best a few months away from being able to perform it.

Leo Barahona

Post by Leo Barahona » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:25 pm

GEO wrote:
andi33x wrote:Isn't it a fact that Barrios did not write down his music? I don't know that exactly but I heard that or red that in a score. Then the tempo has been added by someone else who wrote the score from hearing the recordings of Barrios.

So for me solemn is in reality an english word here. And its meaning fits to a cathedral and has nothing to do with the speed itself in the first instance.
That's not quite correct, Andi. According to Rico Stover's biography of Barrios ("Six Silver Moonbeams"), Barrios was very negligent about writing down his music. In fact, once his friend Borda y Pagola, with whom Barrios was staying, locked him in his room and refused to let him out unless he wrote down the pieces he said he would. Barrios, incidentally, was a good calligrapher and artist. His cavalier attitude toward writing down his music might have come from his feeling that it was a gift to people and not something to be treated like property. Barrios' music is in the public domain (although he died in 1944) because he never secured the copyright.

In La Catedral, the word used is "Solemne" which is Spanish (English would be "solemn") and is definitely Barrios'. La Catedral was, in fact, written down by Barrios early on after it's composition in 1921. We know that when Barrios played it for Segovia in Montevideo in the 20's, Segovia requested a copy of it and Barrios said he would send it to him. According to Segovia, he never received a copy and that's why he never played the work (nor did he ever play anything of Barrios, having said once that Barrios was a poor composer for the guitar).

geo
Recently and after about 35 days I finally received my copy of Seis rayos de plata (Six Silver Moonbeams) directly from Paraguay. I am so excited to learn about the life of such a great genius. I had been looking for that book for very long time, and it was only about six weeks that I found it on e - b a y and it was the last copy they had. I purchased it right away; and even that it cost me $80.00 I am very happy with my book, especially because during my young years around the years 1961-1963 I studied classical guitar in the national conservatory of El Salvador, with my great teacher Don Jesús Quiroa one of the most advanced disciple of Agustín Barrios Mangoré. I still don’t understand why a great and knowledgeable musician like Andrés Segovia always despised Mangoré’s music and guitar playing. Segovia never played Barrios music and it is said that he referred to Mangoré as a poor composer.

slidika

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - La Catedral III Allegro -D09 Video

Post by slidika » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:56 pm

I am afraid to guess how long that would take me to learn to play ... Bravo! :casque:
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

Return to “Our recordings of Agustín Barrios Mangoré”