Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Un sueño en la floresta - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08 Video
or Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - op.08/04 Valse - D08
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Erik Zurcher

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Sueno en la floresta

Postby Erik Zurcher » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Here's one fact Moderato, you can't discern good playing from poor playing. I am not trying to demean you or anything, but yes again you can't discern good playing from poor playing.

Gentlemen, arguments only please!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Moderato

Postby Moderato » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:38 pm

earl wrote:Here's one fact Moderato, you can't discern good playing from poor playing. I am not trying to demean you or anything, but yes again you can't discern good playing from poor playing.

I've seen plenty of horrible, poor CG playing on youtube and in person. To say cyrloud plays "poorly" isn't accurate. You don't like his style and that's fine because you're entitled to your opinion.
03 Ramirez 1a CD/BR
06 Baroque Lute - 13 Course w/Bass Rider

earl

Postby earl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Playing classical music should be, and is in fact a matter of style. If someone was playing Bach, and was playing it in the style of Tarrega, then his performance is incorrect, not because I didn't like that player's style, but because the style he used is inappropriate. It's what is called "performance practice".
A piece like Un Sueno en la Floresta is a lyrical piece, which requires the melody line to be carried out as legato as possible, that was why tremolo was employed in the first place, so that the melody will hold longer than the guitar's sustaining capabilities. He played the piece too fast, and did not achieve legato, which should have been the first thing one works for(among many others) when learning pieces like this.

Moderato

Postby Moderato » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:16 pm

earl wrote:Playing classical music should be, and is in fact a matter of style. If someone was playing Bach, and was playing it in the style of Tarrega, then his performance is incorrect, not because I didn't like that player's style, but because the style he used is inappropriate. It's what is called "performance practice".
A piece like Un Sueno en la Floresta is a lyrical piece, which requires the melody line to be carried out as legato as possible, that was why tremolo was employed in the first place, so that the melody will hold longer than the guitar's sustaining capabilities. He played the piece too fast, and did not achieve legato, which should have been the first thing one works for(among many others) when learning pieces like this.

See I think this is where you and I differ. I don't mind if someone plays Bach in a romantic way (and I know it's not "correct"), but if it's done with sincerity then I can still enjoy the interpretation. Granted, I prefer hearing any piece performed in its proper context the majority of the time and I believe in the need to have historical accuracy but I also like to hear things a bit different sometimes, maybe a unique twist or a slightly different point of view. Variety is the spice of life.
03 Ramirez 1a CD/BR
06 Baroque Lute - 13 Course w/Bass Rider

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:23 pm

earl wrote:Playing classical music should be, and is in fact a matter of style. If someone was playing Bach, and was playing it in the style of Tarrega, then his performance is incorrect, not because I didn't like that player's style, but because the style he used is inappropriate. It's what is called "performance practice".

That's a very interesting comment and in essence I agree with it from an academic and musicological perspective. But I would make an analogy with the art of acting.
As we all know there are two kinds of actors; character actors who assume the nature of the person they're playing and actually become that person, changing utterly from role to role (Dustin Hoffman, Alec Guinness, Meryl Streep etc). And then there are actors who are just themselves, charming, charismatic and compelling, but, always the same (Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Ingrid Bergman etc). Cyrloud is like one of those, a musician who is just himself. Personally I find his guitar craft and his tone and his humanity very compelling indeed.

earl

Postby earl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:33 pm

oh ok that explains it.

earl

Postby earl » Sat May 01, 2010 1:21 am

Moderato wrote:See I think this is where you and I differ. I don't mind if someone plays Bach in a romantic way (and I know it's not "correct"), but if it's done with sincerity then I can still enjoy the interpretation. Granted, I prefer hearing any piece performed in its proper context the majority of the time and I believe in the need to have historical accuracy but I also like to hear things a bit different sometimes, maybe a unique twist or a slightly different point of view. Variety is the spice of life.

oh ok that explains it.

jomet

Postby jomet » Sat May 01, 2010 8:08 am

I liked it very much..
wonderful playing...
:bravo:
Thanks for sharing.
:merci:
"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."
--Paulo Coelho

ryanw9

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Un sueño en la floresta - Vide

Postby ryanw9 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:32 am

Wow, I had also seen and loved this on youtube. Nice to be able to say thank you directly.

attila57

Postby attila57 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:09 pm

Wow Cyrloud! That's been a feat of endurance.
I've just watched your video. You're a brilliant player.
And Augustín Barrios is probably the greatest composer for the guitar...
It's easier for you to play Barrios, because you have large hands.
As I can see, even you had to stretch sometimes...
He had a shorter (guitar) neck, I think.
Thanks for posting this lovely piece.
Attila :chitarrista: :grire: :merci:
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

Rude Mood

Postby Rude Mood » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:03 am

I don't know whether this performance is "perfect" or not. All I know is that I truly enjoyed every second of it. Wonderful!

el Corcobés

Postby el Corcobés » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 am

Wow................!!!!!!!!!!!

glassynails

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Un sueño en la floresta - Video

Postby glassynails » Sun May 03, 2015 12:40 pm

In my honest opinion the scale run was a lot better than I can do at the moment, albiet a lot of notes were "smudged". The only thing I don't like is the tremolo itself. The tremolo is very "gallopy" and not even. I don't agree that "the piece is above his level", etc, it's just his tremolo needs "evening out", that's all.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

nmshu1

Postby nmshu1 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:50 am

earl wrote:
cyrloud wrote:Hello my friend

this a vidéo I made some months ago

tell me if you like it

thanks
Cyrloud

Youtube

hello friend,

I think you are playing this too fast for your technical abilities. The scale in the middle part lost it's tension and sounded, well, hilarious. the whole piece was too fast, sacrificing legato on the melody and proper phrasing and "singing" of the lines. It was a great effort though, maybe next time play something that suites your technique level.

Just my opinion. I don't think it's right that when one forum member says bravo, everybody else follows.

Earl

I agree with you.

First I am a fan of Cyrloud. He plays some songs at the top of the world better than anyone!
However I know he is amatur from this playing. He plays poor for it. Most of professional players play better than him for this repertoire.
Otto Vowinkel Concert 650 / Juan Hernandez Torres 640 / German V. Rubio Concert 635
Kenny Hill Performance 630 / Córdoba C9 650 / Sweet Tone 640

Desperado

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Un sueño en la floresta - Video

Postby Desperado » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:12 am

Nice to hear the high c.

Return to “Our recordings of Agustín Barrios Mangoré”